Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags?

I’m doig the Red Stitch Outlaw Steel Match in WV. I can’t wait... this’ll be my first PCC Match and first time doing some traveling for a match. So I have 4 mags for my MPX, 30rders with the TTI Extensions. Will that be enough to get me through the match?

Yep, it's all about stage round count. I like to be able to ditch half my mags if they fail and still have enough left to shoot a stage.

IE in Prod I need 6 mags to do a stage at most. So I take 9 mags with me. If it takes you two 40rnd mags not matter what to make sure you finish a stage I'd feel safe taking 4.

Hey guys I’m not sure of the round count per stages. While I’m not Jerry Miculek, I ain’t Mr Magoo either lol. This will be the furtherest match from home for me. And I ordered a MPX Spare Parts Kit from ILWT

The mags work great no problems as of yet

My usual loadout, unless it's something like a short qualifier, is 57rd MBX Mega in the gun, 33rd Glock or 41rd TF on the front of my belt as my backup/reload mag, and 2 or 3 22rd pistol mags with TTI extensions for my SHTF backups.  With the 57rd mag I rarely have to reload, but I'm shooting the Rocky Mountain 300 in two weeks and every stage is a minimum of 60rds, so I've actually had to practice reloads.

For my MPX  if it is a standard 32 round or less COF I have a 40  rounder in the gun and 2 spare 24 rounders on my belt.. depending on the COF  I might change that to:

• 34 rounder and a 24 rounder on the belt
  • Unloaded start mags on belt = 2 40's down loaded to 38

I have 8ea 40's 2 ea 34's and 2ea 24's  use and reload as needed.. I like being able to not have to top off or clean a mag for the next stage

I must be playing on the edge then. For a standard 32 round uspsa course I start with 40 in the gun and a single 30 down loaded to 28 on my belt. Worst comes to worse and I have to dump mag number one without a single shot fired from it I'll single shot some targets to get a miss but no fte.

My JP runs Glock mags.  I have 2 31 rounders with the TFF 41 round extensions.  I also have 3 17 round mags with Dawson 5 round base plates.  I've shot several USPSA matches including 1 Monster match which required 385 rounds and a high round count steel match.  No issues with my mags.  I rarely have to reload except for the monster match which had one 60 round stage.

If I know I will have to make a reload. I will use a 17 with the Dawson extension 1st  then reload with

a 31 with the Taylor, or a 17 with a Taylor extension.  I do not like to drop the Taylor Free Lance on the ground if possible.

match description says: Ten stages. Round count: starts at 310 but that all depends on accuracy!

so roughly 31 targets per stage but a lot of us don't go one for one.  so even in a target-heavy stage, and lotsa misses, yeah four super big sticks should get anyone thru any of the stages.  i will be bringing 2x the minimum, again a miss or two or ten, reshoot, etc.

i will be working and shooting the match, see you there!

On 5/23/2018 at 5:18 PM, JAFO said:

You might want to have a smaller mag or two for any mandatory reload stages.  YMMV, but I personally don't like reloading on the clock with a 40+ rd mag.

Using a beer-can grip and seating the magazine with the rifle shouldered, I find 30rd colt magazine is vastly easier to load than a shorter 20rd mag.

If you drop the gun and roll it over, and prefer to load the mags with an index-finger-down-front grip, then I can see the preference for shorter mags.

My experimentation here is based upon watching what the national champ does:

exp

Edited by MemphisMechanic