Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What slide length for CO... 34? 17? 19?

Tattoo

Hey all ,

Just curious what what most guys are running for CO?  I know the 19 is the ninja choice of “Operators” for a dot gun...but what do most competition shooters pick?  I am trying to put together a CO gun and appreciate the input.

T

I use a 34, but I feel I shoot it better. I started with a 17. I don’t think I’d use a 19, IMO it’s hard to do the gun handling as well with the smaller frame, and it would feel out of balance with a 140MM mag.

1 hour ago, HoMiE said:

17 swings faster than a 34. Wouldn’t run a 19 just for the shorter grip but might be different with the 19x now available. 

I agree with you on the full sized grip.  I was gunna do a 34, but I hear ya on the 17.  But that 19x concept is interesting.  Does the 19 slide provide a benefit with the full size frame?

T

1 hour ago, Tattoo said:

I agree with you on the full sized grip.  I was gunna do a 34, but I hear ya on the 17.  But that 19x concept is interesting.  Does the 19 slide provide a benefit with the full size frame?

T

I don’t think so but not having shot one can’t say for sure. I do think the grip of the 19x with the tang in front may cause some problems during reloads. 

Edited by HoMiE
Grammar

Don’t wast money on a 19x, get a 17. A good buddy of mine runs one. He told me the 17 just feels better than the 34 with an optic mounted.

Do you want a dual purpose production and CO gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

Do you want a dual purpose production and CO gun?

Jack of all trades, master of none...

I have a multipurpose gun: the Walther Q5 which ships with adapter plates like a Glock MOS. I’ve shot 2 matches in CO with the Q and a DPP optic.

If you’re going to be switching back and forth between CO and Production, you need the optic mounted lower than that. Otherwise it messes up your index when your dot is so high above the location of the irons.

In order to more easily switch back to my Q5 in Production, I’ve got a 4” PPQ slide on it’s way to a  gunsmith to get the dot milled down into the slide. I think I have him convinced to mill it down so low that the underside of the optic becomes the top of the now-exposed firing pin channel. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

We have been shooting Glocks in competition for about 19 years now.  I do not have a dot gun personally.  We run mostly 34's and I do believe they are more accurate than the 17's (I started with those).  Whatever your looking at the new Gen 5's are more accurate than the other generations in my limited experience.  It is my understanding that they are engineered to hold  a 3" group at 50 yards from a machine rest.  If it were me I would go with a Gen 5 34.  I shoot mostly 3 gun and mostly see 34's in use if folks are running a Glock.  We just happened to buy a Gen 5 34 and its really our most accurate Glock.

The problem with the 19x is you lose velocity...might be an issue trying to make power factor.  I run a 34 in Production and 17 in CO...same ammo makes 135 PF in PD and 130 in CO...

I'm probably gonna be setting up a Glock for CO. It'll probably be a 34.  I doubt a 17 is any better or worse.  So, if they're cheaper then I'd say go with that. I'm probably gonna choose a 34 just so I can get the same velocity between two guns in case I want to shoot prod. Don't want to have to worry about being 50fps slower. And I already have a 34. So...... 

I'm not buying the 17 is faster to swing. At least not enough to really verify. Though, if you think it is, that's all that matters. Same with the gen5 being more accurate....  I've not shot one but from what I understand, they just went to standard rifling.  But I'm worng a lot so,....  

@B_RAD you forgot the other side of the slide length difference.  You can get 5/8” closer to walls and ports (and thus, to the targets) with a G17!

That’s an immense advantage that people frequently overlook. I know I’m always going to set up .675” closer to the target if I can.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

59 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@B_RAD you forgot the other side of the slide length difference.  You can get 5/8” closer to walls and ports (and thus, to the targets) with a G17!

That’s an immense advantage that people frequently overlook. I know I’m always going to set up .675” closer to the target if I can.

I forgot. Now I'll win nats!  

Thanks for the input from all.  I have always shot a Gen 3 Glock 34 for forever in Production.  I ordered up a Gen 5 34 for the MOS feature as I am not sold on what dot I want.  Though the MOS seems to have its own issues.  I really just wondered if maybe I was missing something with CO and that’s why I asked.  I can get a 17 for $158 less than the 34, but no MOS.  After I play with dots I totally agree that milling a slide to get the dot as low as possible seems advantageous.  

T

And you cannot mill a gun as low or as securely with an adapter plate style weapon as with a standard slide.

The notch is usually .001” shorter than the length of the optic to provide an interference fit which keeps much of the strain off the screws.

And if you are working with a standard slide you can often cut slightly deeper.

Slide length doesn't matte with a dot, it's target focused. But you want a full sized frame for control. G17 or G34. You can always put a 3.5lb connector and G21 OEM "extended mag release" on a G17. I run a G17 for CO.

G34.

DPP.

Send it to someone for front serrations and optic cut. 

Silicon carbide the grip.

Add a tungsten GR.

Shoot it a lot. 

Or, get a 17 if you want. It won’t make a difference.  Neither one will affect your match performance one way or the other.  “Swing speed” is a non issue (even a 34 is lighter than 90% of guns in USPSA). You can learn to shoot either option effectively. 

Dont get a 19 or 19x, that’s silly. 

Edited by Ssanders224

15 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Dont get a 19 or 19x, that’s silly. 

I never ever had any intention.  I just always thought it funny since the G19 is the most often seen red dot gun with the high speed low drag SF crowd......

T

I am silly. I've a 19x that has a slide milled for Unity Atom, and I am getting another slide directly milled for a DPP.  I've no desire to switch to 34.

9 hours ago, YVK said:

I am silly. I've a 19x that has a slide milled for Unity Atom, and I am getting another slide directly milled for a DPP.  I've no desire to switch to 34.

Well you are probably the minority.  But if it works for you then right on!   

T

Edited by Tattoo