Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Rifle red dot

bishop414

Building a rifle to suit open rules.  Only issue I have no experience with, the 2nd sight, i.e. red dot.  

Which dots do the open shooters recommend? Thinking 3 moa or close to it.

What mounts to use, and will I need a riser on the mount?

Where to mount the dot?

Thanks for the insights.

Jer,

Some will say you don't need a dot with the 1-6s &8s, but I think it's nice to have. I run a 8moa jpoint on a JP mount. Works great. Don't need a tiny dot (2-4moa) cause it's usually used for pistol distance targets.

Enjoy the dark side!

jj

I tried using a dot and I seemed to waste more time in transitioning from the dot to the scope. I have a C-More C3 scope on my rifle and it does everything I could want it to do. With a 50yd zero it works perfect, aim 3 1/2" high at targets 25yds and closer and pretty much dead on from 50 to 225yds. The nicest part is the dot in the scope is identical to the C-More slide ride dot on my pistol , I noticed that the dot color and brightness vary from manufacturers. The way I do it is set my scope for the farthest shot of the stage, I don't worry about the closer targets being in focus because the dot in the scope stands out enough and I'm used to looking at that same 8moa dot in my pistol. But if you do put a separate dot on your rifle I don't think I would go any smaller then 8 moa. When I had mine on my rifle I just had a simple 45* mount between the scope mount and charging handle with a Burris ff3. I tried it out farther on the rail but that didn't work at all for me. I think a lot of it is personal preference.

I've played with the Open setup a bit.  I already had a Bushnell TRS-25 laying around not currently being used so just used that.  For the price it's a pretty decent red dot though; I've had it on a few different guns over the years and it always worked well.  There are of course better red dots, but I already had that one so just used it.  I got this mount and it seems to work well; no riser or anything else needed, see pic below.  I have it mounted behind the scope and with the stock fully extended that seems to work well, but I haven't tried it in front of the scope to compare.

0b3LCvQ.jpg

Have used a Bushnell TRS 25 with a 3x9 scope.    Currently have that rifle set up with a Burris FF3. Had /have the reddot zeroed at 25yards.

Haven,t shot it lately second rifle has a PST 2 with a switch view lever works for both tack ops and open.

If I were putting together a open set up I would go with the Warne mount that has the built in offset mount for the red dot that way you don’t need a separate mount, Warne also sells a offset mount for red dots if you like your scope mount you already have. I would look at any red dot that has a 6moa dot, I tried a 3moa on a pcc and it was a bit harder to pick up. I feel 6moa is perfect for the distance that you would be using the offset optic for.

My primary scope is a Steiner 1-4x in a Larue SPR-E mount. For the offset sight, I run a separate Warne 45-degree mount with a Primary Arms tube-style sight... 2MOA I think. It was a decent choice for the price, has held zero well, and I haven't needed to buy anything better - if I did it would probably be an Aimpoint T1/T2 as I like the general setup. As JJ advises, mount it as far back as possible.

I would NOT recommend the Warne RAMP mount as most low-power scopes require more eye relief than it will accommodate. I guess it would be OK for a more conventional scope like a 3-9x, but I generally prefer a separate mount for the offset sight.

1 hour ago, mveto said:

If I were putting together a open set up I would go with the Warne mount that has the built in offset mount for the red dot that way you don’t need a separate mount, Warne also sells a offset mount for red dots if you like your scope mount you already have. I would look at any red dot that has a 6moa dot, I tried a 3moa on a pcc and it was a bit harder to pick up. I feel 6moa is perfect for the distance that you would be using the offset optic for.

I might suggest skipping the ramp mount as well. Another issue I saw was that there wasnt enough clearance between the scope and the dot when both were mounted to be able to reach all the buttons, etc.

The R.A.M.P. concept is cool, by it lacks a bit in reality...

24 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

I might suggest skipping the ramp mount as well. Another issue I saw was that there wasnt enough clearance between the scope and the dot when both were mounted to be able to reach all the buttons, etc.

The R.A.M.P. concept is cool, by it lacks a bit in reality...

That’s a great point, that’s why having options is a good thing. Having real world experience goes a long way.

• 2 months later...

All of my open division rifles have 3.5 moa c more sts on the old burkett mounts.  I've tried a couple different things over the years but this seems to work best for me.  Mounting on the rear of the the receiver (closer to your eye) is the way to go.