Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 GLOCK for Production Division


davidb72
 Share

Recommended Posts

Which of the Gen 5 Glocks would you choose for Production division?

I'd like to have front cocking serrations and I'd like to avoid that cutout in the front of the magwell.

Historically I have shot my 17's better than my 34's so there is that to consider as well.

Based on those requirements it seems like the Gen 5, Glock 17 MOS would be my only choice. Does the MOS plate limit me on aftermarket sights?

Is that a correct assumption or is there another model I should be considering?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davidb72 said:

Does the MOS plate limit me on aftermarket sights?

I'd take a look at Dawson's website, if not enough info there.

It would be worth a phone call to them.

Edit:

Just looked at Dawson's site they have a bunch of sights for the gen5 MOS.

Edited by jcc7x7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello: I would get either the G17 or the G34 for production knowing that I would make it a Carry Optics pistol in the future so the MOS model are the ones I would choose. Longer sight radius for Production but shorter slide for Carry Optics. I'd get the G17 MOS Gen 5 with front serrations. NO co-witness sights though. Or you could get two top ends for the lower. Thanks, Eric

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, davidb72 said:

Which of the Gen 5 Glocks would you choose for Production division?

I'd like to have front cocking serrations and I'd like to avoid that cutout in the front of the magwell.

Historically I have shot my 17's better than my 34's so there is that to consider as well.

Based on those requirements it seems like the Gen 5, Glock 17 MOS would be my only choice. Does the MOS plate limit me on aftermarket sights?

Is that a correct assumption or is there another model I should be considering?


Sounds like a Glock 17 Gen5 FS might be best for you.  That said, if you are basing your assumption on older generations, the same might not be true with the Gen5's.  I seem to shoot my Gen5 G34 good, but I was like you with the Gen3's at least.  The 34's didn't really work very well for me, but my G17 worked great.  

 

As far as sights, Dawson has non-adjustable sights that will work with the MOS models just fine.  They also have adjustable sights that will work if you don't mind not being able to remove the plate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, fbzero said:


Sounds like a Glock 17 Gen5 FS might be best for you.  That said, if you are basing your assumption on older generations, the same might not be true with the Gen5's.  I seem to shoot my Gen5 G34 good, but I was like you with the Gen3's at least.  The 34's didn't really work very well for me, but my G17 worked great.  

 

As far as sights, Dawson has non-adjustable sights that will work with the MOS models just fine.  They also have adjustable sights that will work if you don't mind not being able to remove the plate.

 

Echo this; shoot what shoots best for YOU.

 

The 17 handles/transitions a lot better than the 34, for me. I shoot multiple gens of the 17s and 34s (RTF/MOS/3/4/etc.); all the 17's handle better, most likely due to weight distribution. You could cut up the slide all you want, but it'd still be nose-heavy.

 

Side by side, the 34 has softer perceived recoil. However, this doesn't really matter on the clock or on paper. Shoot what shoots best for you.

 

Hope that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

When did they stop doing the cut-out on the Gen5?  Thats the one thing I didn't really care for.

 

Uh.. not sure what you're asking bc you answered your own question... on the gen 5 G34. Some marketing rep claimed they figured out something or the other and they might have even claimed the weight was the same or didnt matter. I didn't put much into what the marketing rep said, because, marketing.

 

That cutout didnt ameliorate any perceived handling deficiencies as compares to the 17, however.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, blueorison said:

 

Uh.. not sure what you're asking bc you answered your own question... on the gen 5 G34. Some marketing rep claimed they figured out something or the other and they might have even claimed the weight was the same or didnt matter. I didn't put much into what the marketing rep said, because, marketing.

 

That cutout didnt ameliorate any perceived handling deficiencies as compares to the 17, however.

 

 

I'm talking about the cut out on the front of the magwell, like the OP was talking about...not the slide.  My Gen5 MOS has the front of the magwell cut out, but just looked and the new Gen5 MOS has none.

Edited by LeviSS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

I'm talking about the cut out on the front of the magwell, like the OP was talking about...not the slide.  My Gen5 MOS has the front of the magwell cut out, but just looked and the new Gen5 MOS has none.

 

My bad, sir!  Misunderstood. Do you use it as a function? I've shot quite a few without/with and it didn't make a difference to my reload. Just wondering!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, blueorison said:

 

My bad, sir!  Misunderstood. Do you use it as a function? I've shot quite a few without/with and it didn't make a difference to my reload. Just wondering!

Every now and then I get hung up on it.  Not a big deal, I'd just like it better without it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Gen 4 34 MOS sight cutout sits further back, something like the Dawson adj sight I have on my Gen 3 34 would hang over and look unsightly.

17 or 34? is what you like the only difference is the extra sight radius and barrel length.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

My Gen 4 34 MOS sight cutout sits further back, something like the Dawson adj sight I have on my Gen 3 34 would hang over and look unsightly.

17 or 34? is what you like the only difference is the extra sight radius and barrel length.

 

With the P10F, looks to have enough depth on the plate to have a dovetail cut for irons. Havent checked on the Glock. Im going to ask Primary Machine to machine a CZ dovetail so I can switch bt adj rear and CO.  Actually... I might just have them cut a Glock rear dovetail for the P10F plate and install Dawson adjs muaahah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, blueorison said:

 

With the P10F, looks to have enough depth on the plate to have a dovetail cut for irons. Havent checked on the Glock. Im going to ask Primary Machine to machine a CZ dovetail so I can switch bt adj rear and CO.  Actually... I might just have them cut a Glock rear dovetail for the P10F plate and install Dawson adjs muaahah

I've thought of that too.  Post what you find.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...