Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17L inquiry

I absolutely love my G34 Gen 5 and my 17, but I mainly use my G34 for production and carry optics.  The 17 is a back up just in case the G34 malfunctions, but that hasn't happened yet.  I've been eyeing for quite some time a G17L, not sure why but I'm seriously intrigued by this beast of a handgun.  Curious, and excuse my ignorance but can the G17L be used in the Carry optics division?  I've heard, limited and open for sure but what do I know? Also, it seems to me that for some reason the G17L carries more muzzle flip than the G34 and or the 17, not sure if its because of the super lightweight front end or what.   I've been doing lots of research on the G17L, it's definitely not a need but a want, but if I do get one I want to maximize it's potential.  Plus, they call it Glock's "holy grail" lol.  Thanks guys~  

17L is not on Production list therefore it can't be used in CO.

APP D7   Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list.

1 hour ago, dapribek said:

Ok, wasn’t quite sure if you wanted a back up for your 34 and 17. That being said, a buddy shoots a 17L in our action pistol league and lives it! Shoots it better than his twice as expensive Sig! 

Thanks for the heads up~  The G17L  seems like a mini rifle pistol with that extra long slide~  

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

17L is not on Production list therefore it can't be used in CO.

APP D7   Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list.

It could be used in Open and Limited, no?  Thanks for the assistance~ 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:34 PM, Cuz said:

If you plan to put an optic on it, you are defeating the benefit of the long slide. Normally you want it for the extra sight radius.

This.

No reason to run a 5” gun in carry optics unless you already have it: G17 works over a G34 even. So the two inches(G17 vs 17L) is just more length you’d have to swing around even if it were legal.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 months later...

USPSA Gun Check Box

This box is made for checking pistols for compliance with USPSA Single Stack and Production Division rules.

"Handgun with empty magazines inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”, -0”) (USPSA Rules, Feb 2014)

I see some 17L's in 3 gun and some 6" 2011's too.  TTI has a 17L variant.  I had a 24 that I shot limited with in IPSA.  There are a lot of Glock 34's in 3 gun.

If they come out with a Gen5 17L I may get one for 3 gun because I am definitely on the Gen 5 bandwagon.  I worry the 17L could be a little nose heavy.  I shot one years ago and it shot well is all I recall.

You should get one and see if you like the 17L.  If Not you can sell it.

Not sure what cycles slower a G17L running 147s  or a S&W M52 

18 hours ago, Jman said:

The G17L has never made an impact in Action Pistol games, no matter the discipline. It's a long sighted slow fire target gun IMO...

13 hours ago, mmlook said:

"get a 24 for Limited Major."

I got to watch Bob Vogel win Limited Division at Area 5 with a Glock 24 in 2012 (was on the same squad as he was)

Edited by eric4069