Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm case ' belly'

The carbide insert in Dillon dies is longer and is tapered to size the brass further down.  When you flare the brass back out this leaves a portion of the brass still tapered below the flare.  Then when you seat and crimp the bullet the tapered portion below the flare is visible giving the finished round a "coke bottle" appearance.  As others have mentioned this does help prevent bullet setback and is by design.

I’ve used both the Dillon and the Lee U die for resizing 9mm in my 650 and both size the brass the same leaving a taper that has a “waist” after the bullet is seated. For speed the Dillon is more forgiving when the brass isn’t quite set in the shell plate, but I like the Lee decapping pin better.

If you are writing about the bulge at the base of some brass, that can’t be fixed in the resizing die. You will have to use the Lee Bulge buster or something similar to remove that.

Don’t forget 9mm is not a straight case like others and both company’s dies taper the brass smaller than specs.

All my Coke Bottles bulge in the middle, I've always felt the term "wasp waisted" better describes the cases that are slightly smaller in the middle than at both ends.  This is a desirable final result as it really helps prevent bullet setback, even after a fairly hard hit on the end of the bullet.

OP, if you don't like the appearance use a Lee sizing die (not U-die) instead of the Dillon.  I have both dies on dedicated toolheads and can easily identify which bullets were loaded with the lee versus the dillon dies.  BTW, functionality there isn't a difference in the quality of the finished cartridge.

• 3 weeks later...