Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ ACCU SHADOW VS. WALTHER Q5 SF

microham

I'm  looking into purchasing a new IDPA match gun. There are two guns I'm considering either the CZ accu shadow or the new Walther Q5 SF Pro. Not knowing the CZ product but having owned a Q5 I can't make an informed decision  about either gun.

Any input would be helpful in my decision to purchase either.

Thanks

A CZ will get be able to get a much better trigger since it's a hammer and sear based gun.  You'll be able to get custom grips as well.  It will also make you have to fire your first shot double action.

That being said.  I doubt you can go wrong with the Walther.  

If you are someone who prefers a striker fired gun and the simplicity of the same trigger pull no matter what, the Q5 SF is very nice.

If you've shot a 1911 and enjoy a nice trigger, the single action on a CZ is about as close as you'll get to that. Just have to live with a DA first pull as noted.

I shot both guns this morning (with red dots, the CO versions).

The Q5 SF had nice heft but felt lighter than my CZ (I'm also running brass grips). It did feel like more weight in the barrel / dustcover vs my CZ which wears it more in the grip.

I think you could be happy with either, but the grip feel was different enough both guns that is probably worth finding folks locally that have, and trying it out to see which grip you prefer.

Isn't the accu shadow legal only in ESP? In that idpa division he can start hammer back, safety on. So no da pull to ever deal with.

There is more known about the cz and it run than the sf. I would choose the cz based on a larger aftermarket and more tuning knowledge. Walther doesn't even have their own sub forum here....

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I would choose the cz based on a larger aftermarket and more tuning knowledge. Walther doesn't even have their own sub forum here....

I would take this advice seriously. I have a couple Walther P99s that I use occasionally for IDPA in the ccp division. I called Walther for a replacement striker assembly and they didn't even have any in the country. It took two months to get the part. Luckily I had dealt with this in the off season but if it was in the middle of the shooting season it would have been a different story 

18 hours ago, microham said:

I'm  looking into purchasing a new IDPA match gun. There are two guns I'm considering either the CZ accu shadow or the new Walther Q5 SF Pro. Not knowing the CZ product but having owned a Q5 I can't make an informed decision  about either gun.

Any input would be helpful in my decision to purchase either.

Thanks

We need to know what division in which you want to compete. Rowdyd I think hit the nail on the head.  I am a CZ shooter but have shot Glock 34s and S&W M&P 9 Pro in competition. USPSA Production. That said I started with a CZ SP01. Won a the S&W. Hadn’t gotten thru the first mag on during a practice session with the S&W before thinking, “Oh, crap!  Now I have a decision to make.”  (Well, a close paraphrase.). Good trigger, pointed and handled well. The short story was I had spares and a complete rig for the CZ. Would have had the expense of getting the same for the Smith so sold it. The answer to your question may be you can’t go wrong with either. However the CZ has been on the market for some time. More experience in the shooting community with and more parts.  Walter might get there but it may well be a long, hard row to hoe. 

If you're going to shoot a good handful of matches that qualify and you have a reasonable expectation of beating 40 other people in your division to win it all, then the Walther contingency money could sway you.

But to me, the da trigger pull is a non issue due to how you can start in ESP. So the nod goes to the CZ there, even against the Apex triggers I've felt in Q5 guns. Weight? The CZ is a little heavier and it is all in the dust cover. So to me, nod again for the CZ. Personal preference will all be down to do you want to manipulate and external safety off the draw? How do the guns fit in your hand, knowing one has many aftermarket grip choices and one has none?

The Q5 trigger is very good out of the box, and with a little work it can be killer!  I dry fired one last weekend that had been tweaked. It was the by far the best striker fired trigger I've ever felt. While it's a tad different than a single action, it was just as good IMO. 

The Q5 is extremely accurate! I would put it up against any gun! 

I love CZ's. I've had several. Including an accushadow. They're great! 

You can't go wrong with either!  I'd say, if you have smaller hands the Accushadow might be the way to go. If you have larger hands the Q5SF would be my choice.  Both have shorter grips but the Q5SF had a larger circumference.

Q5 is going to be easier to take apart, swap parts. Though, the CZ isn't ddifficul. The only downside to the Walther, IMO, is the magwell and the sights. They really missed the a chance to make that gun perfect! I'd swap sights and bevel the magwell a little more. 

If you ever want to do CO, the Q5 is ready to go. 

Edited by B_RAD

5 hours ago, B_RAD said:

The Q5 trigger is very good out of the box, and with a little work it can be killer!  I dry fired one last weekend that had been tweaked. It was the by far the best striker fired trigger I've ever felt. While it's a tad different than a single action, it was just as good IMO. 

The Q5 is extremely accurate! I would put it up against any gun! 

I love CZ's. I've had several. Including an accushadow. They're great! 

You can't go wrong with either!  I'd say, if you have smaller hands the Accushadow might be the way to go. If you have larger hands the Q5SF would be my choice.  Both have shorter grips but the Q5SF had a larger circumference.

Q5 is going to be easier to take apart, swap parts. Though, the CZ isn't ddifficul. The only downside to the Walther, IMO, is the magwell and the sights. They really missed the a chance to make that gun perfect! I'd swap sights and bevel the magwell a little more. 

If you ever want to do CO, the Q5 is ready to go. 

B-RAD you're changing guns just as fast as me 🙂 Love my Shadows but expecting a Q5 SF coming in 🙂 FS indeed bit big compared to S2... 

5 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

B-RAD you're changing guns just as fast as me 🙂 Love my Shadows but expecting a Q5 SF coming in 🙂 FS indeed bit big compared to S2... 

2 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

No one changes guns and divisions as fast as @B_RAD does.

I'm not changing.  But yes I do change often. I think I'm set for this year in open.   

3 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I think I'm set for this year

I'd bet you an Open gun you can not shoot the same gun all year. Practice, every match. If you're pulling a trigger it is on one gun only. hahahaha

2 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I'd bet you an Open gun you can not shoot the same gun all year. Practice, every match. If you're pulling a trigger it is on one gun only. hahahaha

Nope. My new gun will be here in a few weeks. 

I'm still shooting open. Just a different gun. 

16 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Shot the Q5 SF today. It's awesome!  

Hard to beat a CZ though!  

I'd probably choose CZ! 

Can you tell a bit more? Trigger standard? Was it ok? What is eventually better on A S2? TNX!

36 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Can you tell a bit more? Trigger standard? Was it ok? What is eventually better on A S2? TNX!

This one had a great trigger.  Though, the triggers are different. I can't really give the edge to one or the other. They're different. Which would I rather have? CZ. But that's not enough for me to declare the CZ a better gun. 

The grip on the Q5 is a little different. The magwell isn't as beveled as it could be.  Which grip would I rather have? CZ

In my mind, there's no perfect gun. I believe its the shooter, not the gun.  Though we gotta pick one, right?  

I had to choose one for production, it'd be the Shadow. If I was choosing one for Carry Optics, I'd choose the Walther. The extra money/time spent to get the CZ running isn't worth it, IMO. 

If the DA/SA is a problem, the Q5 is the choice. 

Edited by B_RAD

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

This one had a great trigger.  Though, the triggers are different. I can't really give the edge to one or the other. They're different. Which would I rather have? CZ. But that's not enough for me to declare the CZ a better gun. 

The grip on the Q5 is a little different. The magwell isn't as beveled as it could be.  Which grip would I rather have? CZ

In my mind, there's no perfect gun. I believe its the shooter, not the gun.  Though we gotta pick one, right?  

🙂 Tnx mate. Q5 SF comes in with 2 Months in Europe... Pfff US has European gun earlier 🙂 Stick to my Shadows I guess just very curious..

1 minute ago, Fasthenk65 said:

🙂 Tnx mate. Q5 SF comes in with 2 Months in Europe... Pfff US has European gun earlier 🙂 Stick to my Shadows I guess just very curious..

I wouldn't switch to either gun, if I was already set up shooting one of them. 

Well,... I might.... But I'm stupid like that!