Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Cdp Gun

DrKyle1

I am looking to switch to CDP and am interested in knowing what others are using. Most at my club are using Kimbers and Springfields. If you would not get the same gun if you had to do it all over again please explain. Also here is a great place to show off what you are proud to shoot - IDPA CDP division guns only please - lets see a pic! If you would please tell me what model and what you have had done to it.

Thanks to all who participate!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killer frame up Springer started life as a Mil Spec and is now the single sexiest skinny gun on the face of this planet. PaulW, can I get a witness?

I'll try to scrounge up a pic.

Basicly like the SV "Mall Ninja Wet Dream gun" only single stack and .45.

Serrated Flat top

Heinie

S&A

Brown Safeties

Barsto barrel

lots of serrating and checkering

Black-t'd the whole thing.

Dan Wesson Patriot here. I've replaced a few MIM parts with Brown/Wilson parts, Wilson Speed Chute, VZ grips, FO front sight from EGW, hard chromed by Virgil Tripp. Some day I hope to learn how to shoot it to its full potential!

post-3371-1123621237_thumb.jpg

My Springfield TRP has been deemed the ultimate IDPA gun for me, myself, and I.

Was so convinced that I had another built in 38 Super for ESP.

Don't shoot much IDPA today - but man do I love shooting single stack 1911's -

J

1st generation Kimber Custom, Ed Brown grip safety, Wilson ambi, Wilson full length guide rod, S&A mag well, Dawson narrow FO front site, and assorted small Dawson parts.

It's currently wearing Ahrend's ebony skip checkered grips.

Had the front strap stippled and the whole gun finished with Birdsong's Black T, which is tuff stuff...the guide rod's coating is worn but still there after about 4 years of shooting. Heck, the only shiny parts are the stainless grip screws.

-------

Edited to add pics and you can see the Black T is still holding up on to the guide rod and barrel quite well.

My CDP gun started out as a Springfield Armory loaded model..The gun was rebuilt by Bruce Gray..

It now has;

An STI slide, w/ dual cocking serrations

Bar-sto barrell, ramped

S&A mag well,

Bo-Mar rear sight with a Dawson fiber optc front,

The ambi safety, grip safety, hammer, trigger and internal parts are all Wilson.

Front strap was hand checkered at 30 LPI.

One piece guide rod.

14 lb ISMI recoil spring

Wilson shok buffs

Hogue Grips

Blued

The gun has shot 1 inch at 25 yards from a Ransom rest..I liked it so much, I just had my third one built..

I use two very early Kimber Classics - one blued and one stainless.

The blued one has a Wilson Bulletproof slide stop, Wilson Custom magwell which has been blended by me, and an STI short curved trigger. The bushing broke after many rounds so I replaced it with an Ed Brown unit.

The stainless one has a Wilson Bulletproof slide stop, Ed Brown grip safety, S&A magwell heavily blended by me and slimmed, STI gunsmith trigger cut short and flat, Heinie rear sight, Dawson front sight, and Eric's True Grip tape over lightened smooth Alumagrips.

I use Wilson 8 round magazines with the large plastic bumper pads sanded down and contoured to fit easily fit in the box and provide plenty of basepad for an easy seat. I leave the bottom surface somewhat rough to add traction.

Both guns are still running the stock trigger parts, but the stainless one has lots more rounds through it and it's 1.75 lb trigger job is showing it's age. No use replacing them until they go out.

Here is a quick pic. The Alumagrips made the gun go over the weight limit and I had to do a lot of very difficult manual lightening to the grips to get them back under weight. This is a pic of me proving to myself that it made weight. LOL. If you look closely you can see the thumb path I created to get to the mag button and the giant plastic memory bump I have to use to make an IDPA legal grip safety work.

If I was doing it again I would have to look at the quality of guns being put out now and to be honest I haven't been paying attention. Then there is always the STI/SVI guns too. Hmmmm.

post-2144-1123633685_thumb.jpg

Glock 21 w/milled in bomars, F.O. front sight, polished trigger parts, over/pretravel set screws, aluminum mag well, and a steel guide rod. I think I'm the only one in my area useing a G-21, or at least the only one I've seen so far.

CZ 97B in .45 ACP. Guiderod by "Stanley door hinge company" (yep - the modified door hinge pin - still has that pimpin' gold color plating too). Small amount of skater tape but otherwise stock & very very accurate.

Customized Dan Wesson Patriot EXP with S&A magwell, Brazos Lightning Rod front and plain black Novak rear, extended Brown mag catch, undercut trigger guard with "Cameo" serrated front strap and MSH, CMC beavertail, etc.

DW_01_800l_f.jpg

I started with a Kimber Gold Match, and I have used a Colt Special Combat and a Springfield Professional.

But since 2002 I have used my custom Nowlin in IDPA and IPSC Limited 10.

All 3 have had some common things

1. Reliable

2. Accurate

3. Good Triggers

4. Good Sights

5. Beavertails

6. S&A magwells

7. Front strap treatment (checkering or skate board tape)

The first two have always been the most important, the last thing I have ever had to worry about was , will my gun run. That is why I have stuck with my Nowlin.

post-2563-1123737342_thumb.jpg

Steve is right,

I have ran the price tables for 4 matches and Kimber has flat out refused to help with the prize table. They won't even donate hats or shirts. The most they have ever sent were catalogs, which they offered again this year for the Indiana State IDPA match. In my conversation with Dwight Van Brunt (VP Marketing) I told him that unless they were willing to donate some type of merchandise we would prefer not to hand out their catalog again this year for the 4th time. His reply was "we spend enough on advertising that we don't need you to hand out our catalog" and "they see no real benefit in donating merchandise to matches" "but we can sale you a gun at a discounted price"

I told him that I understood and thankfully his competition didn't feel the same way and that for the 4th time in a row S&W would be sending us a 1911.

While Springfield has never donated a gun, they have sent hundreds of dollars worth of shirts, hats etc. They do offer a top gun program, 40% off retail discount and every 4th gun is free.

Support those that support you

While Springfield has never donated a gun, they have sent hundreds of dollars worth of shirts, hats etc. They do offer a top gun program, 40% off retail discount and every 4th gun is free.

Wow. Seems like a good deal for match organizers.

All good info to know when making new purchases.

Sorry but don't know how to run the camera/computer.

Les Baer frame cut, front checkered, and hard chromed with shiney spots

Speedmaster slide -serrated flat top and front with some blue left in spots

Dawson front

USTS rear

S-A magwell

brown ambi safety

videki trigger

pre wilson barrel

grip safety cant remember wilson?

Not to change subjects but how many of you guys carry a spare cdp gun to a sanctioned match. What about parts?

ETA The few matches I've been to have had lots of guns on the table from springfield(1911's and xd's) with glock taking a distant second. Those were the only gun manufacturers I've seen represented.