Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 aluminum grip

blacklab

This is an honest question so please don't hang me by my thumbs from piano wire for asking. I'm gathering parts for a new open gun project and am looking into an aluminum grip. There's not a big selection to choose from, but while searching the web I stumbled on Airsoft grips for 2011's. And there's a lot more to choose from in the Airsoft world, but I don't know if you can cross breed Airsoft with the real thing. Airsoft Masterpiece makes a really nice looking grip for Hi Capa Airsoft pistols and by looking at pictures I think with a few small mods it might work. Has anyone ever tried an Airsoft grip on a STI or CK Arms frame? Does it fit and do STI mags fit? Is the mag release the same as a real 2011 or will a real 2011 release fit the Airsoft grip? The one I'm looking at cost $270 so I don't want to pay that kind of money if it doesn't work. Does anyone have any experience with Airsoft/real interchanging?

image.png.e73b4f4cd3599fc037fe74791a3c4d90.png

I have no experience with aorsoft grips but looking at the picture it looks like it would need a lot of modding. The front grip screw slot looks like it isn’t really a slot and has a screw where a hole should be. Also the rear grip screw slots are not shaped the same where the grip would slide onto the frame. 

The grip slides on to the frame on a square/rectangular channel like I marked in the photo. Also people report on real 2011 aluminum grips having a history of cracking. I’m sure these aren’t the highest quality aluminum and wold probably break down the line but that’s just a wild guess. 

BA9E282C-9800-46F3-8A15-F25FA700B717.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shmella said:

I have no experience with aorsoft grips but looking at the picture it looks like it would need a lot of modding. The front grip screw slot looks like it isn’t really a slot and has a screw where a hole should be. Also the rear grip screw slots are not shaped the same where the grip would slide onto the frame. 

That's what I seen to, I didn't think it would be too hard to mill the slots to match a true 2011 grip. I was also wondering if it would hold up.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

If I were going to buy an Al grip, it would be this one.  http://ccgunworks.com/e2-grip-kit-aluminum-double-undercut/ 

I have the same grip in SS and it's a beauty.

I handled a grip like that one, its nice but I didn't care for the texture. The best way to describe it is it felt a little slippery to me, its not as "grippy" a stippled plastic grip. That's why I was looking at this one, I think I would like the checkering better. I think it would be the same feel as a checkered 1911 grip. Cutting checkering into the E2 grip could turn into a small nightmare.

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

PT titanium grip is the way to go if they're still available.  Feels great, plenty durable, and a lot lighter than the steel version. 

I cant seem to find one in titanium, only stainless steel. And looking at the pics I'm not sure if it would feel slippery like the E2. After 30 years as a steamfitter the feeling in my hands isn't that great anymore. The more aggressive the texture the better for me. Maybe I can find someone that has one that I can try.

1 minute ago, blacklab said:

I cant seem to find one in titanium, only stainless steel. And looking at the pics I'm not sure if it would feel slippery like the E2. After 30 years as a steamfitter the feeling in my hands isn't that great anymore. The more aggressive the texture the better for me. Maybe I can find someone that has one that I can try.

You probably are not interested in shelling out nearly 1K on a grip if you're interested in putting airsoft parts on an open gun.

1 hour ago, lacivilian said:

You probably are not interested in shelling out nearly 1K on a grip if you're interested in putting airsoft parts on an open gun.

You are absolutely right. I can talk myself into $650 for a stainless grip but $1k would be a hard pill to swallow.

2 hours ago, lacivilian said:

I bought mine a while ago, and don't remember what I paid.  Sure hope it wasn't anything close to $1k.

8 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I bought mine a while ago, and don't remember what I paid.  Sure hope it wasn't anything close to $1k.

I found a place in Canada that sells them but they cant export. They are selling them for $1060. That's a little above my pay grade. And a little above my wife's tolerance level.

That's still a little above the wife's tolerance level. $650 would buy me a week sleeping on the couch. At $840 I would have to evict the dog and sleep in his house for a week. I just couldn't do that to poor fellow, I like him to much.?

8 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Just searched my email and found the message string.  Cost was $840 shipped.  But that was almost three years ago.

Yeah, I get that.  Lucky for me, my wife doesn't really care what I do.  Anyway, going back to the original question, I would say that even if you can get that airsoft grip to fit, odds are pretty much zero that it's going to hold up on an open gun.  Even the STI grips were cracking constantly and they were supposed to have be made for these guns. 

Your probably right. I think I'm going to look into the Evo aluminum grip with the extra sharp cut, I didn't know they offered that. Hopefully it will work out and not feel slippery. I just have to find someone who has one so I can try it before I commit to placing an order.

48 minutes ago, blacklab said:

That's still a little above the wife's tolerance level. $650 would buy me a week sleeping on the couch. At $840 I would have to evict the dog and sleep in his house for a week. I just couldn't do that to poor fellow, I like him to much.?

Coward?

woman  is the best friend of  man?

Hello: The STI aluminum grips work well if fitted correctly. I know of three of them that have over 15,000 rounds of 9mm and 38SC major loads. The problem was people were just bolting them up without seeing if they were binding up. I have one of the original STI aluminum thin grips on a play/action pistol 9mm and it is working fine after 10 years or so. A little skateboard tape does wonders on a slippery grip. You may want to ask yourself why do I need an aluminum grip and what advantage is it over a plastic grip? Thanks, Eric

25 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

You may want to ask yourself why do I need an aluminum grip and what advantage is it over a plastic grip? 

Especially for $650     :eatdrink:

I have many  guns  that didn't cost that much.     :) 

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

13 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

You may want to ask yourself why do I need an aluminum grip and what advantage is it over a plastic grip? Thanks, Eric

I'm starting to wonder if an aluminum grip is worth it. The only reason I want to go aluminum is I'm old school, real guns were made of metal and toy guns were made of plastic. I've never had a problem with any of my plastic grips but I thought I wanted to upgrade to real gun status. Maybe Its not such a good idea after all.

13 hours ago, zzt said:

b, if you think the Cheely e2 Al grip is 'slippery', I seriously doubt you will like any metal grip.  The Al e2 is significantly grippier than a standard EVO.

Maybe your right, considering my hands are like old worn out shoe leather and have been burned so many times I'm amazed I still have fingerprints. Maybe I should just stick with a plastic grip and do aggressive stippling like my other ones. If its not broke don't try and fix it. I just wish there were more options for grips for the 2011 platform. If I can find someone with an Evo with the extra sharp cut I'd still like to try it but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point in the game.

3 hours ago, corny said:

Check out the Limcat grip.  Deep River Custom / Davinci built Manny Bragg a new 40 cal Limited gun with the LImcat grip on it.  It is outstanding.

I'm not sure how I missed that one in my search but it looks like it would work. I'll give them a call and see if I can get one in aluminum. Thanks for the heads up.