Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5" 625 Enhanced Revolver

Randy Lee

Hello all,

I spoke with Jay at Precision Sights Int'l  and he will be sending out one of the LPA TXT01-07 rear sights for the protogun. With any luck, it will arrive before we head down to the Challenge.

I looked at a sample of the sight earlier this year and really liked the design and leaf profile. If you are looking for a nother rear sight option, I'd seriously look at this sight.

M.B.- The monster is slowly morphing into the 625E... :D

Randy

Randy,

I have the TXT mounted on two Revos. Works fine! You may have to millcut the cutout a little bit deeper for a better sight picture. This improves it! Hope you have a higher front sight on hand. Probably necessary (I needed it on both Revos)!

Did you get the parts?

Best,

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

I haven't seen them yet. Mail around here is pretty slow.

Any packages show up on your doorstep?

~Randy

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to handle the MIRACLE REVOLVER today in Randy's hotel room today. Whoa,doggy! Hand me the checkbook, honey; the kids don't need no shoes!

Will get pixs and hopefully have a chance to shoot it tomorrow, and will post both pixs and comments on the blog tomorrow PM!

Michael B

PS: Filmed excellent show with David Olhasso of Beretta today...really pleased with it!

Amazing gun, Mr. Randy! Sweeney, this thing'll give you a stroke of some sort. Yes, there's definitely a difference re: torque...recoil with 175PF loads reminded me more of a 1911 than a revolver. The 4 pound DA trigger didn't hurt, ether. Ran it on a plate rack, and it was fast fast fast...

More on the blog after the Challenge is over, along with pixs!

mb

Unfortunately, I must be the bearer of bad news this morning. Five hundred guns at half a millon bucks is looking to be a bridge too far at present. Economies of scale are working against the wholesaler and for Smith in this situation. The project may yet see the light of a factory floor, but the costs are starting to overshadow the great design idea. We wouldn't want this to be a Tucker...I believe in the concept, but it's going to take a much greater demand to see production.

I spoke to Jerry at the awards ceremony yesterday. He will be going to Smith in November to talk to the engineers about some improvements of his own. He commented on the accuracy problems and the fact that many of the shooters he's talked to say that their guns aren't holding up.

Jerry mentioned that he'd like to see Smith make the 625 with both the 25-2 profile and the full underlug profile as the 175pf does sorta hurt after a while with the lighter profile barrels.He didn't know about the 625's with the Ti cylnder heading his way.

If Smith will simply commit to making a 625 with a Ti cylinder, that's a step in the right direction.

As for me, I will be making the 6.5" barrel assembly myself. Krieger Barrels is making a .45ACP barrel blank for me. Krieger holds some impressive accuracy records. They also single point cut their rifling. It takes more time and is more costly, but I believe the new barrel will give me the accuracy I need.

The prototype was very well received as Michael Bane has commented. I'm glad he had the chance to shoot it(thanks to Lisa for arranging it). Trigger pull was between 3lbs 12 oz. to 4.0lbs depending on how much sand had accumulated in the action due to the dusty conditions at the Piru range.

Jerry didn't get to shoot it, but he will have his own to play with soon.

Todd Jarrett had a chance to handle my Steel revolver. If you ever get to chat with him, ask him about it. Paul Erhardt of SIGARMS just liked watching the expressions on people's faces as they tried dry firing the guns. I have to admit, the expressions alone were worth the trip. Perhaps we still have a chance to bring more auto shooters over to the "round side". B)

It was also nice to associate faces with other BE forum members like Shred, DougC and a few others. I also had a chance to kick around a few ideas with Ken Jorgensen of Ruger.

Edited by Randy Lee

OK. So who do I have to bribe to buy cylinder assemblies?

Seriously, the last time I sent my 625 in with "throw-by" problems, they replaced and chamfered my cylinder. (after much argument and charging me for it) Then it took me nearly a month to repair the gun so it would run. It would have been cheaper and faster for me to install the cylinder myself.

I realize I'm in the slow reader group when it comes to revolver gunsmithing, but it will be a chilly day in Heck before I send my gun back to them. The guy I dealt with claimed to have 20+ years experience. I say he has 6 months times about fourty.

My local Pusher, er um, Dealer, quoted me $659.00 plus tax for a 325. Anybody want to buy a stripped frame for around $500.00?

OK. So who do I have to bribe to buy cylinder assemblies?

Seriously, the last time I sent my 625 in with "throw-by" problems, they replaced and chamfered my cylinder.  (after much argument and charging me for it)  Then it took me nearly a month to repair the gun so it would run.  It would have been cheaper and faster for me to install the cylinder myself.

I realize I'm in the slow reader group when it comes to revolver gunsmithing, but it will be a chilly day in Heck before I send my gun back to them.  The guy I dealt with claimed to have 20+ years experience.  I say he has 6 months times about fourty.

My local Pusher, er um, Dealer, quoted me $659.00 plus tax for a 325.  Anybody want to buy a stripped frame for around $500.00?

I'm in the same boat with you about buying a 325. Or I was untill this last weekend.

I built a modified randsom rest that mounts to the back of my jeep this last week. It uses the inserts from randsom, and it will only work with revo's as it does not have a hole to put a magazine in a semi auto. Anyways, my two 627's were shooting about 2" groups at 25 yards and My 625 was doing 3" groups. The 625 would put all 6 shots into a 1" hole if I would rotate the cylinder all the way to the stop as I pulled the trigger other wise it would do 3" groups if I just pulled the trigger strait tru. This is with a 230 gr lead bullet. Who'd up thunk a regular S&W would outshoot a performance center gun?

I'll try to post the pictures of the rig I build if I can ever figure out how to. For now I'll keep the old all SS gun.

...well, it's a SHAME about the "Economies of Scale" thing...College Professor TRIED explaining that to me once, but since it did NOT involve girls, cars, guns OR football, well...I'da bought one...AT LEAST one...even if "MM" is a TIGER fan!!!...Randy, do you have an "In" with S&W so that you can obtain the Ti cylinders to do the conversion(s) on some kind of "Regular" basis???...Thanks....mikey357

My local Pusher, er um, Dealer, quoted me $659.00 plus tax for a 325.  Anybody want to buy a stripped frame for around $500.00?

Here is my warning on the 325s Mine has about 1000 rounds through it and shakes so bad the cylinder hits the barrel. It appears to me the barrel of the yoke is peening from recoil to the point it has a sharp edge.

I have a yoke liner and stretcher but I am choosing to send it back so they can look at the yoke.

RANDY Are you using the Ty yoke or the stainless yoke on your monster child?

I was planning to use the 325 in IDPA but it seems the 170PF loads are beating it to death. My friend in Cust Service is going to check it out when they get it back.

I may be interested in the frame and yoke but we will have to talk price ;) (frugal Yankee)

Regards,

Middle Man,

Find a partener for the deal.......??????

Me personally, I think I would just go with a 25 and do all the work I do on my 625.

There is something about a nice DARK BLUE gun !!!!!

If a Ti cylinder is not too outragous maybe go with that too. Gotta see.

GOOD LUCK to all on their endeavors !!!!

HOP

Well Hop I'll let you in on a secret of this side of the gun business, most of us are price whores and if something like the 625 E doesn't sell in a short enough time frame some folks will cut it to the bone and ruin the market with a 2% or less profit. Much like innovation, patience is not a widely know virtue in the gun industry. We'd rather not see that happen, after all this isn't charity.

Gary, you're absolutely right--in order for Sammy to become truly successful at this wheelgun game, he's gotta work to develop that special muscle just above the beltline that helps tip the moonclip holders out for fast access.

If you carefully inspect this photo depicting a group of fairly accomplished revolver shooters, you'll see what I mean:

post-4033-1127172302_thumb.jpg

Here is my warning on the 325s Mine has about 1000 rounds through it and shakes so bad the cylinder hits the barrel. It appears to me the barrel of the yoke is peening from recoil to the point it has a sharp edge.

I have a yoke liner and stretcher but I am choosing to send it back so they can look at the yoke.

RANDY Are you using the Ty yoke or the stainless yoke on your monster child?

I was planning to use the 325 in IDPA but it seems the 170PF loads are beating it to death. My friend in Cust Service is going to check it out when they get it back.

I may be interested in the frame and yoke but we will have to talk price ;) (frugal Yankee)

Regards,

I used the steel crane with a Power stainless shim to adjust endshake. Untreated Titanium doesn't wear well, so the shim allows for steel on steel wear as the cylinder rotates. Using a good quality oil, the wear should be kept to a minimum.

I will approach Camfour about buying into this project. If they like what they hear, perhaps they will sign on board for 250.

Gary, you're absolutely right--in order for Sammy to become truly successful at this wheelgun game, he's gotta work to develop that special muscle just above the beltline that helps tip the moonclip holders out for fast access.

If you carefully inspect this photo depicting a group of fairly accomplished revolver shooters, you'll see what I mean:

Yup, somma dem boys been gittin their fair share of the taters.... :P

I used the steel crane with a Power stainless shim to adjust endshake. Untreated Titanium doesn't wear well, so the shim allows for steel on steel wear as the cylinder rotates. Using a good quality oil, the wear should be kept to a minimum.

I will approach Camfour about buying into this project. If they like what they hear, perhaps they will sign on board for 250.

You've still got my attention. :huh:

So far, the mass of the steel frame, barrel and crane delays the recoil impulse so that the battering doesn't occur.

The 325 and 327 snubbys are ridiculous insofar as sound engineering practice is concerned IMO. But there must be a market for them as they are still selling. Scandium frames are Aluminum with a teeny tiny percentage of Scandium. Low weight and few rounds are the intent.

I am holding a brand new 327 snubby in front of me. Here is what I see:

A .015"blast shim to prevent flame cutting through the Scandium/Al topstrap

A steel insert surrounding the frame bolt for the cylinder to bear against.

A brite Aluminum wear spot where the centerpin and ejector star ramp up when closing the cylinder(cylinder couldn't have been opened more than ten times)

Compression ring around the firing pin bushing and at locations around the recoil shield in the frame where the cartridge cases hit during recoil(perhaps 8 rounds at the factory?).

.003 endshake measured from the barrel/cylinder gap.

Frame stud which keeps the cylinder from falling off the yoke when you eject your empties shows a brite wear spot( My guess is that sooner or later the frame would need to be replaced as the cylinder will eventually override the stopping surface.

To sum it up, Scandium frames are not designed for frequent use. 175 pf loads will beat these guns into an early grave.