Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge with MBX mags

johnsonian85

I tired my STI Edge .40 with a friends MBX mag and it wouldn't feed, bullets nose diving into the feedramp.  Anyone else had this issue/have a potential solution?  I was thinking about trying the Dawson Mag Release with the positive lock to see if that will help. 

Normally the mags I use are STI tubes, TTI basepads, grams spring/follower.

MBX have worked great in my CK 9mm and would like to be able get them for the .40.  

j, there are a couple of things you can check.  First, if the mag springs are new and haven't been conditioned, the bullets will nose dive for the first or second.  Try only loading 10 and see what happens.  Second, feed lips out of adjustment can do that.  Even if it works in your buddy's gun, it may not be right in yours.  Third:  your mag catch shelf may be too low for MBX.  It the mag sits too- low- nose dives.  I run an Edge (older) with the Dawson mag release and I've had zero problems with MBX mags over the last two years.

I havent had your experience of a nose dive but I made it a ritual (at least someone told me), to load the mag full and let it sit for a few days for the spring to "normalize" and then start use. My MBX mags work well on my STI Edge and DVC.

At first I had problems seating it on the Edge for some weird reason it just wont catch on the magazine catch - but it sort of sorted itself out after persistently trying several times.

Since they we're your friends mags, I'm thinking they worked in his gun, so break in shouldn't be the issue.

Was it his ammo or your regular ammo that you tried?  IF his maybe that was the issue.

I'm not an MBX fanboy but general thought is they work (usually, mine didn't in a Tanfo so won't use them in my 2011's )

It was the same load as I normally use.  I got a Dawson mag catch in there now (switched the grip) so I'll test that out and see what happens.

His mags are over a year old and work perfect in his gun, I'll see about measuring the feed lip but might just have to buy a new mag and test it out in my gun.  I'm not messing with his mags since they work great for him.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I had similar issues with a pair of mbx mags, the likely culprit was the height of the mag catch on the mbx mags. looking at them compared to the STI tube that I have it is cut visibly higher and the mags sit lower in the gun. Got a Dawson mag release in it now and so far it’s been good but I still only use them as backup mags. 

I only run the Dawson mag catch/release in all my 2011 and have had zero issues with any of my guns with my MBX mags. Most of my guns are full custom but my Edge and Marauder also work flawlessly with this set up 

3 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

What is in spec? I hear that a lot but haven’t found any numbers to go off of. 

For a 40 mag I believe they are .385-.390. Tapering from a bit more narrow in the back, to open in the front so the round points up. So you’d try and set them at .385 in the back and .390 in the front. 

5 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

For a 40 mag I believe they are .385-.390. Tapering from a bit more narrow in the back, to open in the front so the round points up. So you’d try and set them at .385 in the back and .390 in the front. 

There are a few vids on you tube showing where what the measurements are from front to back.  Adam has a good one.  I believe there is a link to it on his website at Atlas Guns as well. 

Well I switched out my grip for a PT Evo I had with a dawson mag release.  That fixed the MBX mag issue.

Overdid it a little on playing with the trigger pretravel and it wouldn't shoot with the STI mags (would with MBX).  Corrected that and now it seems to work on the bench, will need to test on the range.

Testing the mags is a good idea, The STI tubes are all wider (front to back) than all the MBX mags I have (9mm).  I'll look at some of the Atlas videos and see what they should be.

Thanks for all the info!

• 2 weeks later...

If the mags are well used and dropped multiple times the feedlips may need retuned. The mag release could indeed be an issue in your case, but I have yet to have an issue between mbx and sti mags, although all my guns have the dp mag release. Could be sitting a few thou higher than sti mag releases allow. I’d check the body to be drop free then make sure the feed lips are set right. I like .380 in the rear and .390 in the front for.40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to tune several of my mags. In one of my PT Evo grip guns with DP release I too have had issues with STI mags but never with MBX. The cut out in the STI mags is not in the same place as MBX if I recall correctly.