Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are we really Revolver “Enthusiasts?”

An observation from yesterday’s local match: when sorting the brass, the kind lady who was picking it up kept bringing me all the .38 special. Halfway through the match, I asked her how she knew it was mine. She replied “you’re the only one shooting it!” That has given me room for pause. At a revolver competition, only one shooter out of 22 shoots what is, in my mind, the pentultimate revolver round. Even though I’m a weekend duffer D shooter, I’m racking up the classic division wins as most times I am the lone entrant. Everyone else has gone at least moonclips and the top shooters are shooting 929 with 9 mm which is, in my observation, becoming the default competition round across all disciplines. So this morning I’m wondering if it’s the competitive nature that governs our choice of gear. If so, perhaps we need to rethink what the last letter of ICORE should stand for.

27 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Keep shooting your revolver and enjoy yourself.  You may be the only one but wait until you start beating some of those auto shooters.

If you want company, find an ICORE.ORG club near you.  They only shoot revolvers.  

You misunderstood (or maybe I wasn’t clear). This was at ICORE.

Certainly, it is a competition. 

And the Enthusiasts actually tend to go with what's most competitive, they are constantly in search of the "best" for their endeavors.

So most in ICORE go with 38 short, or long, colt with moon clips due to the better extraction and loading.  In Classic where you use speed loaders 38 special, or even 357 mag, ammo is better as the shorter cases don't work as well with the speed loaders.

Some of the 929 competitors even use 38 short colt cases, but most have probably gone to 9mm due to availability of cases.  But if you are using a really good moon clip they tend to be manufacturer specific, kind of minimizing the advantage.  Of course a lot can be said, thinking of it myself, of going with 9mm due to the ease of using only one set up for a 1050 or mark 7 progressive machine.  If I need to use a specific brand of brass, that's easy enough to do.  Then work up a single load for "many" disciplines and divisions.  

The relative cheap cost of 9mm firearms across the different uses, outside of a USPSA Open Pistol, vs cost of money/time in ammo makes the 1 caliber and many guns a viable option.

Now would I actually like a 6.5" barrel is the question???

Edited by pskys2

I think it depended on which squad you were on.  A few in ours were using 38 special, however everyone was using moonclips.  Made for a fast moving squad.  We were back at the Casablanca by 1:35 yesterday.

And with 929’s we can leave our brass here and not care.  ?

Also just depends on where you are at and number of classic enthusiast in the area.at my home range the only ICORE match we shoot is the annual postal match. Out of the 6 shooters that showed up, four were Ltd, two classic. However, 2 1/2 hours away another club host monthly ICORE matches and 80% or more of these guys shoot Classic. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 10:07 PM, S&W627shooter said:

I would argue that the buying the 929 and putting a dot on it would be joining the dark side.  LOL

I wonder how effective that comp is, could a more efficient comp be found.

I've seen 627 V comps still selling for over $1300 and 929's going for under $1000, so the 929 is on my mind for Open ICORE.

Let me sum up why the "E" in ICORE is still relevant and meaningful; To be a revolver enthusiast means to love shooting the Wheelgun plain and simple. It doesn't matter what caliber or loading method you use. The design premise and mechanical system remains the same and requires a special level of understanding and skill to efficiently manipulate one through all the motions. To adhere to a traditional caliber or method of charging the cylinder would make one a "purist". ICORE is not just about being a purist, but they are welcome just the same as anyone else, its about accepting tradition and the to grasp new ideas to continue interest in the Wheelgun. Also dont loose sight that the Moonclip was invented to accept a .45 ACP (or webley across the pond) in the Neighborhood of a hundred years ago. So Pistol Calibers in a revolver and accepting moonclips is almost as old or "traditional" as the .38 Special itself. So summing it up...its about the Gun, not what you choose to feed it! So go shoot ICORE and be happy people still give the revolver, in any form, the respect it deserves.  

P.S. I am a Enthusiast with a side of purist.....I still shoot 38's (38 LC) in my 627. I owned the crazed 929 and personally am not a fan. I do however see the allure of plentiful brass at every range across America with the advantages of its shortness..thats what steered me into it. But Having a .357 revolver  with its versatility of powder puff 38's to Full House magnums and its Stainless Steel Cylinder (Yes thats a dig on Ti)  just seems better. Of course I seek out and own many older smiths to satisfy my purist side 😁

Edited by BallisticianX

18 hours ago, AzShooter said:

If you can get a 929 for under a grand get it.  It's the best choice for ICORE. Reloading 9mm is easy and you can find a load to tune your gun just right.  Try 160 grain bullets.  They work best for low recoil and accuracy.

IF I did it would be with 38 sc, as I'm invested in that at this time.  

LGS had a V Comp for under a grand, I just didn't get there in time.

An on line vendor had a 929 for $950, it's probably gone now too.