Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Strike One or Type B owners?

porkster

On 11/19/2022 at 7:46 PM, Twilk73 said:

I upgraded my own trigger. No trigger job needed just replaced one springs. One spring took me from 4.8 pounds stock to 2.6 pounds. If I were to polish somethings and replace a second spring at the sear I believe I could make this a 1 pound trigger. No lie! Currently with just the one spring replaced the take up is almost none existent with  a really clean crisp break. Nothing in the trigger affects reliability because of the way the striker works so long as the parts return to their intended position. The only thing preventing that is broken parts. 

I’ve ordered more springs to see how good I can make it ultimately I’m only after a 2.5 pound trigger for the comp pistol but curiosity got me going. None of the safeties are disengaged. And that’s the best part. I’ve learned a tone on the function of this pistol. If the sear were to break and the firing pin came forward there is a safety in place to prevent the striker from meeting the bullet. This gun is very underrated, the designs are genius. 

Which spring did you replace and which spring did you replace it with?  That's great news!

10 hours ago, Qbert said:

Which spring did you replace and which spring did you replace it with?  That's great news!

Pm me if you’re interested in a set of springs, I have plenty extra. 

I ended up using a stainless 302/304 spring in .051 wire diameter for the trigger plunger. This effects take up mostly. Then I used a .048 wire diameter spring for the sear. Both these springs are originally .06mm. My goal was .05 for both springs but I ordered some as small as .03. Using a spring that was .038 for the plunger proved to have issues with the trigger returning because the trigger safety would catch. If I could just get a .043 spring in stainless I think I’d have that spring at the weakest you could make it before reliability is an issue. But reliability could be come an issue then when heat and wear takes its toll. The sear spring is originally a progressive spring and I don’t know why. The new sear spring is not progressive but works just fine. The sear spring doesn’t make much difference on weight because the sear drags on the striker and that weight is equal to about 2 pounds. Hence needing to lighten the striker spring to get a lower trigger pull. Not ready to go there yet as I fear reliability issues. 

I can not get this trigger down to 1.5 pounds without changing the striker spring and modifying the sear more than I’d like. With that said I prefer the stainless springs because they have a higher heat temp before they start to break down. Music wire is something like 250*f and stainless 302 is something like 400*f I think, it is also less susceptible to weather breaking it down. 

So in the end my trigger pull according to wheelers digital gauge is 2lb 10oz. I did do some polishing and a did make a slight adjustment to the sear. This doesn’t seem accurate, it seems too high. So I hooked up a very crude weight system and started adding weight to the trigger until it broke. At 2lb 1oz no break, at 2lb 3oz it broke several times. All this does is make me seem dumb. But the reality is the wheeler gauge can be manipulated. Depending on how it’s pulled I can consistently get 1lb breaks. If I pull it real slow I get 2lb 10oz breaks consistently. I’m a mechanic not a gun smith, sorry. 

I spent several hours trying out different configurations trying to decide on what felt best and what would work best and still be reliable. I am still testing, I only have 300 rounds on these springs right now, and it’s winter so shooting has slowed a good bit.  The trigger feels amazing and I’m going to let it like this for awhile. I’ll probably try some lighter springs eventually or try a lighter striker spring at some point. Just because I’m curious. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the Strike One design and have been shooting them since they were introduced to the states several years ago.  I'm much more a fan of the metal frame variations though.  I have an Ergal and Ergal Pro along with a polymer Salient model.  They have the lowest bore axis of any locked breech pistol that I know of and they point very well for me.

Here are a couple pictures of my Strike One Ergal.  Trigger is identical to the Salient, but a lb lighter from the factory.  The slide is that of a Strike One Speed.

IMG_8348.jpg

IMG_8351 (1).jpg

Edited by bac1023

On 12/6/2022 at 9:33 AM, bac1023 said:

I'm a huge fan of the Strike One design and have been shooting them since they were introduced to the states several years ago.  I'm much more a fan of the metal frame variations though.  I have an Ergal and Ergal Pro along with a polymer Salient model.  They have the lowest bore axis of any locked breech pistol that I know of and they point very well for me.

Here are a couple pictures of my Strike One Ergal.  Trigger is identical to the Salient, but a lb lighter from the factory.  The slide is that of a Strike One Speed.

IMG_8348.jpg

IMG_8351 (1).jpg

If you could put an optic on this gun I’d own one. 

• 1 year later...

Here we are a few years later. The Type B is now being imported by PTR. Plans are to eventually transition to US manufacturing. 

The guns are currently available in Gen1 and Gen2 formats. The Gen1 is more or less the original Type B while the Gen2 uses a different frame texture (actually stickers from Talon) and can be lengthened to use the Strike One magazine. 

It looks like guns milled for the RMSc or RMR footprints are available now. 

4 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Here we are a few years later. The Type B is now being imported by PTR. Plans are to eventually transition to US manufacturing. 

The guns are currently available in Gen1 and Gen2 formats. The Gen1 is more or less the original Type B while the Gen2 uses a different frame texture (actually stickers from Talon) and can be lengthened to use the Strike One magazine. 

It looks like guns milled for the RMSc or RMR footprints are available now. 

Where is the most abundant source (whom is the importer on record and main distributor)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 6:44 PM, RGC said:

Where is the most abundant source (whom is the importer on record and main distributor)?

On 1/28/2024 at 7:05 PM, RGC said:

And are these mag proprietary?

Guns are being imported by PTR Industries. The plan is to eventually transition to US production. Mags are proprietary. Some report using CZ mags with some mods to the catch slot area. 

Thanks!

I have a new Ergal.

Knowledge of what needs to be done to modify to use the CZ’s?  I have a few new MBX 140cz variants I was going to flip but if I could get them to work?…::

On 11/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, Twilk73 said:

I upgraded my own trigger. No trigger job needed just replaced one springs. One spring took me from 4.8 pounds stock to 2.6 pounds. If I were to polish somethings and replace a second spring at the sear I believe I could make this a 1 pound trigger. No lie! Currently with just the one spring replaced the take up is almost none existent with  a really clean crisp break. Nothing in the trigger affects reliability because of the way the striker works so long as the parts return to their intended position. The only thing preventing that is broken parts. 

I’ve ordered more springs to see how good I can make it ultimately I’m only after a 2.5 pound trigger for the comp pistol but curiosity got me going. None of the safeties are disengaged. And that’s the best part. I’ve learned a tone on the function of this pistol. If the sear were to break and the firing pin came forward there is a safety in place to prevent the striker from meeting the bullet. This gun is very underrated, the designs are genius. 

Sorry to drag this one out…but any specific spring list should look at?  McMaster Carr or Amazon lol.

I had bought a couple of strike one speeds way back and a Stryke B.  I loved them but had many issues with them. Many trigger failures and failures to feed HP’s. When it got hot it started to fail.  I even bought a salient version. Same issues.  I loved the weapon so much as far as ergos go.

What do you think about the APF versions?  I want to give it another whirl but not sure about it?  I want to put an optic on it as well.  I see another company makes a rear plate that attaches to rear dove tail.   Could any of you give me your thoughts?  Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

So far have had a heck of a time finding optic plates that work.  I had one come in from Europe that was advertised to fit the Ergal (and it did not).

The plate it came with did not have any pins included (think they missed it).

On 2/22/2024 at 11:41 AM, RGC said:

So far have had a heck of a time finding optic plates that work.  I had one come in from Europe that was advertised to fit the Ergal (and it did not).

The plate it came with did not have any pins included (think they missed it).

Mac defense will mill an rmr footprint if needed. 

I’d contact APF if you need an optic plate. 

2 pounds 5 oz is the lowest I could get the trigger to work reliably. Lower than that and I had reset issues. I don’t give the sauce away, I actually sell a trigger and sear spring if you’re interested pm me. You’re likely to see 2.5-3 pounds out of an unpolished trigger group. The take up is a tad long because of the way the safety works but the reset is very short. There is no mush in the take up and the break is crisp. 

ipscstore dot com sells a lot of parts for the strike one. They’re over seas but they get me parts in a few weeks here in the states. They might sell the optic plates? They have some competition parts as well like steal guide rods. 

I use my sai strike one in idpa and uspsa. It has had almost zero issues in almost 5k rounds. I had one light strike in practice at the very end of the season. I don’t know if it was dirt or the striker spring wearing it. I haven’t cleaned it yet, the lube I use is rated for warmer temps and it’s possible it migrated into that channel and caused the issue.

Now the archon type b, I have two of those and both have had issues. I think this is do to archon jumping around to different manufacturing facilities causing qc issues. PTR warrantied my broken gun though. So archon has its own manufacturing facility now it just got up and running end of last year. No more relying on others to do the job for them. PTR is going to be manufacturing some guns here in the US though. 

If you have any questions just ask. I’m very knowable on the guns. 

Oh in my experience no the mags perform properly in the strike one other than Arsenal magazines. The mag catch notch is slightly lower or higher, I don’t remember but it causes feed issues. The follower is different as well so I tried changing the follower to the Arsenal and that’s when I noticed the notch wasn’t the same height. I currently have a mag stuffed with some cz aftermarket spring and grams follower and +5 base pad to get 24 rounds in it for uspsa. I haven’t tested it yet though so I’m not sure if it feeds. It should work these are basically tangfolio/cz75 magazines. The difference is in the follower and the notch for the magazine release. There is a mec gar mag that works for a witness or something but they don’t allow for slide lock to work. Because the magazine doesn’t sit high enough to engage it. 

This was typed on my tablet, apologies I barely proof read this I have to go for now. 

Testing a TF +5 with grams internals today with the Ergal.  IF all goes well going to look at getting the slide machined for an extra SRO.  I may bring the Arsenal follower with me JIC as well but likely sacrificing a couple rounds in the mag with it.

Just received 2 more mags (so have 4 so okay for USPSA running).

Now to find a proper kydex holster...

On 3/2/2024 at 9:24 AM, RGC said:

All went well with the grams yesterday...

Same I think I’m using the grams follower with a +5 extension made for a cz75 mag it was a package deal from the pro shop so it came with a spring too. I have to load the mag with the slide locked to seat it properly when 24 is stuffed in there. It worked fine though. 

For a holster I use a universal x300 appendix holster. There are a few companies making holsters though. 

When I had the sro milled I also had a Glock rear dove tail milled. I no longer run irons on this gun though. Here is a picture. 

I’ve run a 12# spring but currently I’m using a 15# spring. The slide lock is to easy to knock forward with anything less and actually can even be knocked forward with The 15# if the magazine is inserted too harshly during reload. This causes the slide to go forwards before the round has a chance to seat. 

How many rounds do you have in the ergal so far and have you had any issues? I’ve been considering one but the one American review I’ve seen they had feed issues that I suspect where caused by trying to use cz mags. 

Sai strike one

Edited by Twilk73

Looks good!  Deciding to sell the Ergo Pro though and just going to run X-Caliburs for all the shooting I do....

On 3/6/2024 at 12:13 PM, RGC said:

Looks good!  Deciding to sell the Ergo Pro though and just going to run X-Caliburs for all the shooting I do....

Noticed it on gun broker. Any issues or just going another way.