Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight fiber optic or black?

sergeantbernie

On 6/23/2020 at 3:13 AM, WFargo said:

😁  for sure!

But I would like to stick with iron sights for as long as my eyes can manage. 

After having had to switch to fiber 15 years ago due to vision I am now back to black sights. I started in Bullseye 35 years ago and went to USPSA in 1988. I had HD Hunter's Gold build me top bifocals to my prescription last year and did not think much of it until someone asked me why I was still running FO after having vision and glasses matched to the front sight. Ordered black rod from Sevigney Performance and put in my 3 limited guns. Calling shots is becoming easier without the dot to muddy up the process. Glad to be back to regular old fashioned black post!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an old Beretta 96D Brigadier slide modded to work with my 92X Performance safety levers and had the tritium sights replaced with Beretta adjustable with a FO front. 

I used it for a while and liked the FO quite a bit at the indoor range I shoot at, and when the FO insert flew away  I missed it a lot. So, I'll definitely replace it. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, MILDOTS said:

I prefer black front sights but my eyes prefer fiber optics, getting old has its pluses and minuses.

I agree, I feel Black front sight is cleaner on target but FO is easier to see especially when moving. The problem I have is when its a tight shot my eye feels like its bouncing back and forth between the bright FO center and the black edge. It may sound odd but I've noticed it practicing. It's like one of those dang things once you see it you can't unsee it lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

I personally prefer to have green FO front post. I shoot a lot at indoor ranges and the lighting can really wash out all black because of the range's dark backstop. 

I have tried both larger (1.5mm) and small diameter (1mm) FOs and definitely prefer the small diameter; with the 1.5mm i find is too easy to misread and will cause me to misplace shots. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...