Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

19 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Any idea why ?   On paper, the .40 does seem to have some superior features.

Recent studies of most of the current self defense ammo, including the Speer Gold Dot we use, show very little ballistic damage difference between the 3 major calibers. The 9mm also offers a greater ammo capacity. As others have said, most officers shoot the 9mm much better than the .40. A lot of it is psychological, but some of it is due to the harsher recoil impulse of the .40. I always disliked that about the .40 and switched to a 9mm a couple of years ago. Plus I have a few more rounds of 9mm with the 3 extra mags I carry on my belt.

Edited by dthomas1003

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son-in-law is a LEO and has carried a 9mm, .40 and .45 over the years.

I remember once he had to take down a rampaging bull (1,000 lbs) and I thought

a .40 would be more useful for such a task.

Of course, he always has a .223 in the car with him, now, so I guess it doesn't much matter.

He showed me a body cam video of his last "shoot" - bad guy shot and wounded the

police chief and as my son-in-law helped the chief out of the building, another LEO

hammered three mags of .45 through a bedroom wall, killing the bad guy, all in what

seemed like 10 seconds - great reloads.

But, I'm sure a 9mm or .40 would have done the job, also    :)

I've switched over to a 9mm myself - seems like the +P+ loads are Very Effective.

I've also carried all three calibers over the years and carry an AR. For me, the 9mm offered more advantages over disadvantages with its increased mag capacity and it has great penetrating power. More officer involved shootings on my department have been with 9mm and the Gold Dot projectile performs great. You are correct that the +P+ is a great load and very effective. My biggest concern on the job right now is not whiney snowflakes, they can cry all they want, it's an active shooter situation. That's why I have 4 9mm mags and 9 mags for my rifle that I can grab and go with right away.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, DeweyH said:

We are certainly not what we started as.  I'm OK/happy with that.  I'm not sure the founders would be unhappy with where we are.  If you look at some of those old photos of their equipment,  they definitely had racing on their mind.  I am a strong advocate of limited minor.  I believe that before we add any other division limited minor should be recognized as it's own division.  I think there are more numbers there than any of the new divisions.  

^^^ Needs to be done now!!

I'm only 57, but probably in another 15 years I'll be weak and feeble enough to see the attraction of having a separate division for limited minor. Maybe I could even win a plaque for high super senior in limited minor. My mom would be so proud. lol.

12 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I'm only 57, but probably in another 15 years I'll be weak and feeble enough to see the attraction of having a separate division for limited minor. Maybe I could even win a plaque for high super senior in limited minor. My mom would be so proud. lol.

By that time you'll be neck deep in Carry Optics

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

By that time you'll be neck deep in Carry Optics

I am ahead of the curve then. I have been dry-firing all week with my cheap used CO gun in preparation for shooting CO for a month or so before I get my new limited gat.

• 4 years later...

time to update this thread a bit..
Im a minor to major and back to minor fanboy...

because -

aint no limited major shooters around any more at my locals. they have all gone CO or Open.. and all the new guys coming in are shooting minor or CO... so I compete fine shooting 9.

shooting my gun in 9 is just way easier.. and the sights seem to behave better and the gun recoils less.

and on a long course is nice to have a few extra rounds to throw as instinctive make ups without doing math or think.

imo 9 is more fun to shoot.
-------

Ill likely swing back to major as the sectionals get closer... but for locals why not.