Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5" 625 Enhanced Revolver

Randy Lee

Why is everyone hot on the Ti cylinders?? especialy in 45? i have not measured them, but it seems the 45 cylinder would be one of the lighter cylinders to begin with. my 38 super is not fluted and seems quite heavy to me, but i sure dont notice it shooting. the PC 625 cylinder is shorter than a standard 625 also, might help on the weight. use 155's and save a TON of weight off the cylinder and its cheaper too!!!??? =) i am new to the 625's so i am totaly ignorant to the ins and outs of them. i did order up a 625 PC so thats why i ask. i know that the PC guns are overpriced clunker Smiths but they do have some features you cant get without a big gunsmith bill. i think it would have cost me more in the end to get a standard 4" 625, buy a new 5" or longer barrel, shorten the cylinder, overtravel stop.ect ect. i could be wrong??

The Ti .45acp cylinder is ~3.5 oz lighter than the stainless cylinder. The Ti cylinder loaded with 230's is the same weight or slightly lighter than an empty stainless cylinder. It really is noticeable when you're pulling the trigger. The cylinder stop notches hold up too.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any idea on what the conversion and cylinder cost is? i am going to send my 625 right to Randy as soon as i get it in hand. maybe i will put that on the list

I've only installed 2 Ti cylinders (in std 5" 625-8's). Re-using the original star they were a drop in needing only the endshake adjusted. If you have a PC 625 the Ti cylinder will have to be machined shorter to match your PC cylinder. Why S&W didn't do this on the PC gun is beyond me. The downside is the gun will be lighter and recoil "sharper". However, as mentioned, the gun "torques" noticeabley less when the cyl is spinning and trigger pull is definitely nicer/lesser. Everything is a trade-off.

Edited by Tom E

One thing that everyone seems to agree on is hat the Ti cylinders cut down on th problem of peening but may add the problem of destroying the CS if it is MIM . Would it be possible to have both the cylinder and the Cylinder Stop made from Ti ???????

Just a thought ?

TCF

I installed my Ti cylinders going on three years ago. Tens of thousands of rounds later (and a fair amount of dry firing) and I haven't replaced a MIM stop yet.

I made the change because I was peening the stainless steel cylinders, so I can't corroborate the CS problem.

One thing that everyone seems to agree on is hat the Ti cylinders cut down on th problem of peening but may add the problem of destroying the CS if it is MIM . Would it be possible to have both the cylinder and the Cylinder Stop made from Ti ???????

Just a thought ?

TCF

I installed my Ti cylinders going on three years ago. Tens of thousands of rounds later (and a fair amount of dry firing) and I haven't replaced a MIM stop yet.

I made the change because I was peening the stainless steel cylinders, so I can't corroborate the CS problem.

I installed a Ti cyl. this spring. 1500 rds and countless more dryfires later this wheel keeps turning. Sure, there is a weight trade off. Ultimate reliability inspires confidence in my firearms besides, the steel cylinder is now interchangeable if so desired.