Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Cdp Gun

DrKyle1

Mine started off as a stock Springfield Loaded had EGW did some work to it 6 months ago and I will be adding a Scheumann barrel and new beavertail here in the next couple of weeks.

post-4942-1141269561.jpg

Edited by rubberneck

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FortyfiveShooter wrote:

"In my conversation with Dwight Van Brunt (VP Marketing) I told him that unless they were willing to donate some type of merchandise we would prefer not to hand out their catalog again this year for the 4th time. His reply was "we spend enough on advertising that we don't need you to hand out our catalog" and "they see no real benefit in donating merchandise to matches" "but we can sale you a gun at a discounted price""

After reading that, I checked to see if maybe Kimber was listed over on the USPSA site as a national Gold lavel sponsor: nope. Silver level? Nope. Stage maybe?? Nada.

Seems to me that Kimber sent ZERO product or dollars to either USPSA or IDPA.

This is important information on account of the new CDP rules as well as USPSA's "Single Stack" division set to begin on 1/1/06 - a division tailored to 1911 Single stack bushing guns.

I will do all that I can to recommend that new shooters interested in CDP or Single Stack NOT choose a Kimber but rather, choose a Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson or other sponsor's 1911 instead. Anyone else see a Kimber MIM thumb safety crack in half? I have.

Another choice might be the new Dan Wesson 1911 since it was acquired by CZ-USA and CZ-USA has a dedicated considerable resources to our sport; I understand that members of the CZ-USA team will likely shoot the Single Stack Classic (neither USPSA nor IDPA) using Dan Wesson 1911s.

The whole point of sponsorship is to promote & reward only those who choose to support our sport.

D.C. Johnson

This is important information on account of the new CDP rules as well as USPSA's "Single Stack" division set to begin on 1/1/06 - a division tailored to 1911 Single stack bushing guns.

I will do all that I can to recommend that new shooters interested in CDP or Single Stack NOT choose a Kimber but rather, choose a Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson or other sponsor's 1911 instead. Anyone else see a Kimber MIM thumb safety crack in half? I have.

Another choice might be the new Dan Wesson 1911 since it was acquired by CZ-USA and CZ-USA has a dedicated considerable resources to our sport; I understand that members of the CZ-USA team will likely shoot the Single Stack Classic (neither USPSA nor IDPA) using Dan Wesson 1911s. 

The whole point of sponsorship is to promote & reward only those who choose to support our sport.

D.C. Johnson

While you are naming names - I do believe that STI & SVI also should be noted as players in the new division as they do both support and sponsor our sport(s). For a quality firearm I believe an STI Trojan is hard to beat for bang for buck.

Why don't we see anything on prize tables from Wilson Combat?

I have seen merchandise certificates from Wilson Combat on the tables at several matches. Not guns but parts, holsters, etc. Usually in the form of a certificate for some percentage off a total order. A couple of my buddies have won these and it is a great way to stock up on magazines and spare parts.

i use a paraord p16 limited same thing i use in uspsa

has the dillion cheater magweld that has been grindoff a bit to fit in the box

bomar sites

everything else is pretty much stock except for my less than 2 lb trigger

runs great i get to use the same gun in both sports just have to whip out some 10 round mags and idpa legal gear they dont like the cr speed rigs!? :huh:

Folks, this isn't going to turn into "bash the non-sponsor" thread. Everybody has their reasons...and, we are only hearing one side of the story. And, THAT is why we don't post names on this forum. We don't need the back and forth.

Also, some firms mentioned don't always have equipment that has been well recieved by the IDPA rule book.

45shooter...if you would like to edit your sponsor list to only include those that DID make contributions, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to shoot a lightly-modded Colt '91A1, but since the new rule book came out, the only CDP-legal gun I own is a Detonics Combat Master (no grip safety). I don't place too well anymore, but it's fun.

Edit re: supporting the sport:

We've hosted the last four WA state championships, and every year we've had sponsorship (read guns on the table) from Springfield, along with a Smith & Wesson this year, and two Colts last year. Kimber is spending so much money on color magazine covers, that they don't have any marketing dollars left for sponsorship. We've also been offered discount deals by CZ.

Edited by RickB

• 1 month later...

Springfield Champion - Commander sized. Already came with the ambi controls and night sights. Shoots eveything I put through it. Wish I could find one with an alloy frame for carry.

Jerry

I just purchased a STI Trojan for my CDP gun. I shot it this weekend and it runs very good.

I changed the grip safety to a Ed Brown because I did't like the cut on the STI grip safety and added a SA mag guide. I also added a C&S trigger group that got the trigger pull to just over 2.5lbs. I have ordered a Nowlin extended mag release and that should do it for now.

It will also be my L10 gun.

post-6604-1128997032_thumb.jpg

2 series 1 Kimbers. Both have EB grip safeties and trigger work. One is a pure game gun I picked up with a welded magwell and fiber front sight. The other is my carry gun which I actually shoot more now. 18lb spring, no FLGR just a plug. I also shoot some matches with my Series 1 Kimber Compact Stainless Aluminum. I just try to kee the round count down on that blaster though.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a Springer Custom Loaded (stock). I liked it so much I wondered what the Leatham model could do so I ordered one. I thought of taking my Loaded Custom to Bob Cogan and having them rework it but decided to spend the money on another gun ie. the TGO1. I should recieve it in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...

I've only shot a few IDPA matches. My favorite gun to shoot at them is my box stock orriginal kimber(no firing pin safety) I do have to get a new barrel bushing. The original broak at a locat steel match. I use wilson and chip mcormic mags. The gun prefers the cmc mags. who am I to argue?

• 2 weeks later...

I was shooting a Para P14 but switched to my Springfield Mil-spec that has been massively upgraded. I prefer the Para but don't want to create problems or complaints about being overweight.

If starting fresh, I would probably go with an STI as it would make the weight and still give me the double stack mag I am more comfortable with.