Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bi-pod

blaese490

I'm a very novice PRS shooter (2 or 3 club matches) so take this for what it is worth...

At a minimum, the bipod should be removable, should swivel and lock, and the legs should be extendable.

The Harris can do all that if you get the right one and add some aftermarket parts. The atlas has more adjustments, has interchangeable feet. I guess the bottom line is that there isn't actually a $200 difference as you have to upgrade the Harris a bit right out of the gate.

the new Magpul though is cheaper than both and has features to match the atlas. That's the one I'd be looking at. 

The Harris has it's place, mostly with bench or simple flat prone shooting. But where the Atlas and others with more features shine is with odd positions and the like. For PRS shooting, I would consider the Atlas a minimum requirement. You also have to consider durability, both are very durable. A Caldwell and the like ($50range) are a waste of money and time as they won't likely last long...

Edited by RiggerJJ

5 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

I'm a very novice PRS shooter (2 or 3 club matches) so take this for what it is worth...

At a minimum, the bipod should be removable, should swivel and lock, and the legs should be extendable.

The Harris can do all that if you get the right one and add some aftermarket parts. The atlas has more adjustments, has interchangeable feet. I guess the bottom line is that there isn't actually a $200 difference as you have to upgrade the Harris a bit right out of the gate.

the new Magpul though is cheaper than both and has features to match the atlas. That's the one I'd be looking at. 

Want aware Magpul had a bipod out. I'll have to look into that! Thank you. 

7 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

Not quite. I have one and its a step up from a Harris but its no Atlas. The Atlas cant locks up tighter, legs lock at 45 degrees, more height adjustment range, it's sturdier and heavier (which I prefer).

For my needs and application in 3 gun Harris is as much as I'll ever need. If I take up PRS I might change my mind. Think I'll get divorced if I get one more expensive hobby. 

6 hours ago, blaese490 said:

@Adamj I'm primarily a 3 Gunner as well. I'm gonna try Harris first

For what it's worth I like the S-LM 9-13 model. I also have one of their 13.5-27 models on a quick disconnect. 

I do a lot of long range precision shooting. I have used a lot of different bipods. My current favorite is the new magpul bipod. It has just enough play so you can be sure the bipod is preloaded, like the old Atlas used too. I find Harris bipods are difficult to load in certain conditions and it’s harder to shoot constantly with one. The magpul makes sand and soft dirt easy, especially with spike feat installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good luck with GG&G. They make some nice bipods that fall in between the Harris and Atlas price wise, but are closer to Atlas features. I've had one that I've used on anything from an AR to a Savage in 338 rum, and it's been great. No regrets with the purchase. I will say though, my experience is based on PRS and not 3 gun.