Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8X vs Viper PST GEN II 1-6X?

I have a opportunity to get a good deal on a Vortex optic of my choice.  Right now I'm running a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4X and like everything about it except the fact that it isn't 1X at the low end.  I'm thinking of giving the Strike Eagle 1-8X or the Viper PST Gen II 1-6X a try - which one would you go with for 3gun?  Is the Viper worth twice the price, and if so, which reticle (MRAD or MOA) is preferred?

Edited by TalkingMonkey
Title

15 minutes ago, AustinWolv said:

The Viper GenII has much better glass than the Strike Eagle.  The dot is daylight bright.  Much better scope than the Strike Eagle IMO.

Thanks for the feedback.  Am I right to assume then that the Strike Eagle's dot is not daylight bright?  Is the Viper a true 1X?

Edited by TalkingMonkey

1 hour ago, AustinWolv said:

The Viper GenII has much better glass than the Strike Eagle.  The dot is daylight bright.  Much better scope than the Strike Eagle IMO.

This, I have a Viper PST Gen II and had the Strike Eagle. Also have a Vortex Razor 1x6. Very close to the Razor in quality & glass. Excellent scope for the money. Recommend it highly.

gerritm

5 hours ago, gerritm said:

I have a Viper PST Gen II, Strike Eagle and a Vortex Razor 1x6. Very close to the Razor in quality & glass

If the Viper is as good as the Razor in quality and glass, 

what is the Viper deficient in ?   What is worse than the Razor ?

The Razor has a much bigger, more forgiving eyebox and still better glass.  The Genii PST isn't far behind, but still thought the Razor clarity was a bit better at the high mag.   

You have to stay much more aligned on the PST, and you are more in the tube than the Razor, which feels like the body disappears.

50 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If the Viper is as good as the Razor in quality and glass, 

what is the Viper deficient in ?   What is worse than the Razor ?

47 minutes ago, AustinWolv said:

The Razor has a much bigger, more forgiving eyebox and still better glass.  The Genii PST isn't far behind, but still thought the Razor clarity was a bit better at the high mag.   

You have to stay much more aligned on the PST, and you are more in the tube than the Razor, which feels like the body disappears.

Agree with this assessment completely. That being said, Viper is head and shoulders above the strike eagle.

I’m not trying to thread jack this, but did not want to start a whole new thread.  Was wondering how guys would compare the pst gen ii to the primary arms 1-6.  I have noticed that the outer edges of the pa almost seems blurry when shooting on 1x with both eyes open.  Is it just me and my eyes. 

8 hours ago, AustinWolv said:

Agree.

I also have a Burris XTR 1x8 to compare. The PST other than slightly less power is very close. Really like the PST reticle & dot is super bright. Info on holds is on Strelok.

The HD glass in the Razor is what gives it the edge over the PST & Burris, reticle & dot are the same, also the increase in cost. $1200 against about $600 for the PST.

gerritm

I just got a PST. When I went to zero it, a friend brought his SE to zero.

I'd rather have less mag and better glass of the PST. It is much much better. SE is great for the money. But the PST is nicer, and I prefer the reticle. I feel like the SE reticle is too clunky, has stadia that are too thick, and when you need the illumination, the whole reticle lights up and bleed to much light.

I have a Steiner 1-4x24 on my smaller SBR, and it replaced the SE 1-6x24. I feel like the PST is very much like the Steiner but with the added 2x. Just , my opinion, and I am no expert.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Davidp1911 said:

Strike Eagle is the best value

Yes it is a value.  The only issue with the razor is the weight.  I have the Strike Eagle.  The Razor is hands down far superior.  For anyone on a budget the Strike Eagle is a good choice, but the op stated that he has an opportunity to get a vortex at a good price.  Go with the Razor and don't look back.

The way I've had it explained to me is the higher magnification gen II pst is that it is on par with the gen I razor. Since there is no 1-6 gen I Razor I would say that the gen II pst is a solid improvement over the gen I pst especially the glass.

Edited by wally247

I had the PST Gen II and my buddy has the PA 1-6. 

Glass quality and eye relief are better than the PA by far.

However, you have to make a choice between having a BDC or a MOA/MIL optic. If you cant remember holdovers or dont understand, MOA/MILs, (just learn) than maybe a BDC would be the best under the clock. Just food for thought.