Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting ready to be a proud parent of a new 1050 this week

New 1050 on its way with a new mbf. Since this is my first 1050 from loading on 650’s for 10 years or so what dies are you 40 cal guys running and what’s in each station for best results. Was gonna run the dillons since they already come in press. In my 650 I was running dillon resize decap, mbf funnel, Lee bullet seater and crimp. Was thinking going back with this setup for dies but what are y’all running. I know preferences will be in the comments just trying to see what will work for the best results on the 1050 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Have you named the little guy, yet ?   Boy or girl ?

Actually, I'm just plain jealous - hope you enjoy it while I struggle at my SDB churning out 250 rounds/hour.     :cheers:

Lol. Bobby jr. 

my son loves his sdb in 9mm. He’s 15 and reloads his own ammo for his g34 carry optics. Asked what he wanted for his birthday and he said his own press. Didn’t like the 650 so he wanted sdb. Little sucker loads about 500 rounds a sitting. 

I just picked up a 1050 for my .223 and it's a great machine,  I did carbide dies and have them on my 650 as well it only comes with 1 primer tube which I thought was lame considering what the thing cost.  just be prepared to keep things filled up because it can crank out the rounds.    they come pre set up for loading but mine needed adjustments it was close but the primer decap was not deep enough and a few other things.   make sure you mount it out near the edge of your work bench or the handle will hit the bench before it fully indexes   they dont say how far in the instructions.  mine was 2.5 inches back from the edge and it wasn't enough.  

1 hour ago, XL6504ME said:

I just picked up a 1050 for my .223 and it's a great machine,  I did carbide dies and have them on my 650 as well it only comes with 1 primer tube which I thought was lame considering what the thing cost.  just be prepared to keep things filled up because it can crank out the rounds.    they come pre set up for loading but mine needed adjustments it was close but the primer decap was not deep enough and a few other things.   make sure you mount it out near the edge of your work bench or the handle will hit the bench before it fully indexes   they dont say how far in the instructions.  mine was 2.5 inches back from the edge and it wasn't enough.  

Can’t you adjust the height of the handle. I see three holes in the handle in pics. Is that just how’s it built or adjustments 

That’s length of handle. Not position of travel. You do have to mount a 1050 rather close to the edge of your bench compared to your old strong mount.

Three things you will love about the 1050 (I just switched from 650 after 8 yrs on one)...

1. Finally the priming gods smile on you. It keeps presenting the same primer until you use it. No more live ones to deal with when you pitch a case after sizing. It’ll continue to keep the same primer ready for dozens of handle strokes until a case arrives to accept it.

2. Swaging and a mechanical primer depth adjustment. It just seats 9mm primers flawlessly. Every time. Regardless of brand of brass or primer. I haven’t crushed or had one hang up yet.

3. Leverage. For handgun, run the handle in the shortest position. It feels like you have twice the mechanical adavantage: 500 rounds does much less wear on your elbow. You also prime at the same end of stroke as sizing, so you’re doing 50% less hard forcing of the handle.

I took a 650 on the strong mount off my comfortable height bench and bolted 1050 directly to it. The height is still pretty much perfect.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

14 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

New 1050 on its way with a new mbf. Since this is my first 1050 from loading on 650’s for 10 years or so what dies are you 40 cal guys running and what’s in each station for best results. Was gonna run the dillons since they already come in press. In my 650 I was running dillon resize decap, mbf funnel, Lee bullet seater and crimp. Was thinking going back with this setup for dies but what are y’all running. I know preferences will be in the comments just trying to see what will work for the best results on the 1050 

I run redding dies , MBF funnel.

13 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Don’t change anything other than the sizing die.  Swap it to an EGW (Lee).

Then pull the ratchet, and if you’re ONLY loading .40, you can pull the swaging rod.

Other than that, the press will load perfect .40 Ammo with no changes. 

Leave the ratchet at least until you you are conferrable with the machine..

Leave the swaging rod been getting some crimped primers as of late.

51 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That’s length of handle. Not position of travel. You do have to mount a 1050 rather close to the edge of your bench compared to your old strong mount.

Three things you will love about the 1050 (I just switched from 650 after 8 yrs on one)...

1. Finally the priming gods smile on you. It keeps presenting the same primer until you use it. No more live ones to deal with when you pitch a case after sizing. It’ll continue to keep the same primer ready for dozens of handle strokes until a case arrives to accept it.

2. Swaging and a mechanical primer depth adjustment. It just seats 9mm primers flawlessly. Every time. Regardless of brand of brass or primer. I haven’t crushed or had one hang up yet.

3. Leverage. For handgun, run the handle in the shortest position. It feels like you have twice the mechanical adavantage: 500 rounds does much less wear on your elbow. You also prime at the same end of stroke as sizing, so you’re doing 50% less hard forcing of the handle.

I took a 650 on the strong mount off my comfortable height bench and bolted 1050 directly to it. The height is still pretty much perfect.

Nice thanks Evan 

On 12/9/2018 at 1:00 AM, Ssanders224 said:

Don’t change anything other than the sizing die.  Swap it to an EGW (Lee).

Then pull the ratchet, and if you’re ONLY loading .40, you can pull the swaging rod.

Other than that, the press will load perfect .40 Ammo with no changes. 

Steven what’s the purpose of the ratchet 

@Dirtchevy841 to make clearing jams and setting up dies a horrific pain in the... yeah. I took it off before loading a single round.

The ratchet mechanism lets you run the dies down onto the cases, but releasing the handle won’t let the toolhead rise back up. Prevents you from squibbing or double charging or what have you... but has to be manually disengaged every time you need to pull a damaged case or toppled bullet or what have you.

I've only had my 1050 6 months and love it. I still have a 650 and its a great machine. But the 1050 is sensational. You will need extra primer tubes!! I have left my ratchet on and will continue to. It very rarely is a hassle and I like the safety. Congratulations on your new machine. Your gonna like the way it loads.

It takes just a second to release the ratchet when there is a problem, I would never remove one. 

I like Lee resizing dies (or EGW) the decaping pins seem to last longer. Have some of these but have not broke my original spares yet https://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Daddy-Hardened-Decapping-Upgrade/dp/B018V7L3C2?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B018V7L3C2

With the swage in place you will feel it if a primer pulls back in the case & you can prevent things getting wadded up at the priming station, I'd never remove that either. 

Lee's factory crimp die is to me just a better design. 

Reddings competition seating die is pricey and I'd call it a luxury instead of a need, but the micrometer adjustment is really nice if you play around any with different oal's.

One of these shining on the powder in the case below the bullet feeder works well , https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lighting/products/skylight-for-the-dillon-1050 , last week I had trash get into my powder hopper (paper from the seal around the rim of the powder container) causing light loads so looking in every case paid off once again. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

It takes just a second to release the ratchet when there is a problem, I would never remove one. 

You’re welcome to that opinion; I would never run one. It’s an annoyance. If you can run the 650 for 10,000 rounds without a squib or the like? Well, the 1050 isn’t really any different in that regard.

I like Lee resizing dies (or EGW) the decaping pins seem to last longer. Have some of these but have not broke my original spares yet 

Agreed. I’m running a mighty armory sizing die now but the Lee with a squirrel daddy pin is a great choice. It’s what I had before.

With the swage in place you will feel it if a primer pulls back in the case & you can prevent things getting wadded up at the priming station, I'd never remove that either. 

Same. Particularly in 9mm, where swaging is badly needed.

Lee's factory crimp die is to me just a better design. 

Reddings competition seating die is pricey and I'd call it a luxury instead of a need, but the micrometer adjustment is really nice if you play around any with different oal's.

Agree with you. I run both of those too.

10 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you can run the 650 for 10,000 rounds without a squib or the like?

Then you are good, as long as you stop at 10,000. 

:) 

No worries, to me I almost never catch on the ratchet and it is just a quick flip back if there is a problem, I feel safer with it but maybe that is not real, not a big deal either way. 

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You’re welcome to that opinion; I would never run one. It’s an annoyance. If you can run the 650 for 10,000 rounds without a squib or the like? Well, the 1050 isn’t really any different in that regard.

Agreed. I’m running a mighty armory sizing die now but the Lee with a squirrel daddy pin is a great choice. It’s what I had before.

Same. Particularly in 9mm, where swaging is badly needed.

Agree with you. I run both of those too.

So which one of the mighty armory are you using. The 40 secret gold sauce. Is it just a sizer die or dies it come with decapper pun also. 

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/made-in-the-usa/products/mighty-armory-9mm-sizing-die

I load 9. I’m using this one. I only have perhaps 200 rounds through it, it’s brand new. I like it so far, and it does decap as well as size. His website just sucks.

Always been interested in knowing how the sizing dies are. I have the regular decapping die, and only broke 1 pin because of my stupidity.