Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Posvar

Using N340 with 180g PD FMJ Bullets (Major PF)

Recommended Posts

Has anyone used N340? I have a bunch and typically use N320 but was thinking of trying it. This would be with Precision a Delta 180g FMJ bullets 

Edited by Posvar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to shoot .40 open where 340 was my usual powder. I used 320 for limited. It will work just fine but you will likely wind up using a grain more of 340 as compared to your limited 320 load. You may not like the blast/recoil characteristics. Load some test rounds and see how it feels.

 

Later,

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure you can. I think it will be low pressure loads, for loading to Major.

I used N340 to make some soft 357 Magnum loads and thought it was a little sooty, until I used enough to raise pressures a bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Furrly said:

Never used 340 but I do use N310.. Great stuff.. 

I've been experimenting with N310 recently.  I think I have a load that works for pf (4.3gr), I just need to compare with my usual N320 loads (175pf)to see if it's worth the switch. I had some N310@ 4.4gr 190 coated and was getting 179-180pf Sunday. Only had 4.4 and 4.5 loads made up at the time. Primers looked fine, loaded @ 1.215 Ibejheads 190gr roundnose.

 

  I was going to go to the range last night but never left the house....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

I've been experimenting with N310 recently.  I think I have a load that works for pf (4.3gr), I just need to compare with my usual N320 loads (175pf)to see if it's worth the switch. I had some N310@ 4.4gr 190 coated and was getting 179-180pf Sunday. Only had 4.4 and 4.5 loads made up at the time. Primers looked fine, loaded @ 1.215 Ibejheads 190gr roundnose.

 

  I was going to go to the range last night but never left the house....

 

 

4.2 gr of N310 will be your sweet spot for  your bullet profile and OAL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 13 pounds of N340. If it’s not going to work well or better than n320 I’ll sell it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Furrly said:

4.2 gr of N310 will be your sweet spot for  your bullet profile and OAL

I shoot IPSC, ~165 isn't going to work unfortunately.  I like ~175 to allow for different chrono's.

 

It's nice as N310 goes a little further. 🙂

 

Edited by MikeyScuba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

N310 is an extremely fast burning powder.  It honestly has no place in .40. 

You are unnecessarily loading very high pressure rounds. 

 

N340 is fine if you are loading short (standard length) .40. 

 

But, generally speaking, stick to N320.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ssanders224 I have to strongly disagree with you, I have shot Tens of Thousands of rounds with N310 with absolutely NO issues what so ever. it has become my preferred powder for loading 40Cal. I much preferred it over N320, which is also a great powder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Ssanders224 I have to strongly disagree with you, I have shot Tens of Thousands of rounds with N310 with absolutely NO issues what so ever. it has become my preferred powder for loading 40Cal. I much preferred it over N320, which is also a great powder. 

 

You can disagree, but my opinion is based on my professional experience in the ammunition industry. 

There really is NO good reason to run N310 in .40 Major (and there are definitely reasons not to).

Edited by Ssanders224

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

N340 is a superb powder for 40 major.  I got the second best SDs with it and 180 gr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CCI500, 4.8 N340 under a Falcon 180gr coated, 172PF, SD 9.46.  With LTC SD 8.68.

 

The only powder that consistently gave lower SDs was Alliant e3.  SDs were always in the 4 to 7 range.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t used it yet and still need to order brass and projectiles but will report back once I get some ready and tested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...