Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Offset Optics Mount

After struggling a bit to do a hard left lean around a corner with a PCC, I have decided to get:

1)  An Offset Optic Mount

2)  An Offset Optic

Does anyone have suggestions on which work best?

Please--no debates on the efficacy of offset optics.  I am just looking for good product recommendations and the reasons people like these products.

I don't know if it will work the best, but I have used a Burris Fastfire 3 (both 3 MOA and 8 MOA) on a Burkett 45 degree offset mount located just behind my C-more Railway.

That's the only combination I've tried.

Also, a Crimson Trace green laser mounted just in front of the C-more has proven handy on some hard leans, both to the left, right, and over a somewhat high wall.

I've found that I prefer the 8 MOA dot.  Easier to pickup in our Texas sun.

The 3 MOA dot was a bit of an experiment.  The thought was it would come in handy for those longer tight shots that the 6 - 8 MOA dot on the Railway was just a little too big for.  It works but harder for me to pick up the dot and I just don't see that many stages where it is needed.

The reason I mentioned the laser is I found I use it more often than the offset dots.   For the stages at our local matches, it works better.

I’ve seen a couple of shooters run a 45 degree mounted optic off an MLOK handguard slot.  I think that’s a way I’m considering because my main mounting space is spoken for.  

I also have a CT green laser but it has limited use in full sun conditions.

10 hours ago, Garmil said:

I like the 6 moa Vortex Razor on the Vortex 45 mount no rail just a direct mount.

This is what I am leaning toward right now.  Do you like it?  Bright enough?  Mount puts the optic in the right place?

I am using a Warne 45 degree offset mount.  I chose that one because some offset mounts situate the offset rail above the top rail.  The Warne mount extends it below the top rail, which  lined up better for me.

5 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:

This is what I am leaning toward right now.  Do you like it?  Bright enough?  Mount puts the optic in the right place?

Love it. Plenty bright and perfect location for me.

4 hours ago, Startingover said:

This is a very interesting idea.

I guess it would mostly depend on how soild your handguard mounting is.

For me, mounting directly to my handguard would be too low to get a good sight picture.  But with the variety of handguard diameters, that would probably vary with the handguard.

12 hours ago, jlo86cj said:

I mounted my Railway on an ADM quick release mount. This gives enough room under the rear of it to mount a JP offset mount with an RTS2 on it. Works great. 175a830a2e3059dbfb99d11929cdf43d.jpgd97b8b90568cf71408ac29a588389e3b.jpg

Always glad to see another lefty!

17 hours ago, jlo86cj said:

I mounted my Railway on an ADM quick release mount. This gives enough room under the rear of it to mount a JP offset mount with an RTS2 on it. Works great. 175a830a2e3059dbfb99d11929cdf43d.jpgd97b8b90568cf71408ac29a588389e3b.jpg

Maybe I’m missing something but what’s the benefit of running this setup??

1 hour ago, Red_Dot said:

Maybe I’m missing something but what’s the benefit of running this setup??

I am new to PCC myself, but the answer is hard leans around barricades.

If you are right handed, try learning to the left around a barricade.  See how far you can see to the right with your primary optic on top of the gun.  Now roll the gun to the right (to expose the offset optic that you don't have) and see how much further to the right you can see.  You get a little further around the barricade.

It seems like an expensive solution to a rare problem.  But my club was previously dominated by Open shooters who like to give PCC shooters a hard time when they design stages.  Big left leans are pretty common now.  We see them every match.

Alternatively, it is a back up optic and can also be set up for a different zero (although I won't go that route) than your primary optic.

FInally, if you have to go prone and your big magazine gets in the way, you can roll your rifle over and get a little lower in the prone position.

Edited by Nemesis Lead
20 hours ago, JAFO said:

For me, mounting directly to my handguard would be too low to get a good sight picture.  But with the variety of handguard diameters, that would probably vary with the handguard.

You are right about that, I guess you would probably want a small piece of rail mounted to the handguard first anyway.

4 hours ago, Startingover said:

You are right about that, I guess you would probably want a small piece of rail mounted to the handguard first anyway.

Also, since I run my primary to the rear of the receiver, I run my offset just forward of the ejection port, mounted at the front of the receiver.  If I had my primary at the front, I'd have to run the offset out farther.  If I went out far enough, I could find an angle that could give me a decent sight picture so a small piece of rail on the handguard could work.