Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PD Palm Swell Grips

DKnoch

I have Henning grips on my Stock 2 and I'd like something a bit thicker and more aggressive to help get a consistent strong weak hand grip. The Palm Swell grips from PD look like a good option. Anyone have pros or cons for them? Are they aggressive on the texture? If not I could put some silicon carbide on I guess

The "version 2" SSI scales are really grippy and fit my large hands well
I haven't tried any others to compare though. I don't think they could have more grip without drawing blood
I'd consider those as well. The appealing thing about the PD Palm swells from what I'm thinking, is it's wide lower, but thinner near the mag release. Are the scales 2.0 similar or are they wide all the way up?

I've got PD's on my guns & have probably sold a few from people seeing them and trying them at the range. 

For about $40 shipped they are not a bad gamble I don't think, you could probably resell them used here for $25 shipped so even if you hated them the loss would not be life changing. 

I love them. They fit my hand in all the right places. They are not grippy enough. I added skateboard tape. I did remove material around the mag release.

I've tried many other grips and keep going back to the PS. I have medium hands.

I watched a video comparing the scales vs the Palm Swells after my previous post. Scales 2.0 look very nice, but are a bit pricey compared to PD grips. If scales are way better than I'll spend the extra, but I'm not sure if they are. I think I'll try Palm swells and will probably cover with in grit. May remove material around mag release too, thanks for that tip

I have them on two LimPros, I sanded the stock texture off and put stairtape from homdepo on them. Easy to clean handgrip off and last along time. The price is right and they can altered in shape before applying griptape.

Anyone cut the PD Palmswells for a magwell? Curious how it would fit?
A guy I shoot matches with did it for his stock 3 that had a magwell. It seemed to work good. I know one of his Palm Swell grip panels cracked, but he used them for a while

9 hours ago, DKnoch said:

I think I'll try Palm swells and will probably cover with in grit. May remove material around mag release too, thanks for that tip

I have run scales 2, Henning, and PD palmswells.

The scales are the thinnest at the mag release up top. The bottom is 1/3 of the way between the Henning and PDs.

My gut says you’ll be happiest with the Patriot grips. Plan in advance to hit them with a belt sander til you get what you like, then either griptape them or do epoxy & silicon carbide grit.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:31 AM, DKnoch said:

I watched a video comparing the scales vs the Palm Swells after my previous post. Scales 2.0 look very nice, but are a bit pricey compared to PD grips. If scales are way better than I'll spend the extra, but I'm not sure if they are. I think I'll try Palm swells and will probably cover with in grit. May remove material around mag release too, thanks for that tip

The holes in the scales created a weird dichotomy; tons of grip from hand fat going into the holes but serious discomfort from aforementioned hand fat. Shape was nice but uncomfortable in use.

32 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

For the record, I never found the scales slightly uncomfortable in the way @SCTaylor said.

Probably a highly individual thing.

It was the tips of my fingers, pinkie and ring finger specifically.  Pressing them so hard into the hole was painful. 

21 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

It was the tips of my fingers, pinkie and ring finger specifically.  Pressing them so hard into the hole was painful. 

When I was trying some out I bought rubber grommets at the hardware store & put them in a couple key spots. Didn't end up liking the grip overall but the grommet thing seemed to work. 

I have the Hennings and the PD Palm Swells.  I have XXL hands and thought the Palm Swells would work best for me but I found that the countour was to much for me and I couldn't get as good as a grip on the gun as I could with the Henning Grips.  I would always go with Hennings after testing them both out for my hands.  Everyone is different though.

• 2 weeks later...

After live fire today for first time with PD Palm Swells on, the gun is much easier to get a solid weak hand grip on. Didn't even need progrip today, so I'm very happy with their grips.
Gun was also setting off high primers that I tossed in practice box. Got my RHT holster in too this week. Had to alter it next to mag release so it wouldn't engage it. But now it works great too