Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Moonclip?


Pardini
 Share

Recommended Posts

TK's for a 627

Revo Supply .025 Nickle for a 627

Or use Win or Blazer 9mm brass and end the headache 

 

Also check that with the 38 Sht Colt brass you have some room behind the cases to the recoil shield

 

FWIW-  I played with 38SC in my 929, it works fine with a little bit of "double checking" moon clips vs brass etc.

What I didn't like was the Short Colt brass bulge's slightly near the rim in a 929 chamber and when I was loading I would get rounds that 

Were sized off center. BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO FAST and not checking that I pushed the case in all the way and centered it.

Don't have that issue with 9mm brass. So I went back to it and shoot 38SC out of the 627's

 

You didn't ask for any of that info above so do with it as you please

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jcc7x7 said:

Or use Win or Blazer 9mm brass and end the headache 

 

I've never gotten Winchester to work with TK moons. Then again I use their .040" thick ones. The winchester brass always binds up and I find them when I put them in the moon clip checker. Now I just sort them out when I put my ammo in boxes. Federal seems to do OK, but I find a lot of Federals that just fall out of the clips on their own. This is only with .040 Stainless though, you might have better luck with other ones or even a different manufacturer, like Revo Supply .040.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, swordfish said:

I've never gotten Winchester to work with TK moons. Then again I use their .040" thick ones. The winchester brass always binds up and I find them when I put them in the moon clip checker. Now I just sort them out when I put my ammo in boxes. Federal seems to do OK, but I find a lot of Federals that just fall out of the clips on their own. This is only with .040 Stainless though, you might have better luck with other ones or even a different manufacturer, like Revo Supply .040.

Use the Revo supply "extreme " clips with win brass, works good for me.

But you've done a ton more than me in the last year!  Congrads by the way on making GM.

So I'll submit to your thoughts on brass and what works best.

Good Fortune this season, enjoyed ROing you last year at the NE sectional match at GCL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

TK's for a 627

Revo Supply .025 Nickle for a 627

Or use Win or Blazer 9mm brass and end the headache 

 

Also check that with the 38 Sht Colt brass you have some room behind the cases to the recoil shield

 

FWIW-  I played with 38SC in my 929, it works fine with a little bit of "double checking" moon clips vs brass etc.

What I didn't like was the Short Colt brass bulge's slightly near the rim in a 929 chamber and when I was loading I would get rounds that 

Were sized off center. BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO FAST and not checking that I pushed the case in all the way and centered it.

Don't have that issue with 9mm brass. So I went back to it and shoot 38SC out of the 627's

 

You didn't ask for any of that info above so do with it as you please

 

Thanks,

I called TK earlier today. Asked what clip I needed for Starline 38 Short Colt brass in a 929.  Was told that they dont make a clip for that combo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been using TK moonclips for Starline brass and Starline Colt Short brass for years. I had a lot of Starline brass and 100TK moonclips from shooting a 627 8 shot gun. I continue to shoot Colt Short in my 929's and a recent 586 that was converted to 9mm by TK Custom. Never a problem.

My wife bought a used 929 with 50 TK .040 9mm moonclips, so she shoots 9mm in her 929.

What are the pluses and minuses?

1...Starline Colt short accepts a .358" bullet nicer.

2...Starline Colt short brass snaps into the moonclip nicer.

3...The case bulge as mentioned above is noted as occurring, but I simply ignore it and never split a case at the base. 

4...After years of shooting Colt short in my 627, and now 929 for years, I'm starting to get case end splits. I'll start to shoot new brass for this year and use the older brass for practice. It took years to see my first case split.

5...As much as I like shooting Colt short in my 929 and will continue to...…...the .040" 9mm TK moonclip holds up better than the .025" TK moonclip for Starline brass.

6...TK Custom does really nice work and has great products, but will always say to shoot 9mm in a 9mm gun and Colt short in a .357..627 gun. 

7...If I had to help a new shooter with a 929, I think I'd recommend using the .040" TK moonclips and shoot Federal, Blazer type brass. The moonclips hold up better and Federal 9mm brass can be found easily.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pardini said:

 

Thanks,

I called TK earlier today. Asked what clip I needed for Starline 38 Short Colt brass in a 929.  Was told that they dont make a clip for that combo. 

My buddy has a 627 and his moons drop right into my 929.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Use the Revo supply "extreme " clips with win brass, works good for me.

But you've done a ton more than me in the last year!  Congrads by the way on making GM.

So I'll submit to your thoughts on brass and what works best.

Good Fortune this season, enjoyed ROing you last year at the NE sectional match at GCL

Hey thanks. Yeah I haven't tried George's clips yet, but I have so many of TK that I'm not sure it'd be worth it at this point.

I'm just saying winchester and tk 40s don't mix, not that anything is better than anything else, especially since I don't have any experience. I just found a winchester today that kept sticking in my moon clip checker. Apparently it was just enough. Thought I had sorted them all out.

Jagemann brass also works with TK .040 clips, but the neck tension is tight tight, and it's much more expensive than once-fired range pick up brass.

Hope to catch you in New York again this year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Pardini said:

 

Thanks,

I called TK earlier today. Asked what clip I needed for Starline 38 Short Colt brass in a 929.  Was told that they dont make a clip for that combo. 

Just use the clip TK makes for the starline short colt brass. 

 

Honestly it doesn’t matter what you use because shorts don’t head space off the moon like 9s do. Use whatever clip you like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use DAA gear. The .40 DAA moons work great with Blazer.  FC is good, WIN need to be mixed with FC and Blazer.  The worst would be nickel WIN cases.  At one point all I had was Nickle brass cleaned so I used those.  Super tight to get in and very difficult to de moon.  I had to re-shape my TK de-Mooner afterwards.

so I’m thinking they might work well in Tk’s?  I have a few tk’s and they are slightly bigger so rounds fall out easier, such as S&B (very plentiful up here) But then nickel plated I find split easier and get more creep. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The TK SS .025 clip for Starline brass and Starline SC brass combo doesn't work, at least not the current production of both. Can only get 6 rounds in the clip with the BMT Mooner and it takes a great amount of force. Had to clamp the mooner in a vice and use a pipe wrench on it to get those 6 rounds demooned. 

 

The RS .025 clips work fine, the rounds wiggle just slightly, but the clips seem somewhat fragile. I think they will get bent fairly easily in match play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pardini said:

The TK SS .025 clip for Starline brass and Starline SC brass combo doesn't work, at least not the current production of both. Can only get 6 rounds in the clip with the BMT Mooner and it takes a great amount of force. Had to clamp the mooner in a vice and use a pipe wrench on it to get those 6 rounds demooned. 

 

The RS .025 clips work fine, the rounds wiggle just slightly, but the clips seem somewhat fragile. I think they will get bent fairly easily in match play. 

You got the clips for the 627, right? Not the 9mm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, swordfish said:

I've never gotten Winchester to work with TK moons. Then again I use their .040" thick ones. The winchester brass always binds up and I find them when I put them in the moon clip checker. Now I just sort them out when I put my ammo in boxes. Federal seems to do OK, but I find a lot of Federals that just fall out of the clips on their own. This is only with .040 Stainless though, you might have better luck with other ones or even a different manufacturer, like Revo Supply .040.

 

What brass are you using with the 040 TK moons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 1911Prof said:

 

What brass are you using with the 040 TK moons?

95% Blazer. Probably 10 or 15 cases of Federal. I thought Federal didn't fit because some would sneak in and then literally fall out of the clip when it was on my belt, so I assumed all Federal was too small. Turns out only some are, but most are ok, so now I leave them in. Also 200 pieces of Jagemann brass. I know a few guys that are running Federal only in TK .040"

 

There's still probably some Winchester mixed in cause I bought 100 cases to try and it was really tight, and sometimes they work, but a lot of times it'll bind up in the moonclip checker because the extractor groove is too thick and it kinda sticks at an angle. Really the only ones that bind now are split cases and the occasional Winchester I haven't sorted out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 1911Prof said:

 

What brass are you using with the 040 TK moons?

Josh Lentz supposedly uses old Nato cases, and the only NATO cases I've ever seen were made by Winchester, but I dunno if he's running DAA clips (his sponsor/employer) or what.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, swordfish said:

Josh Lentz supposedly uses old Nato cases, and the only NATO cases I've ever seen were made by Winchester, but I dunno if he's running DAA clips (his sponsor/employer) or what.

He told me last fall that the 929 was designed to run .035 moon clips. That's what he was running on our squad. And yes he said he is still using the same NATO brass that he has had since he got his first 929. His SC load was almost identical to mine. Made me kind of happy to see that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...