Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5" 625 Enhanced Revolver

Randy Lee

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy, I HATE to disappoint, but I'm a transplanted GATOR!!!...I've gotta' put up with those darn "DAWGS" all year!!! BTW, the fact that the cylinder has been "Re-imported"...got all those NASTY "Import Stamps" and such...that should make it LESS expensive, right??? RIGHT???...tongue-in-cheek--THIS time....mikey357

I'm pretty sure it's had all it's shots, no Ebola virus detected. Although pretty soon in Calif., it'll have to have microstamped serial numbers in each chamber.

If you ever want to institute a feel-good but brain dead law, come to California...we have organic cookies...

Go Mustangs!

The Bauman 7 shot conversions used a notch the size of the L frame 686's,

seemed to work fine.

Hey Dave, my Baumannizer is going with me to the once-a-year secret Iowa pin shoot on Saturday! In fact, I think Doug might be bringing his along too (the one formerly owned by our late great shooting buddy Phil Reed).

Interesting observation !!!

I've inspected the cyl notches on my N frames.

All of the ramps are off-set slightly to the rear of the notch ( not centered ).

Also, the wear pattern at the bottom of the notch is not at the deepest point !!!

My L frames ( 686's) the wear mark is centered and is at the deepest point of the notch.

Randy, theres your .002 depth increase. Just center the ramp/notch on the N frame cyl.

Dan....... Im' stilll innnn thissss ;):wacko:

You guys won't like it. B)

The test gun was the 625 5" Lisa Farrell shot at the WS.

Narrow serrated trigger

173 pf 230 gr. Fed 150 primers, Armscor bullets

Trigger pull weight 3lbs 11.4oz. with positive return

Recoil wasn't noticeably different, although I need to compare samples side by side with a stock 625 5"

I'll shoot it again later today(it was getting dark so I couldn't shoot more) and let you know my perception of how it handles.

My first impression: Skip Chambers- I have a slightly used 625 steel cylinder for sale...want to buy it? :P

Hi Randy,

Why we not appreciate this?

You have changed steel cylinder and barrell to the gun of Lisa with one of 6.5"?

Not likeable you to joke me with used cylinder <_<:angry:

You know well in that ugly situation finds to me :(

If you want I have two a lot used to sell, one also is knit from a lot is used :D

Best, Igor

Interesting observation !!!

I've inspected the cyl notches on my N frames.

All of the ramps are off-set slightly to the rear of the notch ( not centered ).

Also, the wear pattern at the bottom of the notch is not at the deepest point !!!

My  L frames ( 686's) the wear mark is centered and is at the deepest point of the notch.

Randy, theres your .002 depth increase. Just center the ramp/notch on the N frame cyl.

Dan....... Im' stilll innnn thissss ;)  :wacko:

I noticed that same thing in my 627's and 610's :blink::blink:

It's like S&W made a mistake but since the guns still work they left it that way ??

After thinking about the offset over lunchtime, I think I know why they offset the location of the slot relative to the top center of the c-stop. Inertia is why. For large caliber and hard recoiling guns like the .44 mag there were instances where the cylinders were thought to be out of time. What was happening was that the gun was moving rearward, but the cylinder stop was staying in position. The c-stop is designed to shift forward when the trigger is returned. Under heavy recoil it can do so with the trigger pulled fully rearward immediately after discharge. It will move slightly forward but still be in the upright position to keep the cylinder in the aligned position.

If the cylinder stop is centered in the deepest (center) position of the slot, as the gun shifts rearward, the stop will be pushed downward by the curved surface of the slot. This can allow the gun to slip out of the cylinder locked position. By moving the slot slightly forwards, even if the stop does shift forwards during recoil, it wil be moving DEEPER into the slot and not allow the cylinder to move out of the fixed position. Make sense? Still just a guess .

I haven't seen the manufacturing line at the factory...but I REALLY want to. :D

I shot the 625 Ti again last night on a classifier(not for score). I only had enough time to fire about 25 rounds thru the gun. I deepened the entry cuts leading into the c-stop slots with a diamond burr. There is one slot which had a razor sharp edge which of course broke off after the first assembly dry fire.

Lisa Farrell will be shooting it at the Hogue Action Pistol Range tomorrow for the local USPSA match. I'll get her to post her feedback on how it handles.

Igor,

Lisa shot the 625 Ti cylinder gun at today's match. I asked her to post her thoughts on the gun.

It still has the 5" barrel on it as I haven't had time as of yet to make a test barrel.

So far, everyone that has handled the gun has had favorable comments. The two most noticeable characteristics are felt in the trigger stroke and reduced upset to the sight picture when the cylinder locks just before discharge.

With a dot gun, there is considerably less dot wobble when shooting(very distinct when dry firing).

Sorry to taunt you- my apologies. :(

Randy

Igor,

Lisa shot the 625 Ti cylinder gun at today's match. I asked her to post her thoughts on the gun.

It still has the 5" barrel on it as I haven't had time as of yet to make a test barrel.

So far, everyone that has handled the gun has had favorable comments. The two most noticeable characteristics are felt in the trigger stroke and reduced upset to the sight picture when the cylinder locks just before discharge.

With a dot gun, there is considerably less dot wobble when shooting(very distinct when dry firing).

Randy

Igor,

Randy

Hi Randy,

I have made some mistake to write the post :(

Don't worry,I understand that you have much job, better therefore :)

When "the splendid creature" is finish is possible look a pictures?

I do not understand what is the "trigger stroke and reduced upset to the sight picture when the cylinder locks just before discharge.

With a dot gun, there is considerably less dot wobble when shooting(very distinct when dry firing)."

Sorry, I speak and understand English very bad :( , my dog is not a good teaching :D

Ah! Still this I would want to know: "Sorry to taunt you"

Best, Igor

Hi Igor,

Your english is fine. :)

Taunt- to tease, entice with curiosity.

The best way to explain is to demonstrate. Pull the trigger on your revolver(unloaded) six times as fast as you can and watch the way your front sight moves each time you pull the trigger. Also note how the gun feels each time the cylinder stops. The weight of the cylinder causes the gun to move each time the cylinder stops on a new chamber. The faster you pull the trigger, the more you feel the gun move.

With the Ti cylinder, the front sight moves less when you try the same experiment.

The trigger pull feels smoother and lighter because you are not moving the heavier cylinder.

The more you shoot it, the better it feels. It just takes a little time to get used to.

I like it. :D

Randy

Randy you need to quit making these guns, (after mine is finished of course). :) You are making me want another toy. I am already shooting three different Revos as it is. This makes it hard to pick ONE!!! and practice. Randy Lee Maker of the 625-Ergonamicaly correct revolver. Does that what the E stands for? B) rdd

Randy you need to quit making these guns, (after mine is finished of course).  :)  You are making me want another toy.  I am already shooting three different Revos as it is.  This makes it hard to pick ONE!!! and practice.  Randy Lee Maker of the 625-Ergonamicaly correct revolver.  Does that what the E stands for?  B) rdd

Okay, I'll stop. It could be that the E stands for exiled or extinct or perhaps excellent. Smith and Wesson's Excellent Adventure!

Hi Randy,

as usual you are always much kind one ;)

Now I understand very very good :D

I am driving crazy sall envies for your new cylinder <_<

You american guys are very lucky people, in Italy these modification they are much difficult to make :(

I must urgently take provisions :angry:

I attend with anxiety the pictures with the barrel 6,5"

Best, Igor ;)

Yeah Randy.....Where are the PICTURES ??????

Surely there are some pictures, the thing has been in Ecuador and other places, now it is time for it to be on the............

BRIAN ENOS

Forums !!!!!!

Quit being so selfish!!!! ;););)

We shot a club match here today, Had a no shoot on the left side of a target.....

That terrible torque you keep talking about MUST have made me get that shot on the no shoot !!!! I know it wasn't me.....That sight was on the brown !!!!!

HURRY we are all in trouble, can't control that torque and keep the holes in the right spots !!!!!!! HELP Randy HELP :P:P:P

HOPALONG

HOP,

If the No-shoot was to the left of the brown cardboard, then it was definitely the torque! :D

Lisa! Tell them I'm not crazy! The torque monster does exist! :o

I'll post pics of the gun, although it still has the 5" barrel. It still pretty much looks like a 625 with a darker colored cylinder. Better yet, come by the vendors area at the Steel Challenge and dry fire the gun . A pull of the trigger is worth a thousand words. If Mike F. and Mike D. allow, I'll have some Hearthco moons loaded up for test fire.

Even if Smith simply offered a 625 with a Ti cylinder, it would be to our advantage.

I'm going to install a Lo-jack transmitter on the test gun. :)

If I go to all the ttrouble of carrying a digital camera out to the Steel Challenge, can I take some pictures of the RANDY MONSTER, Randy? I'll post 'em on my blog if I can.

Also, when are you and Lisa shooting?

We're filming over at Oak Tree Wednesday and Thursday, then starting filmin gat Piru on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

Michael B

Greetings fellow revolver enthusiasts!

I apologize for not posting earlier. A huge thank you goes to Randy for the privilege of allowing me to shoot your prototype revolver in its first match.

Frankly, I don't want Randy to continue this project - I think just my revolver needs to be overhauled with a new titanium cylinder. Nobody else needs one of these :P:lol:

Seriously, this was the most comfortable revolver inspite of the 173 pf I was shooting this past weekend. The weight distribution was really nice, especially for my small "girly" hands. I don't like to admit it, but I do struggle with the recoil and weight of the 625...especially when I reload (for those of you who don't know me-I stand a mighty 5'2"). I wish I could have had this revolver at the World Shoot. No doubt my split times were significantly shorten due to the "no torque effect" with this revolver - the front sight didn't bounce around. I found it much easier to shift my sights from target to target.

All joking aside, Randy actually had to pry the gun out my hands...I didn't want to give it back. Yep, I'm the real reason for the Lo-jack transmitter. :ph34r:

Regards,

~Lisa

www.squibload.com

Hello all,

I spoke with Jay at Precision Sights Int'l and he will be sending out one of the LPA TXT01-07 rear sights for the protogun. With any luck, it will arrive before we head down to the Challenge.

I looked at a sample of the sight earlier this year and really liked the design and leaf profile. If you are looking for a nother rear sight option, I'd seriously look at this sight.

M.B.- The monster is slowly morphing into the 625E... :D

Randy

Hello all,

I spoke with Jay at Precision Sights Int'l  and he will be sending out one of the LPA TXT01-07 rear sights for the protogun. With any luck, it will arrive before we head down to the Challenge.

I looked at a sample of the sight earlier this year and really liked the design and leaf profile. If you are looking for a nother rear sight option, I'd seriously look at this sight.

M.B.- The monster is slowly morphing into the 625E... :D

Randy

Randy,

I have the TXT mounted on two Revos. Works fine! You may have to millcut the cutout a little bit deeper for a better sight picture. This improves it! Hope you have a higher front sight on hand. Probably necessary (I needed it on both Revos)!

Did you get the parts?

Best,

Sascha

post-6018-1126641637_thumb.jpg