Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training Arm Muscles for Extended Pistol

matir

I don't know the best way to describe this, but my arms tire quickly when holding my pistol extended in isosceles stance.  Obviously I need to build muscles and stamina, but I'm not sure what muscles are most important here.  I suppose it's the trapezius and rhomboid muscles, but maybe also the deltoids and biceps?  What exercises are good for stamina in this form?

Anything full body as well as arms should work. Olympic lifts help grip, forearms and shoulders. Pull-ups work your biceps and back. Just be sure when deadlifting, cleaning or anything like that you're using proper form. Start at a lower weight and build from there. Endurance wise lower weight higher reps will help. 

I’ve found a basic barbell program to be wonders, but as Tony mentioned, form is critical.  It is also important on machines, but machines do the stabilization work for you and are rarely compound exercises, meaning your overal strength doesn’t increase as fast as with free weights.  Barbell weights can also be increased in extremely small increments (most gyms have 2.5 pound plates, you can also buy micro plates), while dumbells increase by 10 pounds typically after 20lb (5 lb per hand = 10).

Watch some videos by Mark Ripptoe (great series on here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM ) and check out the 5x5 Stronglift app for your phone.  It has built in rest timers, tracks your stuff, and will determine if you’ve hit a platoue and how to break through it.  The paid version is cheap and has some other really nice features with an overall simple interface.  They do have videos of form as well.

Expect to hit the gym 3 days a week, taking 1 day rest between days 1/2 lifting, and 2 days after the 3rd day.  It’s extremely simple and effective.  This is coming from a guy who runs chainsaws and tosses logs for a large part of his work day.

Edited by michael.flitcraft

I would think it is more shoulders than arms...go on YouTube and you can find any workout on there.  I have started trying to get in better shape for this upcoming season and i do regular workouts and always train shoulders and forearms every other day.  

Overhead press, bench press, pullups, chinups, dips, etc.

Although a comprehensive program like Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is going to be better for you than trying to isolate a few upper body parts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

On 1/27/2019 at 10:09 AM, michael.flitcraft said:

I’ve found a basic barbell program to be wonders, but as Tony mentioned, form is critical.  It is also important on machines, but machines do the stabilization work for you and are rarely compound exercises, meaning your overal strength doesn’t increase as fast as with free weights.  Barbell weights can also be increased in extremely small increments (most gyms have 2.5 pound plates, you can also buy micro plates), while dumbells increase by 10 pounds typically after 20lb (5 lb per hand = 10).

Watch some videos by Mark Ripptoe (great series on here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM ) and check out the 5x5 Stronglift app for your phone.  It has built in rest timers, tracks your stuff, and will determine if you’ve hit a platoue and how to break through it.  The paid version is cheap and has some other really nice features with an overall simple interface.  They do have videos of form as well.

Expect to hit the gym 3 days a week, taking 1 day rest between days 1/2 lifting, and 2 days after the 3rd day.  It’s extremely simple and effective.  This is coming from a guy who runs chainsaws and tosses logs for a large part of his work day.

nice advice

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s become profoundly apparent that in order to build strength in one area, you must be equally as strong in the opposite motion. It’s very difficult to build strength in your biceps without equally challenging the triceps. Likewise, chest and back. There is strength in balance.

Edited by Red_Dot

I have recently started working on my arm muscles as well because I noticed that as I have gotten older it is hard for me to hold my pistol steady for any duration at all. I have been using 15 pound dumbells daily working the different muscle groups and after only a couple of weeks I have noticed a huge difference in my grip and my abilitly to keep the weapon stead on target.

• 2 weeks later...