Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Strike One or Type B owners?

porkster

As much as I was advised not to pick up an Arsenal Strike One since there would be limited support and parts accessibility, I wound up purchasing an ("overpriced") Salient version. 

And the end result is that I love it. I would not say that it is a hugely noticeable difference over a lightly modified Glock 34, but I do feel that it performs just a bit better for it to count. The Type B from Archon just got released and I am wondering what the feedback is. 

Competitively, the Salient Strike One would classify as Limited in USPSA, which is a huge disadvantage in that division. In the production division, it would really be a great pick. 

I have the original Strike One , version with better trigger .

Trigger on it is hands down best stock striker fired trigger out there , Don't like the way they did magazine catch , for me it wasn't reliable until I worked on it..

Really don't understand what happened to it. It's an awesome pistol for a price

• 2 weeks later...

Read the recent reviews and it has got awesome reviews.

main issue is that trigger is metal and retains heat when shooting volume. Probably not a real issue in competition?

I am saving my pennies for the Alien! :)

My Salient Strike One was really getting up there in my favorites, but unfortunately it became unusable in a steel comp this time. Sometimes after a shot, the mag would fall out, happened several times in a row and basically ruined a bunch of stages. The magazine release system is way more complicated than it should be, with an oddly shaped leaf spring and an ambi-button that failed. The range officer gave it a test fire and the mag fell out every 8-9 or so rounds. I'd say I am around the 1500 round count on my Strike right now.

Apparently this is a common issue among the few strike one owners out there. Rain 6 had posted a video addressing the fix for it using pliers to bend the leaf spring and pointed to that the gun includes a guide on how to adjust it. Seems silly that they should have went with a really simple reliable system instead of one that is prone to failure. Not sure if the Type B has the same system but it looks to be the case. 

I just finished bending mine back into shape tonight so we'll see how many rounds it goes for before needing an adjustment. The manual says an adjustment is probably required every several thousand rounds or so. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 11:28 PM, porkster said:

My Salient Strike One was really getting up there in my favorites, but unfortunately it became unusable in a steel comp this time. Sometimes after a shot, the mag would fall out, happened several times in a row and basically ruined a bunch of stages. The magazine release system is way more complicated than it should be, with an oddly shaped leaf spring and an ambi-button that failed. The range officer gave it a test fire and the mag fell out every 8-9 or so rounds. I'd say I am around the 1500 round count on my Strike right now.

Apparently this is a common issue among the few strike one owners out there. Rain 6 had posted a video addressing the fix for it using pliers to bend the leaf spring and pointed to that the gun includes a guide on how to adjust it. Seems silly that they should have went with a really simple reliable system instead of one that is prone to failure. Not sure if the Type B has the same system but it looks to be the case. 

I just finished bending mine back into shape tonight so we'll see how many rounds it goes for before needing an adjustment. The manual says an adjustment is probably required every several thousand rounds or so. 

I had same issue with my strike one . I even did video about it on my channel. With little tweaking it becomes pretty reliable 

I was lucky and found one on a local board. The pistol in my opinion is outstanding, worth every penny. It comes with black rear FO front installed, 4 magazines and a nice range bag so there is no need to spend an additional $150 (mag plus sights) like most polymer guns.

Outside and inside, the gun shows a high quality finish level, with a very good attention to detail. Full length rails on both sides. Feels very solid. It has a locking block mechanism for the barrel which reduces the barrel movement enormously. For clarity, this is not the typical tilt barrel Browning. It is a VERY flat shooter, the sights barely move from the A zone after firing the first shot. The barrel lock plus the very low bore axis combined provide an excellent shooting platform.

I shot two local matches with factory ammo as my loads were a bit long for the short barrel throat (it works fine after loading some rounds at 1.100) and I won them both. So shooting a gun I never shot with ammo I am not familiar with, and had no issues at all. The trigger does not get hot, and it's designed to help with a straight pull back.

The texture of the grip is excellent, very detailed and not painful. The undercut helps a lot, along with the beavertail.

Being left handed, I was amazed at how easy it is to swap the mag release, I have never seen anything like it: inserting the mag backwards releases the button, which can then be swapped without tools while standing at the range. It's quite incredible and unprecedented. 

The Glock-like trigger safety is at the back of the trigger, not the front so while it provides the same level of safety it does not get in the way at all. 

So in conclusion I am really convinced this is the best polymer on the market. I have owned and shot a VP9 and the PPQ, own and like the P10c a lot, shot Glocks and M&P's intensively so I am quite familiar with the top polymer pistols on the market. They don't even come close in my opinion. 

I am sure I have forgotten plenty, happy to answer questions if there are any.

Edited by dspring
spelling

On 11/5/2018 at 11:22 PM, valerko said:

I had same issue with my strike one . I even did video about it on my channel. With little tweaking it becomes pretty reliable 

Oh, that's you! I saw your video and sent you a message on Instagram, what a coincidence. 

I'm glad to hear that your mag release has been pretty reliable after tweaking it. The thing that bugged me the most was when my mag fell out during shooting, I couldn't get the mag to come out by pulling on it, so it was hard to tell when the release bar needs an adjustment. I am concerned that over time again with numerous reloads, if it will bend the release bar again and fail. 

Archon told me that they had revised the magazine release on the Type B, but no diagrams or additional info was available. I was thinking if it could be retrofitted into the Strike One, that would be a final solution. 

18 hours ago, dspring said:

I was lucky and found one on a local board. The pistol in my opinion is outstanding, worth every penny. It comes with black rear FO front installed, 4 magazines and a nice range bag so there is no need to spend an additional $150 (mag plus sights) like most polymer guns.

Outside and inside, the gun shows a high quality finish level, with a very good attention to detail. Full length rails on both sides. Feels very solid. It has a locking block mechanism for the barrel which reduces the barrel movement enormously. For clarity, this is not the typical tilt barrel Browning. It is a VERY flat shooter, the sights barely move from the A zone after firing the first shot. The barrel lock plus the very low bore axis combined provide an excellent shooting platform.

I shot two local matches with factory ammo as my loads were a bit long for the short barrel throat (it works fine after loading some rounds at 1.100) and I won them both. So shooting a gun I never shot with ammo I am not familiar with, and had no issues at all. The trigger does not get hot, and it's designed to help with a straight pull back.

The texture of the grip is excellent, very detailed and not painful. The undercut helps a lot, along with the beavertail.

Being left handed, I was amazed at how easy it is to swap the mag release, I have never seen anything like it: inserting the mag backwards releases the button, which can then be swapped without tools while standing at the range. It's quite incredible and unprecedented. 

The Glock-like trigger safety is at the back of the trigger, not the front so while it provides the same level of safety it does not get in the way at all. 

So in conclusion I am really convinced this is the best polymer on the market. I have owned and shot a VP9 and the PPQ, own and like the P10c a lot, shot Glocks and M&P's intensively so I am quite familiar with the top polymer pistols on the market. They don't even come close in my opinion. 

I am sure I have forgotten plenty, happy to answer questions if there are any.

Thanks for your thoughts. I also really like mine a lot and it was a heck of a surprise considering there are so many established makers. Do you have the Strike One or the Type B? 

If it is the type B, would you mind posting what the inside of the mag release system looks like? 

I came so close to buying a late model strike one when they were selling for $750 but decided against it.  

Are the archon type A's even out yet? I didn't even realize the salient guns came to market at all. 

Not having the best luck with my gun-- Had light primer strikes on three rounds of PMC factory ammunition. One of the rounds, I put back into the gun and it still failed to fire with a second attempt. These all fired just fine in my Beretta Elite II (with a lowered 13 lb hammer spring) and a factory Sig P210. 

Will probably just send the gun back to Salient this time. 

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, retiredshooter said:

Thanks for your inputs .

Really looking at the archon

But hard to justify its that much better than a glock . Thks

I was honestly disappointed with my Type B.  Not saying its a bad gun by any means, it seems to be well built, please don't assume I'm bashing it.  I'm just not satisfied after the wait and price.  I preordered, and mine came in with the second batch to ship.  I waited over a year, and was super excited. I had a wonderful experience with the Arsenal Strike One Speed model prior.  Being a very flat shooting gun, with a great trigger.  At the time was the only polymer gun on the market that actually was different than every other one enough to impress me to want one.

When the Type B shipped and I finally got my hands on it, it just was not the same. The gun was excellent quality, came with four mags and some kinda funny smelling lubricant.  Felt amazing in the hand, but I noticed right off the bat it seemed kinda heavy, and the slide was kinda wide.  Played with it, noticed it the slide was sprung extremely heavy.  Side by side comparing to a Glock 17, it was about as long, a hair wider on the slide.  I had assumed it was going to be more in the realm of the Glock 19 size guns but it wasn't.  The trigger was different, and alot heavier than I expected. Nothing like the Strike One.  A pencil test revealed it had very light ignition.  Light to the point where maybe it might be a federal primers only kinda gun.

When I finally shot it, I ran off the shelf federal 115gr FMJ.  It ran flawless, no light primer strikes, but it had the recoil impulse of a hi point!!!  Between the heavy compound recoil spring system and the slide weight it shot nothing like the Arsenal Stryke One.  Its like those two things completely cancel out the whole point of the low bore axis.  I didn't even bother trying heavier defensive loads.  Even my minor PF handload was rough.  Just to much moving mass and to much spring.  I didn't measure it but prior experience would compare to a 18 or heavier pound recoil spring.

A fellow shooter at my local club showed up with a Raven edition...  Which hands down felt entirely different.  I don't know if they've changed the recoil spring system but it was considerably lighter, and the gun was actually lighter with the additional mill work.  I didn't have an opportunity to feel the trigger break.

I honestly wish they were still importing the Strike One's, and really wonder if the Type B's had been made where they were originally supposed to under the Arsenal trademark if they would have been more like the Strike One.

Still I have hope for the Type B.  I understand they are making constant improvements, even selling a kit to lighten the trigger.  However its $95 for two small springs and a small fabricated metal part.

For the money, just about any other common cheaper production gun like a Glock 17, Sig P320, or M&P has a better recoil impulse.  One could buy an M&P 5" with an Apex trigger, competition sights, and a stack of mags for the money of the Type B, and end up with alot flatter shooter gun with a heck of alot better trigger.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Lee Blackman. Where can I get that archon B trigger you are referring to? I love mine and am very interested in a lighter trigger. Searched everywhere online. I could only find a company offering a trigger job. Would prefer to install it myself. Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 9:02 AM, Utopio said:

Lee Blackman. Where can I get that archon B trigger you are referring to? I love mine and am very interested in a lighter trigger. Searched everywhere online. I could only find a company offering a trigger job. Would prefer to install it myself. Thanks in advance!

The last time I saw them was on the rain6 website, that was a little bit ago. I just looked and don’t see it anymore. 

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive and old thread, but picked up a Type B and have been looking around for any info on after-market parts. I know Archon themselves are now doing trigger jobs, slide milling, etc., but I still can't find a lead on spare parts. Archon has not responded to any inquiries about buying recoil springs or assemblies from them as parts wear. Anyone seen any after market support for these yet?

My experience is not the same as Lee Blackman's.  I think it has a nice recoil impulse and shoots flat.

That said, the trigger isn't as nice as I had hoped for (but doesn't seem to hurt me too much when hosing), I don't care for the grip texture, and it DOES seem a bit over-sprung.  Mine was made in 2019 with a Hungarian slide.

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:52 AM, touji said:

Sorry to revive and old thread, but picked up a Type B and have been looking around for any info on after-market parts. I know Archon themselves are now doing trigger jobs, slide milling, etc., but I still can't find a lead on spare parts. Archon has not responded to any inquiries about buying recoil springs or assemblies from them as parts wear. Anyone seen any after market support for these yet?

Not yet and I’m not having any luck getting archon to sell me spare parts. I have two type b’s and both of them broke sears around 2000 rounds. The one has broken 2 sears but it’s above 4000 rounds so for me it consistently  breaks them around the 2k mark. So having a spat sear wolf me awesome. Other than that, I never have malfunctions and I’m using it for training and idpa.

I really like your trigger as well. This is currently my favorite pistol but my standards are low I was a Glock guy for a long time. Shot my buddies shadow systems Glock 17 type gun the other day and it felt terrible. 

Oh snap, I have an idpa match this Sunday. Just a local match but both my archon type b’s have broken sears. Great! They are sending me a sear in the mail but they want me to send in one of my guns. I am fine with that, I’m just venting. The one I shoot the most probably has close to 6k on it. That one has broken three sears, the other one has maybe 3k on it and that one broke one sear.   

Very frustrating, I’ll probably be shooting my Maxim 9 for comp this weekend lol. 

I freaking love the archon and the only issue I’ve had is the sears break. Hopefully they figure it out. Or find a harder steal to use. 

Edited by Twilk73

• 3 months later...

I upgraded my own trigger. No trigger job needed just replaced one springs. One spring took me from 4.8 pounds stock to 2.6 pounds. If I were to polish somethings and replace a second spring at the sear I believe I could make this a 1 pound trigger. No lie! Currently with just the one spring replaced the take up is almost none existent with  a really clean crisp break. Nothing in the trigger affects reliability because of the way the striker works so long as the parts return to their intended position. The only thing preventing that is broken parts. 

I’ve ordered more springs to see how good I can make it ultimately I’m only after a 2.5 pound trigger for the comp pistol but curiosity got me going. None of the safeties are disengaged. And that’s the best part. I’ve learned a tone on the function of this pistol. If the sear were to break and the firing pin came forward there is a safety in place to prevent the striker from meeting the bullet. This gun is very underrated, the designs are genius.