Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting equipment

I find it interesting...

That the current World Champ uses ...Tanfoglio, Aimpoint, Vectan SP-2, and CR-Speed  (not the most tricked out gear)

Also interensting is Patrick's article of the guns used by the top-dogs in the US at the Open Nationals last year.  While most shoot some type of 1911, they weren't the "newest toy".

And, here is an interesting post that ought to get the single-stack fans all worked up:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97075

(Don't kill the messenger)

Now that's a truckload of Bandini!!!!

I think the author didn't mention #1 reason for Glocks popularity: Injection-molded pistols are inexpensive to manufacture, so, in a sense, CHEAP.

Watch a double charge in a Glock and a double in a 1911....or an alloy-framed Baretta....HK, no, wait, that's another plastic one.....Sig?  Aluminum casting?  Maybe some just like guns made of steel....(Niobium revolver anybody?)

Flex

I am not trying to kill the messenger.  To each his own.  Glock is a great weapon, but lets hold off on the comparison till Glock is 97 years old and then lets see what people have to say about it.  If it stands the test of time like the 1911 then he can put forth all the adjectives he wants.

If he can't wait that long, well, tell the guy that wrote that piece of crap, to come by my house and I will demonstrate how well my antique 1911 can shoot his bigoted  ass.

Another aspect that has not been covered is Sponsorship.  The best are the best because of their skills and not the gun they are told to shoot by the sponsors (unless it can't be made to work).  If someone handed Todd J. an SV he would shoot it as well (or better) than he shoots a Para.  Same with Brian or Robby.  All these guys need is reliability and they will win.  They often fear the "latest trick" that has not been proven reliable for fear it will cost them a match.  I don't think that any one gun component is so advanced that it will make you beat a better oponent using good components.  A week ago Armando Valdez showed up at Frank Garcia's range and mopped the floors with ALL of the open (and limited) shooters in attendance with a beat up old Glock.  Humbling aint it.

Leo

I sold my Glock for a variety of reasons.  The BIG reason for me is that I could not get a damn magazine that would reliably fall out of the gun.  I bought FML, NFML, everything but the steel aftermarket mags that everyone said to avoid.

On the other hand I bought a 1911, and later a wide body 1911, for one simple reason, upgrades.  There is no other type of handgun that offers such a vast array of add ons, upgrades, and customization options as the 1911.  I like flexibility and the 1911 offers that in abundance!

-jhgtyre

Flex:

You get the Wooden Spoon Award for stirring up the most crap. I get a real chuckle out of the 1911 vs. Glock debates.

Most of my friends shoot Glocks and train at Gunsite. The guys I compete with/against when I travel shoot 1911's or 2011's and bash plastic pistols and caps with pictures of birds on them.

Funny thing, I compete with the good old single action platform, but my "carry gun" is made of polymer.

Wooden Spoon ,   Heeeeyy..I won something.  :)

But...please remember...I'm not the one that said it.

Heck, I just ran into a thread "over there" where some gun-store clerk said the Glocks would stretch with use and 1911's were two-handed guns...neither any good for defense.

This thread accurately reflects where folks waste their energy.

That's not to say that technique doesn't matter; but in the end, it doesn't. As long as your physical techniques do not violate basic leverage or mechanical principals, you're probably good-to-go.

"That's not to say that technique doesn't matter; but in the end, it doesn't. As long as your physical techniques do not violate basic leverage or mechanical principals, you're probably good-to-go."

Another top 10 benos pearl of wisdom.

This place is saving me years of frustration...

SA

Several Months ago I shot a local match on the same squad as Frank Garcia.  (He has been known to use some salesmanship to sell a class or two from the shooters in the match, if possible)  He was teasing some of the shooters about their techniques or strategies after they shot each stage.  I had the luck to shoot after he did and, although I shot the stage the same way that he did, I was 2 seconds faster.  He smiled as he walked up to me and said “I have never seen anyone with such poor technique shoot so fast”.   I smiled and thanked him for the compliment!  

Leo

• 2 months later...

"I sold my Glock for a variety of reasons.  The BIG reason for me is that I could not get a damn magazine that would reliably fall out of the gun.  I bought FML, NFML, everything but the steel aftermarket mags that everyone said to avoid."

The "drop free" Glock mags, in my experience, don't. Back when I carried a Glock 19, I used exclusibly non-drop frees. I found that, on about half the non-drop frees, when the mag got down to about five rounds, they'd fall out of the gun just fine. I remember going to a class once where I was the only Glock shooter who could do a decent speed reload, because I was the only Glock shooter whose magazines would fall out of the gun when he pressed the mag button. I was also the only Glock shooter running "non-drop free" mags! Go figure.