Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy/Subsonic? or Light/Supersonic...and Why?

From an accuracy perspective, what is your preference and why:

- Heavy projective and subsonic

- Light projectile and supersonic

- Heavy and supersonic??

What's your preference and why? Please state your barrel length also.

Thanks!
/r, Jeff

I think you need to quantify a bit with regards to distance you are shooting for accuracy.  I currently prefer a subsonic load about 130pf.  The dot stays put.  I have also shot snappier loads and strived to make the dot return very fast.  Both are valid.  However, I am shooting mostly inside 25 yards for USPSA.  Accuracy isn't a real issue to achieve.

6 hours ago, longbeard said:

I think you need to quantify a bit with regards to distance you are shooting for accuracy.  I currently prefer a subsonic load about 130pf.  The dot stays put.  I have also shot snappier loads and strived to make the dot return very fast.  Both are valid.  However, I am shooting mostly inside 25 yards for USPSA.  Accuracy isn't a real issue to achieve.

Excellent question! I am looking out to 40 yards or so.  I shoot both IDPA (indoors), Steel only matches (outdoors) and USPSA (also outdoors).

If you’re talking 40 yard shots on steel, something to bear in mind is that a slow bullet can be problematic in as much as it takes longer to get to the target to provide feedback.  Ask anybody who shoots Steel Challenge if they’ve done “The Outer Limits Dance” after they’ve made it halfway to the center box before their slow bullet reaches the rear berm signaling a miss.  Yes, I know, correctly call the shots, but I don’t like to shoot anything less than 1000 fps for this reason.  Now, if you’d said max range was 25 yards, it probably wouldn’t matter— just shoot what you like. My rule of thumb is to pick a PF and develop a bullet weight that will achieve the PF at just below the speed of sound.  This way the noise is kept to a minimum (helps me to hear hits on steel) and there’s no concern about cavitation through the sound barrier.   

• 2 weeks later...

Currently using 115's after trying all of the popular weights, from 115 to 147.  The heavier bullets are softer shooting for sure, but it seems like I can run the gun faster with the higher velocity.  With that said, all of my use is in a relatively small bay with shots no more than 20-25 yards.  Barrel is 14.5" with a pinned and welded comp.

I started out with 147gr subsonic rounds.  The gun was soft shooting, but it felt sluggish.  I switched to a 124gr bullet with a PF of 130-135.  I only shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge with the PCC's, so I'm not shooting the gun at distances, but accuracy still plays an important role in load development.  It's hard to say I want a PF of (X) since your barrel and gun might not be very accurate at the PF.  I have two PCC's with different barrel lengths.  My USPSA PCC is a 13" barrel with a pinned and welded comp and my Steel Challenge PCC is a 5" pinned and welded barrel.