Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visual acuity and focus, training recommendations.....

vgdvc

Hello seasoned Open shooters. Continuing on my venture from Limited to Open division my checklist is at....

✓Brazos .38 Super Open SC pistol

✓(2) top loads(after reasonable       experimentation) to work with

✓ Reliable magazines and support gear

✓ A desire to run fast and strong with legit "hand cannon"

I would really like to start training/dry firing with some solid techniques proven successful for Open.  I feel I am still "aiming with the dot". Any recomendations on visual acuity or focus for maximizing the benefits of using a dot sight versus irons is appreciated. Training methods and tips are certainly welcomed as well.

It would be a great contribution if guru Brian E. would share his unique way if articulating advice on this matter. (Hint,Hint)

Thanks to all who contribute in advance.

Dryfire until the dot is a confirmation on the target that is only there a fraction of a second before your eyes snap to next target, rather than allowing yourself to focus on the dot and follow it from target to target.

That alone will bump your level of open shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tape over the dot.

Both eyes open you'll see the dot on the target if you're focusing on the target.

If your focusing on the dot you'll see the tape with the dot on it.

Run drills with the dot off for a few sequences, then with the dot on for a few!

You'll come to the "ah ha" moment at some point during the above and target focus will make sense and you'll notice when you're Not doing it!

On 1/3/2019 at 8:13 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Run drills with the dot off for a few sequences, then with the dot on for a few!

I understand the tape part, what significance is there to running drills with the dot turned off?

On 1/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Tape over the dot.

Both eyes open you'll see the dot on the target if you're focusing on the target.

If your focusing on the dot you'll see the tape with the dot on it.

You'll come to the "ah ha" moment at some point during the above and target focus will make sense and you'll notice when you're Not doing it!

I didn't want to ask but since another contributor is, could you please elaborate on the " drills with dot off" and what "ah ha" moment should I realize?Thanks

Easy to tell when you're looking at the dot vs. the target.

When you switch back and forth a few times it becomes very evident 

When I do these drills it's with the dot on and off it was at 6-7 yds BUT I'm not trying to blaze it down; just learn to see what I need to!

"where have we all heard that before!

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Easy to tell when you're looking at the dot vs. the target.

When you switch back and forth a few times it becomes very evident 

When I do these drills it's with the dot on and off it was at 6-7 yds BUT I'm not trying to blaze it down; just learn to see what I need to!

"where have we all heard that before!

Yes, observe and "see what you need to see". Good reminder of timeless advice. Thanks

I just made the switch to open in 3 gun competition and have mastered moving letting the dot come to the target with my shotgun. I am doing drills with my pistol and practicing with the dot off seems to help. I had a battery go out on my pistol during a stage a few weeks ago and was still hitting steel at 15 yds looking thru the glass. I don't recommend this but I realized then that I could move the gun not the dot.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Tape the front and you have to shoot with both eyes open!

It will help you with target focus instead of focusing on the dot since you can't see the target through the optic!

It's not easy.  I'm seeing two targets, and really have to start close up and focus for that to stop.  I've got work to do, but this is an excellent exercise!

On 1/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, vgdvc said:

Hello seasoned Open shooters. Continuing on my venture from Limited to Open division my checklist is at....

✓Brazos .38 Super Open SC pistol

✓(2) top loads(after reasonable       experimentation) to work with

✓ Reliable magazines and support gear

✓ A desire to run fast and strong with legit "hand cannon"

I would really like to start training/dry firing with some solid techniques proven successful for Open.  I feel I am still "aiming with the dot". Any recomendations on visual acuity or focus for maximizing the benefits of using a dot sight versus irons is appreciated. Training methods and tips are certainly welcomed as well.

It would be a great contribution if guru Brian E. would share his unique way if articulating advice on this matter. (Hint,Hint)

Thanks to all who contribute in advance.

See my opening suggestion (post #2), as well as what others are doing.  The thread was for Steel Challenge, but the same applies to USPSA with regards to developing visual acuity and focus

4 hours ago, VikingGirl929 said:

It's not easy.  I'm seeing two targets, and really have to start close up and focus for that to stop.  I've got work to do, but this is an excellent exercise!

That (seeing two targets) is a tell tale sign to you that you're looking at the dot/optic instead of the target.

Edited by jcc7x7

• 1 month later...

Covering the front lens while dry firing has definitely helped and maintaining a target Focus with the dot. I will then do some dry firing uncovered. On the first one or two draws I realize that I am reverting back to aiming the dot until  quickly realized  and focus is brought back to target with dot superimposed on target. My question is has anyone experimented with live fire with the dot covered to ensure a true target focus is always maintained?