Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b - Primer magazine not feeding primers into slide

For some reason my 550b suddenly stopped dropping primers out of the magazine into the primer slide. If I manually pull back on slide with my hand it will drop them into the seating cup OK but not on it's own. I have tried cleaning all the parts and sprinkled powdered graphite on the platform the primer slide travels on to no avail (this usually solves the problem). DIllon is telling me it's probably my operating arm but I haven't changed anything and it's worked fine for quite a while until all of a sudden. I am wondering if my spring that operates the primer slide is wearing out. I hate to start bending the operating arm as I have seen suggested before since I haven't changed anything and it was working OK until a few days ago.

Any ideas

For some reason my 550b suddenly stopped dropping primers out of the magazine into the primer slide. If I manually pull back on slide with my hand it will drop them into the seating cup OK but not on it's own. I have tried cleaning all the parts and sprinkled powdered graphite on the platform the primer slide travels on to no avail (this usually solves the problem). DIllon is telling me it's probably my operating arm but I haven't changed anything and it's worked fine for quite a while until all of a sudden. I am wondering if my spring that operates the primer slide is wearing out. I hate to start bending the operating arm as I have seen suggested before since I haven't changed anything and it was working OK until a few days ago.

Any ideas

Replace the tip on the primer magazine. Ensure the thumb “nut” at top of the magazine is snug not tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

Any ideas

Bend it. Also tear it apart and check for debris under the moving parts

Edited by Sarge

I have seen a loose primer act like that.  Clean out the system and put on a new orifice.

I had a lot of trouble with primer feed because my primer cup height was not right.  There is a spec in the literature. 

I turns out I had an extra primer slide laying around that had seldom been used. I switched to that one and it solved my problem. Does anyone ever lube the primer seating cup spring? If so, what with.

For me, never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No lube on the spring or primer slide. Do lightly grease the shot end of the primer slide operating rod where it inserts into the alloy bracket that is clamped around the primer shield.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:44 PM, dillon said:

No lube on the spring or primer slide. Do lightly grease the shot end of the primer slide operating rod where it inserts into the alloy bracket that is clamped around the primer shield.

What type of maintenance would you suggest on the primer slide if I start having this problem again? There obviously was an issue with my primer slide since swapping it out for a less used one took care of the problem.

Periodically wipe off the sides and bottom of the primer slide using a paper towel and solvent, do the same to the primer slide bearing.

Spent primer residue can get imbedded in the surfaces, which causes friction.  Every 2500-3000 rounds or so, clean it, and no lube on

the sliding surfaces.

What type of maintenance would you suggest on the primer slide if I start having this problem again? There obviously was an issue with my primer slide since swapping it out for a less used one took care of the problem.

I periodically remove the primer assembly and clean throughly with mineral sprits. Also the primer arm and the plate on which the arm slides. Also, ensure the plate is smooth. Buffing with felt pad if rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/27/2018 at 10:23 AM, dillon said:

Periodically wipe off the sides and bottom of the primer slide using a paper towel and solvent, do the same to the primer slide bearing.

Spent primer residue can get imbedded in the surfaces, which causes friction.  Every 2500-3000 rounds or so, clean it, and no lube on

the sliding surfaces.

Do you think it would be OK to scrub the primer slide and  primer slide bearing with very fine sandpaper

57 minutes ago, GregInAtl said:

Do you think it would be OK to scrub the primer slide and  primer slide bearing with very fine sandpaper

It seems that would eventually remove the Teflon or whatever they are treated with?

23 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

It seems that would eventually remove the Teflon or whatever they are treated with?

Sarge is spot on there is a reason why Dillon recommended just doing the following:

On 6/27/2018 at 7:23 AM, dillon said:

the sliding surfaces.

I would do that.

I use DuPont Teflon Dry Lube in an aerosol can.  

I clean the heck out of the surfaces with alcohol and a nylon tooth brush, wipe it dry with a shop rag.

Then spray the dry lube on and wipe it down with a clean cloth so there is no residue, just a very thin dry film you can’t see, just feel.

Kind of like applying a wax and buffing it.  

i don’t see any more dirt/grit attraction compared to nothing being used.  

My cleaning cycle is about 1000-1200 rounds working with deprimed processed brass that has been wet tumbled with SS pins.

i deprime and do trimming case prep with my 650 and a tool head with an RT1200 on it.  

I recently bought two of these for my 550’s and so far, they seem to work well.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-550B-Primer-Track-Bearing-Plate-W-Ball-Bearing/231783630462?epid=1785082951&hash=item35f761867e:g:3C0AAOSwv0tVQX3I

i got less than a thousand rounds on them, they get the same dry lube treatment as the factory slide plate got.  

I’m curious to see how it performs after I put 10-20,000 rounds through the press.  

Edited by Currently