Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Brand of Moonclip Checker?

BiteTheBullet

I have one from TK for the n frame 45.  Works good if you need to check at a match.

I like to load enough moon clips so I don't have to re-moon any of them at a match.

Then I'd rather just use the cylinder to double check moon clips.

I have the revolver supply.  I load all my moon clips at home and check them with the gauge as I'm putting them in my range box.  Sometimes I'll check them again (OCD) at the match before I put them on my belt.  Never had a problem.

Edited by kimmie

Not sure but I think they're all created about equal. I check them once before they go in the box, and then again before they go on my belt. I've been screwed before with a round coming loose or a cracked case slipping by the first inspection. I doesn't take but a second to check it again. Also if you don't have enough moons to get through the match, you don't have to worry about getting a DQ if you try to use your cylinder.

21 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you guys checking?

Making sure that the ammo enters the cylinder without binding.  If it binds or offers resistance, then the moonclip is more than likely bent.

35 minutes ago, RePete said:

Making sure that the ammo enters the cylinder without binding.  If it binds or offers resistance, then the moonclip is more than likely bent.

Only had a bent one once. I reload my brass a lot (shoot moons makes it super easy to keep and reuse brass) so usually I find a cracked case or an off-brand case in the mix, like Winchester, that doesn't spin freely in the spot. I'm on maybe the 6th loading so most of the bad headstamp brass has been kicked out, so now it's just finding the occasional cracked case. Also sometimes rounds can come loose during travel or whatnot, and then they won't load easily, so I check them once more before as I put them on my belt to shoot a stage.