Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 9mm open?

Eman

I am thinking about turning my Glock 35 into an open 9mm gun. My rationale is that the Glock 35 9mm conversion barrel is going to be stronger/thicker than a 34 Barrel? Also, I don’t have a g17 on hand and I’m trying to work with what I got and stay with 9mm. I am not trying to be fiercely competitive but I am wondering if this will compete well enough to make the problem me and not the gun. My question is, has someone already done a g35 conversion? Is this ever legal to do in open division? And will this be competitive with most open style guns? Any tips will be most appreciated! 9mm major still scares me a little, but with the published data on here and my chrono, I think it won’t be that bad. 

Lots of stuff to break down here. 

1. It's not the thickness of the barrel you have to worry about with 9major, it's chamber support for the brass. Pretty much all aftermarket Glock barrels will have decent enough chamber support to run 9major. I ran a Lone Wolf barrel that Kneelingatlas throated for me to accommodate longer loads. 

2. Open Glocks can be okay and locally competitive, but they're always going to be a compromise vs a 2011. I get the hesitation to spend the money on a 2011, but I would recommend thinking of the Glock as simply a way to get your feet wet in Open without having to drop a bunch of money first. 

3. I'm sure someone has. 9mm conversion barrels have been around for a while, and I personally have several thousand minor loads through my G22 conversion barrel without trouble.

4. Yep, it's totally legal. 

5. 9major isn't terrible to load, you just have to pick a good powder and work up a load using caution.

Have you thought about just making it into a .40 open gun? Plenty of people have done so with decent results. 

Agree with what's been said will add i tried to get a 34 to work but never got it to run reliably

th longer barrel had some thing to do with it.     40major would be a option you might pursue

you could start with +3 pads on the 22 round mags . so 25 vs 29 in the mag. fyi i ended up 

with a sps vista short(2011) 

I did a 35 open gun but stuck with .40. It shot alright. 

I’d probably just mount a dot and shoot .40 minor in CO, or stick with .40 major if you wanted to do the open gun. I don’t think 9 major is ever a great idea in a Glock. 

Thanks everyone for the replies so far! You all have me thinking about doing a .40  open gun now. Will it run without a ton of fine tuning?

Does the 40 caliber g35 Barrel length produce enough gas to make the comp really effective? 

Hello: I would run it without a comp and just put a dot on your Glock 35. That way you will not have alot of money into it and if you use a red dot that you can use on an open pistol you can just transfer it over. Another option for you would be to build a 9mm Carry Optics top end for your Glock 35 lower. Change out the ejector to a 9mm and you should be good. If you end up not liking shooting a dot you can then sell the whole top end. Thanks, Eric

25 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

I’ve run my Gen 3 G35 with Dueck Defense dovetail mounted DPP with Glockstore threaded barrel, comp, tungsten guide rod, factory springs and magwell. Left everything else stock and it always ran well. 

Can you give me your load development with that comp setup?

I haven’t jumped into the crazy side (open) yettttt BUT if I was today, I would do it similarly. I wouldn’t drop thousands to find out I don’t like it. You can find several of those mistakes in the classifieds typically. I think Glock’s in general are good enough to make 98% of people the problem when it comes to shooting lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Eman said:

Load developement? Sorry but I don’t reload. Factory ammo or local range reloads all worked.

Used American Eagle 180gr, Federal White Box 180gr (probably same thing, different package), Magtech 180, CCI Blazer Brass 180

On 2/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, Eman said:

In two Open 40’s I’ve had, 8 grains of Longshot or WAC and a 140 coated lead worked well. 

13 minutes ago, HCH said:

In two Open 40’s I’ve had, 8 grains of Longshot or WAC and a 140 coated lead worked well. 

I have some 165’s and some ramshot silhouette. Will that combination work? 

16 minutes ago, Eman said:

I have some 165’s and some ramshot silhouette. Will that combination work? 

It looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 grains should make PF.

Typically you want to load a slow burning powder to make more gas to work the comp. 

Go for it.

People shoot Open Glock guns all the time. They are not the typical 2011 Open Guns, but they work. Parts are very easy to find. If you are familiar with them, that's a good start. If you can't afford $5200 for  a newly built Open Gun, then Glocks are cheaper to make into Open Guns.

When I first started in USPSA in 2016 I got a G17 frame and G22 Slide. Used a dovetail optic mount. FF3, KKM 9mm Barrel, mag. base plates, holster, belt and mag holders and shot in Carry Optics Div. Didn't cost a whole lot.

Then I turned that into a  Glock 357 Sig Major Open Gun. KKM conversion barrel, Carver mount, Carver Comp, springs, magwell and Zev trigger. Worked great, never a problem or hitch. It ran flawlessly. Just go for it, if you know Glocks you'll do fine.

14 hours ago, Lastcat said:

Go for it.

People shoot Open Glock guns all the time. They are not the typical 2011 Open Guns, but they work. Parts are very easy to find. If you are familiar with them, that's a good start. If you can't afford $5200 for  a newly built Open Gun, then Glocks are cheaper to make into Open Guns.

When I first started in USPSA in 2016 I got a G17 frame and G22 Slide. Used a dovetail optic mount. FF3, KKM 9mm Barrel, mag. base plates, holster, belt and mag holders and shot in Carry Optics Div. Didn't cost a whole lot.

Then I turned that into a  Glock 357 Sig Major Open Gun. KKM conversion barrel, Carver mount, Carver Comp, springs, magwell and Zev trigger. Worked great, never a problem or hitch. It ran flawlessly. Just go for it, if you know Glocks you'll do fine.

Was that the .357 barrel?

There used to be a "powerfactorshow" on here and I guess they still have their YouTube channel up and running.  Anyway if you can find it, I believe it was Larry, he used to shoot a 40 Open Glock.  There may be some info there for you.

Also, I believe the 40 OPEN thread here on BENOS could be alot of help to you.

10 hours ago, Butterpuc said:

There used to be a "powerfactorshow" on here and I guess they still have their YouTube channel up and running.  Anyway if you can find it, I believe it was Larry, he used to shoot a 40 Open Glock.  There may be some info there for you.

Also, I believe the 40 OPEN thread here on BENOS could be alot of help to you.

Definitely look at the .40 open thread if you decide to go that route. 

Do not hesitate to run a Glock in Open. I couldnt be happier with my decision as I was looking at 2011 and cz as a possible open gun. I went with an open glock 17 using all Carver Custom parts, cmore and angle mount, 4 port comp---tried the sjc, Carver beat it by quite a bit in my opinion and the Carver wont crack, glock parts are cheap and and plentiful and if you like to shoot glocks already and dont have issues with that, you will enjoy it for sure. About a grand worth of parts gets you there with 1 +12 extension. Also mags and extensions have been absolutely reliable. I load all the way out to 1.1615 with Hs6 (usually 1.1550 but wanted to test it) @7.7 grains gives around 171 power factor. Have loaded silhouette as well at 7 gr. Same 171 power factor. Hs6 wins over the 2 but dont mind the silhouette for I may have to use it someday.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:05 AM, HCH said:

Definitely look at the .40 open thread if you decide to go that route. 

This may be a dumb question but where is the 40open thread? Is it a sub forum or just a thread I can search for? 

1 hour ago, Eman said:

This may be a dumb question but where is the 40open thread? Is it a sub forum or just a thread I can search for? 

Its in the “open pistols” section. You may have to search/google it. It’s about 20 pages long. 

3 hours ago, Eman said:

Thanks for asking this “dumb” question, so I didn’t have to!! Was just about to ask myself when I saw your post.