Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paint coming off +7 Nordic extension near muzzle

AFP2602

Long time listener, new to 3 gun. 

I finally went for it this week and bought an M2. It's the older version of their 3 gun model with a 21" barrel, but looks like it was never fired so I'm treating it as if it's new. Moved my trusty +7 extension over from the shotgun I was using previously and it now sticks past the barrel a few inches. 

Took it to the range to check zero on slugs and by the time I was done the paint on the extension has been blasted off right below the muzzle. I'm concerned that this means the integrity of the tube of the tube has been compromised.

Two questions:

-Is this normal or did I mess something up and need to get a new, shorter extension? I was shooting some pretty hot slugs - 1600 fps and had the Improved Cylinder choke in.  

-Can I repaint the extension?

IMG_0591.jpg

Yup, normal. My tube after 8000+ rounds has some erosion that may eventually be a problem but there's no avoiding it.

You certainly can repaint the tube but I'm not sure why you would, it'll look the same after a couple boxes of ammo.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I wrap electrical tape over the portion of my Nordic tubes that extend past the muzzle.  I have never had a hole "burn" thru the tape and it has stood up to high round shotgun stages at MGM Ironman and RM3G.  Maybe I have some really tough tape!

I re-tape about once per year, when the edges get a tad frayed, (perhaps 1,500 rounds per shotgun).  When I remove the tape, I find a little adhesive residue, but it cleans up easily (easier than the lead that used to plate out there) and the finish on the tube looks like new.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sigh!!!! It isn't "Paint coming off" it is a plateing of carbon/ plasma/lead being deposited on the tube surface from the muzzle blast. Soak the damn thing in Kroil, or Carbon cutter and the tube will be " restored" to perfect condition. This is an absutely NOTHING thing, and has nothing to do with composition of the tube! The tube could be poly carbinate! Wouldn't matter...... Has nothing to do with o do with errosion!!!!

After about 1000 rounds it will build up into a "carbon wart" and at roughly 4000-5000 rounds it will fall off and you get to start over. Round counts are estimate of course depending on what shells you're shooting. 

These are tools meant to be thrown in barrels, bonked into tree branches and shot for tens of thousands of rounds. What's really fun is when you get a gussied up painted gun and after 2 months play "count the scratches." I hear some folks don't bother with the fancy paint and instead let developing artists practice their craft with spray paint 

On 8/31/2018 at 12:24 AM, kurtm said:

Sigh!!!! It isn't "Paint coming off" it is a plateing of carbon/ plasma/lead being deposited on the tube surface from the muzzle blast. Soak the damn thing in Kroil, or Carbon cutter and the tube will be " restored" to perfect condition. This is an absutely NOTHING thing, and has nothing to do with composition of the tube! The tube could be poly carbinate! Wouldn't matter...... Has nothing to do with o do with errosion!!!!

https://imgur.com/a/pkC16CN

Mine most definitely has erosion starting. If I clean it up and put a straight edge on the tube it's clearly visible.

ETA: I hate trying to posting pics here....

Edited by TonytheTiger

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 1:04 PM, TonytheTiger said:

https://imgur.com/a/pkC16CN

Mine most definitely has erosion starting. If I clean it up and put a straight edge on the tube it's clearly visible.

ETA: I hate trying to posting pics here....

It definitely will start to erode with enough use, but as you mentioned, it takes a lot of shooting to get there.