Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow w/124 bullet. Recipe?

Boudreaux78

I had to load 124 Zeros Jacketed (actually 125gr) at 1.100 to gauge correctly and consistently.  They would plunk longer, but not pass gauge.  Yeah I know, plunk test is more important, but I run everything through a Hondo and spot check with an EGW. 

Boudreaux, 124gr bullets might get loaded anywhere from 1.020 to 1.169, depending on gun, bullet profilr, diameter, and bullet model and manufacturer. 

You NEVER choose OAL by bullet weight. 

You should consider doing some research on determining OAL so that you know what factors play a role. 

There are hundreds of threads every year on that subject, and all will be more informative than load parameters.  ;)

On 1/2/2019 at 2:38 PM, Boudreaux78 said:

Looking for a recipe for my son’s shadows. I have plenty of 124 jacketed bullets and need to know where to start. OAL? Using N320 in my gun and would prefer to keep using the same powder.

It seems to me this kind of request has been covered many times over. I suggest you start with a search of BEF and see what’s been done in the past. In the end it’s a three step process;

1. Determine OAL using actual gun barrel, brass and bullet intended. 

2. Build multiple loads with different powder levels,  chrono them for PF and adequate/desired accuracy. 

3. Go to town loading. 

Of of course the discussion always includes crimp techniques and die brands. 

I have bullet brands which will load at 1.08 and others 1.14 in a Shadow 2 stock (un-reamed) barrel. 

You need to experiment and find what works. Enjoy the path. 

Edited by HesedTech

Thank all of you for the info. I researched this thread for a while and read lots of different discussions. Didn’t quite get the answers I wanted till I posted this. Just needed a little help getting started. The range is a long drive and can’t make it there very often for testing. With a starting place, I can load a few different and it saves multiple trips.

thanks again!!!!

I will also be starting to load 125 jacketed for the cz.  Switching from blue bullets and switching powders as well.  

I will echo this as well, don't just load something how someone tells you, go through the steps outlined above and you will be good.  

Make sure you have a chronograph as well, it is crucial to understanding what you are doing.

For my Shadow 2, I load 124 Gr JHP from PD using 4.1-4.2 Gr win 231 @ 1.125-1.128 OAL. I also use the same load for my MPX, TSO and CM.

Ave velocity on Shadow 2 -  1027 - 1037 FPS @ 127.34 - 128.58 PF

MPX -  1065 - 1087 FPS @ 132.- 134.78 PF 

Edit - MPX has an 8” barrel

Edited by George16

• 1 month later...

Ive used much the same load with N320 4.1g and 125g at around 1.12 COL. Sport Pistol also works just as well and is cheaper.... but most places are sold out at present. Both clean and smokeless. I prefer jacket/plated over coated. Seems like less smoke.

• 3 weeks later...