Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help before I go insane...


Recommended Posts

Getting my new 650 set up.  All dies are set, casefeeder and bulletfeeder are ready to go but the damn arm that carries the case from the casefeed adapter to the arm bushing won't reliably feed the cases.  The case insert slide is oriented in the correct direction and adjusted all the way in.  If only it had just a few more millimeters adjustment that's all it would take to get the arm to pivot far enough and drop the next case...

 

Help!    

 

Edit:  Added picture to illustrate

IMG-2389.JPG

Edited by ncrivello
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, randy01 said:

You are missing the cartridge specific bushing in the arm. It centers the case.

 

It appears you're right.  I read all about the body bushing, but see that the arm bushing is discussed under the caliber conversion section.  I don't have that bushing.

 

Guess a call to dillon is in order.  :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RGA said:

Do you have more than 1 conversion kit? Sometimes different caliber kits use the same bushing. Maybe you're lucky.

 

It's a new press with just the 9mm conversion kit.   Was really hoping to do some load testing this weekend. :(

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you check all your little sacks?  I was setting one up for a guy and his bushing was missing, but it was actually just in a sack with some other stuff.  Maybe you will luck out and locate it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RJH said:

Did you check all your little sacks?  I was setting one up for a guy and his bushing was missing, but it was actually just in a sack with some other stuff.  Maybe you will luck out and locate it

 

I double checked and couldn't find it.  It should be green, so kinda hard to miss.  

 

Spoke with Dillon via their chat feature on the website just now.  They're going to send one out.  I'll be eagerly watching for the deliveryman...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, the bushing showed up this afternoon and I got to loading.

 

Next problem I ran into is really high rate of failure when plunking the ammo in my 9mm Barrel.  Have it set up with a Lee full length sizer/deprime, seating 125gr blue bullets to 1.15" OAL and a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die.  Failure rate is 20-25% across 200 rounds (worked up several loads with titegroup).

 

Thoughts on plunk failure?  Need to get a hundo case gauge as using the barrel is tedious.  I can try the Dillon sizing and crimp dies if you guys think it'll make difference.  I did break the depriming pin on the Lee die right at the end of the session, so that station needs to be addressed anyhow. 

 

Edit:  using mixed range brass, and the failures seem to affect all of them. 

 

Edited by ncrivello
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ncrivello said:

Ok, the bushing showed up this afternoon and I got to loading.

 

Next problem I ran into is really high rate of failure when plunking the ammo in my 9mm Barrel.  Have it set up with a Lee full length sizer/deprime, seating 125gr blue bullets to 1.15" OAL and a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die.  Failure rate is 20-25% across 200 rounds (worked up several loads with titegroup).

 

Thoughts on plunk failure?  Need to get a hundo case gauge as using the barrel is tedious.  I can try the Dillon sizing and crimp dies if you guys think it'll make difference.  I did break the depriming pin on the Lee die right at the end of the session, so that station needs to be addressed anyhow. 

 

My first thought is make sure the sizing die is actually just kissing the shell plate. I'm telling you, 1/50th of a turn of the die downwards can make a huge difference. Second make sure crimp is removing ALL OF THE BELL. Third make sure ammo is not too long. again, .001 inch can make or break plunk test.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sarge said:

My first thought is make sure the sizing die is actually just kissing the shell plate. I'm telling you, 1/50th of a turn of the die downwards can make a huge difference. Second make sure crimp is removing ALL OF THE BELL. Third make sure ammo is not too long. again, .001 inch can make or break plunk test.

 

 

Pretty sure it's touching the shell plate.  Need to shine a flashlight in there to really see though. 

 

I'm going to try plunking them in my glock/sig barrels to see if it's a problem unique to the springfield RO barrel, i.e. do I need a shorter OAL etc.    

 

Had a hard time getting a good read on the crimp, but was reading in the .376-.379 range.   

 

Reeaally need a case gauge which help to see if it's a ammo issue or specific barrel issue... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ncrivello said:

 

Reeaally need a case gauge which help to see if it's a ammo issue or specific barrel issue... 

 

If the rounds pass the case gauge, and still don't feed in one of your guns, you still need to

change a setting.

 

You really need to Plunk them in each barrel.

 

Have you fired any of these rounds ?  Are they accurate ?   Feeding in either of your guns ?

(Too much crimp will affect accuracy and too little will affect feeding).    

 

Good luck with it     :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

If the rounds pass the case gauge, and still don't feed in one of your guns, you still need to

change a setting.

 

You really need to Plunk them in each barrel.

 

Have you fired any of these rounds ?  Are they accurate ?   Feeding in either of your guns ?

(Too much crimp will affect accuracy and too little will affect feeding).    

 

Good luck with it     :) 

 

New 650, no loads yet.  These are for my 9mm Springfield RO.  Haven't loaded anything for this gun yet.  

 

That's what I'm planning, get the case gauge to at least figure out if they are within spec, then adjust to the gun from there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, ncrivello said:

 

Pretty sure it's touching the shell plate.  Need to shine a flashlight in there to really see though. JUST LOOK FOR THE TOOL HEAD TO JIGGLE A LITTLE.

 

I'm going to try plunking them in my glock/sig barrels to see if it's a problem unique to the springfield RO barrel, i.e. do I need a shorter OAL etc.    COULD EASILY BE TOO LONG. JUST TURN THE SEATER DOWN A SMIDGE AND RESEAT A FEW LOADED ROUNDS AND SEE IF THEY FIT. 

 

Had a hard time getting a good read on the crimp, but was reading in the .376-.379 range.  THAT'S ABOUT AVERAGE SO PROBABLY OK. 

 

Reeaally need a case gauge which help to see if it's a ammo issue or specific barrel issue... YEAH, YOU NEED A CASE GAUGE. BUT REMEMBER, REGARDLESS OF WHAT A GAUGE SAYS ALWAYS CHECK OAL IN YOUR BARREL 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2019 at 8:04 PM, ncrivello said:

 

Pretty sure it's touching the shell plate.  Need to shine a flashlight in there to really see though. 

If you want to make sure you aren't running into a bulge issue set the press to cam over slightly when resizing a case. When you get a case gage pull a resized case out of station 2 before dropping powder and gage it, that will tell you if you are resizing to spec. 

I'm going to try plunking them in my glock/sig barrels to see if it's a problem unique to the springfield RO barrel, i.e. do I need a shorter OAL etc.    

Every barrel will accept a different COAL depending on bullet profile. To find each barrels exact max COAL take a case and cut two slits in the case mouth with a dremel, barely slide a bullet into the case and push it fully into your chamber. Extract the round without disturbing the bullet depth in the case and mic it. Run this several times to assure your results are consistent. Once you have that number subtract 0.10 in for variation and you have good target for seating depth on that bullet/barrel combination. 

Had a hard time getting a good read on the crimp, but was reading in the .376-.379 range.   

Your crimp results will vary depending on the brass you use. Not all brass is the same thickness at the case mouth. 

Reeaally need a case gauge which help to see if it's a ammo issue or specific barrel issue... 

There is not substitute for a quality case gage. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Color your bullet with a Magic Marker and see if the bullet is seated too far out while doing the "Plunk" testing.  Also check that there is not too much crimp which can bulge the case at about the base of the bullet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...