Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using N340 with 180g PD FMJ Bullets (Major PF)

Posvar

I used to shoot .40 open where 340 was my usual powder. I used 320 for limited. It will work just fine but you will likely wind up using a grain more of 340 as compared to your limited 320 load. You may not like the blast/recoil characteristics. Load some test rounds and see how it feels.

Later,

Chuck

5 hours ago, Furrly said:

Never used 340 but I do use N310.. Great stuff.. 

I've been experimenting with N310 recently.  I think I have a load that works for pf (4.3gr), I just need to compare with my usual N320 loads (175pf)to see if it's worth the switch. I had some N310@ 4.4gr 190 coated and was getting 179-180pf Sunday. Only had 4.4 and 4.5 loads made up at the time. Primers looked fine, loaded @ 1.215 Ibejheads 190gr roundnose.

I was going to go to the range last night but never left the house....

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

I've been experimenting with N310 recently.  I think I have a load that works for pf (4.3gr), I just need to compare with my usual N320 loads (175pf)to see if it's worth the switch. I had some N310@ 4.4gr 190 coated and was getting 179-180pf Sunday. Only had 4.4 and 4.5 loads made up at the time. Primers looked fine, loaded @ 1.215 Ibejheads 190gr roundnose.

I was going to go to the range last night but never left the house....

4.2 gr of N310 will be your sweet spot for  your bullet profile and OAL

2 hours ago, Furrly said:

4.2 gr of N310 will be your sweet spot for  your bullet profile and OAL

I shoot IPSC, ~165 isn't going to work unfortunately.  I like ~175 to allow for different chrono's.

It's nice as N310 goes a little further. 🙂

Edited by MikeyScuba

Ssanders224 I have to strongly disagree with you, I have shot Tens of Thousands of rounds with N310 with absolutely NO issues what so ever. it has become my preferred powder for loading 40Cal. I much preferred it over N320, which is also a great powder. 

25 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Ssanders224 I have to strongly disagree with you, I have shot Tens of Thousands of rounds with N310 with absolutely NO issues what so ever. it has become my preferred powder for loading 40Cal. I much preferred it over N320, which is also a great powder. 

You can disagree, but my opinion is based on my professional experience in the ammunition industry. 

There really is NO good reason to run N310 in .40 Major (and there are definitely reasons not to).

Edited by Ssanders224

CCI500, 4.8 N340 under a Falcon 180gr coated, 172PF, SD 9.46.  With LTC SD 8.68.

The only powder that consistently gave lower SDs was Alliant e3.  SDs were always in the 4 to 7 range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...