Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel guide rod in glock.

Gloxrunna

I am new to uspsa. Have been doing really well running my bone stock glock 19 limited devision so i went and bought a new glock 17. I will eventually run it open until i can afford a 2011 style pistol. My question is, will a steel guide rod mess up the frame of the glock? I do know a polymer rod was intended to let the frame flex. So to tune a comp i will need a steel rod and would think non captured would be the best. Thanks.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:19 PM, Gloxrunna said:

Awesome thanks. I am trying yo figure out why people say glocks arent durable enough for open..i was thinking maybe using a steel guide rod might have something to do with it but if it doesn't cause issues maybe they are referring to running major power factor in 9mm with a comped gun...?

with a frame mounted optic + major PF + short OAL

the frame will wear out quicker from the higher PF,
worn out frame = more dot movement

7 hours ago, Gloxrunna said:

Well what about if shooting minor pf?

only problem with shooting open minor in glock, is balancing the comp, load, and recoil spring.
- you'll still have to tune the ejection(likely have to lower the ejection port), due to the optic mount
- I've yet to find a good minor PF balance, between recoil springs, load, and comp size
  - major PF already requires a really light recoil spring(less than 12lbs), minor you'll likely need to go down to 10lbs or so

Highly suggest shooting carry optics if you're dead set on a minor PF glock with an optic.
it'll be cheaper and more fun.

• 1 month later...

Running a steel guide rod shouldn’t be an issue, Jager guide rods are one I like. Running a 17 in limited will be difficult, since this would be minor scoring, you’ll be losing quite a few points per match for c and d hits. Carry optics or production are more common places to see someone running a 17. If you’re set on shooting limited a 22 or 35 in 40sw would be more common and get you the extra points. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...