Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I would personally go the AR9 route. For just a bit more than the 9mm conversion kits run, you can build yourself a pretty respectable AR9. If you run a Glock mag lower, you'll get the advantage of Glock mags and the extensions that have been coming out for the Glock PCC mags. The Tavor may be more compact, but the reloads and the mag options would be more than enough for me to make the decision to run an AR9. 

10 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Anyone use a 9mm tavor for PCC? I have a tavor and have considered getting the conversion kit for 9mm.  I've also considered just getting an ar style PCC.  Let me know what your thoughts are

Check out this thread on the Tavor:  https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/244891-no-love-for-the-tavor-x95-in-9mm/?tab=comments#comment-2727931

If your goal is to have fun and stand out, get the 9mm tavor. If your goal is to be the fastest pcc shooter around then go a different route. i want you to choose the former as it is definitely the most original.

1 hour ago, BartCarter said:

Do you want to be a better shooter with the Tavor?  That would be one of my considerations.  That is one of the reasons why I choose an AR platform.  Also the reasons I shoot off-the-shelf ammo and "low capacity" mags.

I probably should concentrate on the ar if this would be my reasoning 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

If your goal is to have fun and stand out, get the 9mm tavor. If your goal is to be the fastest pcc shooter around then go a different route. i want you to choose the former as it is definitely the most original.

Why do you think that the Tavor is slower than other options?

2 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

I would personally go the AR9 route. For just a bit more than the 9mm conversion kits run, you can build yourself a pretty respectable AR9. If you run a Glock mag lower, you'll get the advantage of Glock mags and the extensions that have been coming out for the Glock PCC mags. The Tavor may be more compact, but the reloads and the mag options would be more than enough for me to make the decision to run an AR9. 

Some valid points for sure 

4 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I replaced the trigger with a Geissle trigger and it is better than my Lantac trigger in my ar 

I was going to put that as a con for the Tavor, but I figured you had probably already replaced the trigger. 

I say that looking at the non shooting aspects of shooting pcc in uspsa. The loading, reloading, running, balance and such of the gun. I have only shot a 9mm Tavor at a casual pace at an indoor range. The feel and balance of it just didn't make me instantly feel like I could run and do "things" with it quickly in a uspsa style match. Now is that from fact or unfamiliarity I can't entirely say. I would like to see you try it though, sincerely.

I mean, there is a guy here in AR who made pcc GM with a KelTec so yeah....... Put enough effort and attention into any problem and you probably will solve it.

Our club had a guy that used a Tavor at our carbine matches. He also used the 9mm conversion as well. After several matches he switched over to ARs and when PCC launched he bought an MPX.

So although he had a rifle at home that shot both .223 and 9mm, he chose to spend the money on buying two separate rifles and never took the tavor out again. And yes, he did have the trigger upgrade. 

7 hours ago, v1911 said:

Our club had a guy that used a Tavor at our carbine matches. He also used the 9mm conversion as well. After several matches he switched over to ARs and when PCC launched he bought an MPX.

So although he had a rifle at home that shot both .223 and 9mm, he chose to spend the money on buying two separate rifles and never took the tavor out again. And yes, he did have the trigger upgrade. 

Did he ever say why he went away from the Tavor? Maybe he is just a guy that likes to buy new guns or maybe he had a valid reason for going away from it?

There have been 2 club members to own a tavor. Neither of them use it anymore and have moved to ARs.

They may not have put in the time behind the trigger but I recall there being a complaint about the extreme hold over that the bull pup design demands. That and reloads suck.  

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Isn't "likes to buy new guns" a Valid Reason ?    ?

Just kidding - I know what you mean.    :)

It is a very valid reason.  I was just wondering if the tavor sucks for PCC.  Unfortunately I cannot shoot one and see how it works and before I spend the money on the kit, I'd like to research it.  If going the AR9 route is what I need to do, I can.  I like my tavor but as I am playing the game I am learning that the gear won't win you matches, but you can be disadvantaged by the gear.

8 hours ago, v1911 said:

There have been 2 club members to own a tavor. Neither of them use it anymore and have moved to ARs.

They may not have put in the time behind the trigger but I recall there being a complaint about the extreme hold over that the bull pup design demands. That and reloads suck.  

By extreme holdover do you mean the offset for the height over bore?  I guess I am not understanding what you mean.  Also, are reloads with a pistol caliber harder than with a rifle?  While the reloads in my tavor are different in the AK or AR, I do not think that they suck.  I started out with an AK and so I could say that reloads in my AR suck because they are different than my AK and I have thousands more reps of reloading my AK than AR.  If it is much worse with the pistol than with Rifle magazines, that makes sense.