Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ball Heads

caz41

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What tripod did you get?

I have owned a bunch. The best ballhead was Really Right Stuff BH-55. It's expensive and heavy but worked awesome. I had the RRS BH-40, Manfrotto XPRO, Slik, Etc. I Run a 75mm Bowl Leveling base now. If it has a bowl style tripod that's a good way to go. If you have a flat-top with screw the Universal leveling head is good too. Take a look at the Sunway Photo heads, not quite as nice as the RRS, but not as pricey either.

You could also get away with just a Hog Saddle or similar too. I have run them all. Depends on how serious you are and how much cheddar you got. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like RRS because "Made in USA" and all that, plus they really are the best and what the others copy. 

I've had the BH55 and it is solid but the leveling base is even more solid. I hear the new RRS Soar head sits in between the two but only works with the new version 2 RRS tripod yokes. 

Nowadays I use a RRS 24L and BH40 because they are lighter and serve dual purpose for photography. It's not as sturdy but sturdy enough. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, Delfuego said:

What tripod did you get?

I have owned a bunch. The best ballhead was Really Right Stuff BH-55. It's expensive and heavy but worked awesome. I had the RRS BH-40, Manfrotto XPRO, Slik, Etc. I Run a 75mm Bowl Leveling base now. If it has a bowl style tripod that's a good way to go. If you have a flat-top with screw the Universal leveling head is good too. Take a look at the Sunway Photo heads, not quite as nice as the RRS, but not as pricey either.

You could also get away with just a Hog Saddle or similar too. I have run them all. Depends on how serious you are and how much cheddar you got. 

You can't go wrong with really right stuff, here is why. You will say to your self that's really expensive then buy a cheaper product, over time the product will fail hopefully in practice vice  not on a match. Spend the money now on a product you will only have to buy once.  I have used all the high tripod all which as designed for cameras systems   Even with the Marine corps bought  a specific tripod for the sniper program picked a bushnell tripod, super strong and heavy but the weak spot was the head. The head is one of the most important aspects of the system..

On 3/10/2019 at 2:29 PM, Delfuego said:

I did play with this one last month at a match. Not bad for the money. Look familiars too eh?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYFF3UM

They also offer a smaller model, but bigger is better (more stable) ;)

hows the tracking system and the lock up 

any issues with the system coming out of tension

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...