Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor Major flimflam

scroadkill

I shoot uspsa in limited.. currently in transition from minor to major running a TSO host with a pair of uppers..
I also have a sao sp01 bull shadow 9mm I'm quite fond of. similar belt rig and mag placement.
I'm short on 180gr 40sw - but have mountains of 147gr 9mm.

I want to shoot major when the match counts, minor when it doesn't really matter. I think I can swap back and forth without a hick up.

change my mind

43 minutes ago, scroadkill said:

I want to shoot major when itcounts, minor when it doesn't. I think I can swap back and forth without a hick up.

Try it.     :surprise:

Some people will probably have little difficulty with it, and some will have a LOT of difficulty.

A M shooter at my local club goes back and forth from .40 limited to 9mm major open with

about 15 minutes practice.   That would take me at least 120 minutes to be able to switch.

Maybe more.  And, I'm a low B.   He's a  M.

You might be able to do it - give it a try, see how it feels TO YOU .     :) 

Yeah, but he might make GM if he quit dicking around. 

Do you mean 147 projos or loaded ammo? Can you safely load the 147 9mm's to make similar PF to your major .40 loads? If so, seems like the difference would be pretty minimal other than perceived/timing of recoil. 

I do it all the time.  I practice with a 9mm Glock and compete with a .40 Glock.  I used to shoot limited minor in local matches as well.  One thing I always tried to do was switch to all major PF about a month before a big match.  I don't know if it's necessary.  I shoot the same time/hits with either setup.

I shoot uspsa in limited.. currently in transition from minor to major running a TSO host with a pair of uppers..
I also have a sao sp01 bull shadow 9mm I'm quite fond of. similar belt rig and mag placement.
I'm short on 180gr 40sw - but have mountains of 147gr 9mm.

I want to shoot major when the match counts, minor when it doesn't really matter. I think I can swap back and forth without a hick up.

change my mind

I don't think it's a bad idea as it's the same gun. However, you want to have similar timing of the gun because limited division is still about going fast.

If you're shooting powder puff 147 minor loads then you'll be slowing yourself down. Jack them up top 140-145 power factor of that helps you get similar cycling speed. Or try a really light recoil spring with the softer loads but you may get failures to go into full battery.

It's a good idea if you can the timing and feeling sort of close in both calibers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I load 9 major for $115/K using PD HPs. (Minor would be cheap as I could load coated)

I load 40 Major for $122/K using blue bullets.

Im not seeing the issue here. Just shoot major all the time.

Edited by Maximis228

Definitely an interesting idea. My only concern would be reliability. I would want to shoot the exact same thing at the matches that don't matter just so I know how the gun will perform at the matches that DO matter. Knowing my luck, I would have it run flawlessly at the matches that don't matter then have all sorts of malfunctions when I actually care about the match.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm of the mind that you shoot the same ammo in a major as a minor...  That's just me..   I ran sstk for two years, When I would go practice I wouldn't use a .22 lr conversion to practice then go to a match running .45 and expect the same performance.  That's just me...  As a 130PF rounds wont expose weakness in your grip like a 175 or 180 PF round would.  Some people can change with no issues... I am not one of those people.  I use the same guns and ammo no matter what.  When I'm training hard I don't even like to "check out" other peoples blasters as it isn't the same as mine.  Then again I'm a B Class idiot...  BTW... I miss your face @NickG013

I'm of the mind that you shoot the same ammo in a major as a minor...  That's just me..   I ran sstk for two years, When I would go practice I wouldn't use a .22 lr conversion to practice then go to a match running .45 and expect the same performance.  That's just me...  As a 130PF rounds wont expose weakness in your grip like a 175 or 180 PF round would.  Some people can change with no issues... I am not one of those people.  I use the same guns and ammo no matter what.  When I'm training hard I don't even like to "check out" other peoples blasters as it isn't the same as mine.  Then again I'm a B Class idiot...  BTW... I miss your face [mention=66546]NickG013[/mention]

[emoji7] I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other soon enough, my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk