Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Accurate 9mm Bullet?

Jayman

I have had extremely good accuracy from Winchester 115 gr JHP, and Zero 115 gr and 125 gr JHP. (5 shots less than 1" at 25 yards).

IMHO the gun matters more for this than the particular bullet, you may find your gun likes the plated bullets better than the jacketed bullets, the only way to tell is to try some of each loaded in the same type of case, same type primer, same powder. (Bullets, primers, cases, powder... all have an effect on accuracy)

I am glad this thread started. I'm getting ready to decide between building a 38 super or 9x19 metallic sight gun for Bianchi.

The advantage that 9mm has is that you can shoot a .356 bullet in a .355 bore, which gives you more engagement with rifling. Rob Leatham, as an example, shoots a 105 gr sintered tin bullet (WinClean) out of his metallic sight gun, and apparently this is a favorite of the PPC crowd also. But, as the guys above said, many 1000's of rounds of 115's and 125's of the Sierra and Nosler brand have been fired with fantastic restults.

I am glad this thread started.  I'm getting ready to decide between building a 38 super or 9x19 metallic sight gun for Bianchi.

The advantage that 9mm has is that you can shoot a .356 bullet in a .355 bore, which gives you more engagement with rifling.  Rob Leatham, as an example, shoots a 105 gr sintered tin bullet (WinClean) out of his metallic sight gun, and apparently this is a favorite of the PPC crowd also.  But, as the guys above said, many 1000's of rounds of 115's and 125's of the Sierra and Nosler brand have been fired with fantastic restults.

Many barrels today are .355, even 38 supers, so you can build a 38 super and still take advantage of the .355 barrel.

Zero, Sierra and Hornady jhp bullets all shoot well for 50 yard accuracy. Everything being equal between .38 super and 9mm guns, I would go with a gun chambered for .38 super every time. Especially if you are going to handload for Bianchi events.

Bianchi Cup 50yd accuracy shooters swear by 115jhps by Sierra and Hornady XTPs, in that order.  I have had good luck with 115jhps by Zero as well.  DougC

hornady XTPs have been really accurate in my SV

the encapusulated FMJ 124 FPFMJ is also very accurate.

my gun may be a special case, but it shoots MG full metal jackets better than it does the CMJ or the JHP.-

Jayman,

If you are talking Bianchi Cup/Bullseye accuarcy, then see the above posts. If you are looking for a good 9mm bullet for IPSC or IDPA, then then many recommend a Zero or Montana Gold as jacketed bullets that represent a good value. (Berry's are plated, not jacketed.)

I get 1.5" at 25 yards with Zero 125 grain JHPs from the factory barrel of my CZ-75B.

Everything being equal between .38 super and 9mm guns, I would go with a gun chambered for .38 super every time.
FWIW, I remember speaking with Jim Clark Sr. one time and he mentioned that he always had better luck with the 9x19s. A lot has changed in terms of bullets and barrels since then, though.

XTPs, 115 or 125. When I last talked to Irv at Bar-sto about just this subject, I asked him "Building a Bianchi or ESP gun, would you go Super or 9?" His answer was that the Nines are consistently more accurate, and he would always go first with a 9 building a tack-driver.

To add more to what I started, I'm shooting a Glock 34 with stock barrel. I'm doing mostly IDPA, some USPSA. I prefer 147gr bullets, but have recently been playing with 124s.

My favored load thus far is a 147gr berry's plated and 3.3gr of Titegroup. (No shock, everybody here's using it if they aren't using VV powders.) The accuracy is on par with most factory ammo I've compared it to. I was just wondering if there was better out there?

I tried a 124gr berrys double struck round nose over 4.0gr of Titegroup. Group size was small, but it hit above POA. (Fairly notably so, actually.)

Same bullet over 3.5gr of Hodgdon's Clays gave me the WORST accuracy I have ever seen. Trying to get two bullets through the same hole at 7 yards was almost impossible.

So that was what got me thinking that I might be better off with a true JHP for match type rounds. I considered picking up some XTPs, but then thought I'd ask you guys. I'm not averse to trying out the Zeros or Montana Golds. Are the 147s as accurate as the lighter ones?

The 147's I have used were a least in the same arena for accuracy as the 125's and 115's. I don't recall actual group size, however I was not disappointed by them. FWIW

It all depends on whether or not your gun likes them...

Try 4.2 of Titegroup with your current bullet.

I have shot several thousand rounds of this using Rainier and Zero bullets through a G17 and G34 and it shot POA = POI. The PF is pretty high for a 9mm but if there is steel involved that's a good thing, felt recoil seemed less than 115 gr factory.

• 1 month later...

i think it's more the gun than the bullet don't you think? one has to find a projectile that works in their particular gun. an accurate bullet in one gun may not be as accurate in another. also, what was accurate in the beginning may not be after 200,000 rounds.

my suggestion would be to try a handful of different projectiles and go from there. oh but then there is the load behind the projectile, this is a another monster in itself.

i've been shooting for 6 years and i still find myself testing different loads.

good luck and have fun

FWIW, I found that the Hornady XTP in 147gr with 3.3gr of Titegroup behind it was perfect for my needs. It is a little hotter than PF floor, coming out at around 960fps, but by no means is it too snappy or blasty. Compared to, say, CCI/Blazer 9mm 115gr, it is a downright powder poof. It shoots as accurately as I can out to "competition distances" in both IDPA and USPSA.

Accuracy is a function of what the bbl likes more than what brand bullet and powder are used. Thomas Moore has it right about trying a few before settling on anything. Remember too, that a specific bullet over one powder may not work at all like it will over another powder. Crimp can effect things for the better, or the worse too.

The bullet that I wound up settling on for two flavors of 9x and .38 stupor is the Remington 124gr Golden Sabre JHP. Shoots tight and the price is right. I get them at Midway whenever I find them on sale. Sometimes calling and saying you want 5-10k will get a great price quote when there isn't a sale on. I usually pay 56-57/k at midway when I buy them.

--

Regards,

XTPs, 115 or 125. When I last talked to Irv at Bar-sto about just this subject, I asked him "Building a Bianchi or ESP gun, would you go Super or 9?" His answer was that the Nines are consistently more accurate, and he would always go first with a 9 building a tack-driver.

Maybe he should tell Koenig and Piatt they are using the wrong caliber at the Bianchi Cup.

What the gun/barrel likes is crucial.

In general, JHP's have proven to be more accurate. The reasoning is simple, JHP's have more bearing surface over other bullet designs. They have to in order to build the weight up.

I've always had incredible success with XTP's. I've also used the Nosler IPSC bullets a lot and they too proved to be very accurate.

J