Front sight fiber optic or black?

sergeantbernie

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I can't use the blacked out  front sight...just doesn't work for me.  I started with red FO but tried the green and i like the green so much more...i can pick it up much quicker than red (unless in really low light).  

I use Green FO as it's easier to find, but even with a FO in I still sight using the black edges of the FS.  The FO is there just for up close (makes it a bit easier to track) or dim environmental conditions where the FS is hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:56 PM, pskys2 said:

I use Green FO as it's easier to find, but even with a FO in I still sight using the black edges of the FS.  The FO is there just for up close (makes it a bit easier to track) or dim environmental conditions where the FS is hard to find.

This....for me the benefit of the fiber optic is being able to use it like a dot for easier targets. As the difficulty of the shot increases I'll start to refine things and use the front and rear sights in a more traditional manner. I have to admit this is something I had to work on as I was brought up shooting bullseyes utilizing textbook sight alignment and sight picture. I started to experiment with this after taking a Stoeger class. What I've found, along with a lot of other really good guys on here, is if my trigger manipulation is on point the refinement of my sights doesn't need to be so sharp. Having worked this for a while now, I can use a target focus while using the fiber optic like a dot, out to 15 to 20-ish yards and get "A" hits. Past 20 yds, I can't guarantee A hits as well using this method, though I think the distances could be stretched out with more work.

Edited by BillGarlandJr
Additional information included in the post

With out a doubt you want a fiber optic, what Bill G Jr said is true, you don't have to have perfect sight alignment to shoot this sport especially on mid range and in targets, with some practice you will learn what you have to have to get the hits you need.  Perhaps the biggest thing for me is what color, if I use red then it is way too much like open and I tend to pull the trigger when the red dot in on the target creating a miss.  So I use green.  I also have several guns that have dawson rear fiber sights and have found I much prefer the solid black rear and only fiber in the front sight.  Best of Luck!

On 8/20/2018 at 6:52 PM, cjsmith223 said:

I swap back and forth between red and green. I usually change it about every month and a half. by changing it back and forth it seems to help me with sight focus, Draws my attention into the front sight. I struggle focusing on my front sight when i need to so this helps. 

This was taught to me from a guy that’s been in the game for a couple of decades and has trained with some of the best in the sport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Each sight has it advantages  all black you focus on the edge of the sight easier, where the fiber optic you will pick up the signs slightly faster but won't be as accurate . i have had several fiber optic rods break in match and since i use the same gun overseas as for matches i won't go back to fiber optics.  Reliable equipment is a big factor  for me. With that being said everyone is different try them all and actually make a honest assessment with a set course of fire and time , But remember giver yourself the same amount of time of practice for each.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling with this a bit as well....

I've been a bullseye shooter since I was sixteen years old. I'm 42 now. (and now shoot IPSC only). 

So on top of the fact that I was used to all black sights, we have the addition that here in the Netherlands we almost exclusively shoot indoors....

Still almost all practical shooters use black rear and fiber front.... 

But indoors... you run from one position where you have no overhead light to another position with a light directly above, to another position with another lights source at a different angle...

So ... your sight picture changes all the time... from a bright fiber to a completely dull fiber......  to something in between....

I can't help but think this is not beneficial.....

I have shot limited with all black sights and to be honest... that worked fine for me... 

But due to 'peer pressure' 😁 I am now also using a red fiber front sight..... been using it for about a year and I don't feel it's helping me....

What do you guys think?  We are used to well-lit targets indoors. So all-black sights give a very crisp sight picture on a well-lit target / plate / popper. 

The fiber does little to nothing indoors, in my opinion.... 

Edited by WFargo

10 hours ago, WFargo said:

I'm struggling with this a bit as well....

I've been a bullseye shooter since I was sixteen years old. I'm 42 now. (and now shoot IPSC only). 

So on top of the fact that I was used to all black sights, we have the addition that here in the Netherlands we almost exclusively shoot indoors....

Still almost all practical shooters use black rear and fiber front.... 

But indoors... you run from one position where you have no overhead light to another position with a light directly above, to another position with another lights source at a different angle...

So ... your sight picture changes all the time... from a bright fiber to a completely dull fiber......  to something in between....

I can't help but think this is not beneficial.....

I have shot limited with all black sights and to be honest... that worked fine for me... 

But due to 'peer pressure' 😁 I am now also using a red fiber front sight..... been using it for about a year and I don't feel it's helping me....

What do you guys think?  We are used to well-lit targets indoors. So all-black sights give a very crisp sight picture on a well-lit target / plate / popper. 

I think this solves all the problems

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_20180220_121942509.jpg

On 6/22/2020 at 11:49 AM, WFargo said:

I shoot a lot indoors too and I think that with well-lit targets and varying light where you shoot, it is even more valuable to have a fiber optic front sight. I generally have an easier time to focus on the FO sight, the light and contrast helps me a lot. When the targets are well lit it actually makes it harder for me to focus on the sight - especially if it is black, and even more so if there is poor light above/behind the shooting position. 

With good lightning above and behind me, so the back of the front sight gets lit up, I can manage with a black front sight. But in poor light, as is often the case, the FO helps.