Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large hands, no space for weak hand on grip

Fancygunz

I have pretty large hands with long fingers and I'm right-handed. When I am gripping any of my full-size handguns (CZ-75B with LOK palm swell grips, full size HK45, etc.), my right hand fingers wrap so far around the grip that there's no room for my weak hand palm to touch the grip of the gun. This means my recoil management is very bad since my weak hand is holding my strong hand's fingers and not the gun itself.

I am able to shoot very accurately at a slow or moderate pace, but I end up having to re-grip and adjust my weak hand between every single shot so I can't shoot quickly. What can I do?

I am not a new shooter, been doing this for many years. I am trying to get into USPSA where speed is very important, so this is a big problem!

If I fully wrap my right hand around my 320 X5 grip it covers lot of grip. So I don't wrap my right hand fingers across the front as far as possible, to give left hand more room on grip and use my left hand to squeeze harder. Works well enough, I can shoot .13 or .14 splits with a striker fired production gun (not my match speed splits by any means). If it's a big enough problem, maybe try a Tanfo instead of a CZ. Or sig p320 has large grip modules, but I've never used one

10 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Place your weak hand on the grip, in the correct location, first.

It doesn't work like this. You get your initial grip with your strong hand.

The OP is already a good shot at moderate speed. He/she is probably be changing something when the speed picks up. Happens to all of us.:)

2 hours ago, lgh said:

He/she is probably be changing something when the speed picks up. Happens to all of us.:)

LOL still looking for the way things have changed...

Im 6'-9" and have large hands too. On my CZ Shadow 2 I ordered a set of LOK grips directly from the manufacturer, custom. They are as thick as the material stock will allow, adds about 0.070" thickness to each panel I believe.  Still not quite enough for perfect grip, but it helped a great deal for USPSA shooting.

You might try a grip enhancer on your left hand too. It's amazing how much better I shoot with a "remember to squeeze the left hand hard, dummy" reminder prior to a stage. New to this.

The reason I don’t shoot plastic guns much is because it is hard to find room for my support hand.  Tanfo or a 2011 with a PT Evo grip work much better for me.  If you can find one at a gun shop or range, you might want to try one.  If you do go to a USPSA event, I guarantee you will see some there.

I wear an XL glove, and I do what I can to make the grip as large as possible on my pistols. My Sp01 clone grip isn't big enough still, but it still works.    For your CZ75, you can order thicker grips or try a hogue wraparound grip with the grooves. 

But let me tell you, even without enough room for your support hand you should still be able to control the mild recoil  of your CZ.  If you are having to regrip, you aren't gripping hard enough. You may need to do some strength training with your grip, or just start utilizing the strength you have.  And if you haven't yet, maybe add grip tape to the front and back straps. 

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have the LOK G10 "palm swell bogies" which are extremely grippy, so I don't have any issues with my strong hand. I need to re-grip my weak hand because it's skin-on-skin and the recoil makes it slip. I don't think it's a matter of strength.

I could put on some kind of rubber wrap but then I lose the benefits of the G10 grips. Maybe I can try a grip enhancer on my weak hand. Thanks for the suggestions.

I think you can get a thicker version of those same grips. Maybe also try the grip goo so your hands are dry all over- dry skin is pretty grippy by itself. The finger grooves on the hogue grip will push your strong hand fingers forward making room for your weak hand. In the end, you might just need to shoot a bigger gun. I chose a CZ TS over a 2011 for limited, partly because of its huge grip.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Use pro grip or something similar.  I put it on the back(outside) on my right hand and on the inside of my left (support) hand.  You can really grind down as it makes hand on hand contact much less slick.  I now run a 2011 with a PT-Evo grip and find I don't need any added grip stuff on the actual grip area like I did with my Glocks.   I ran skateboard tape and Si Carbide on my Glock grips and still used progrip all over my hands to enhance the grip.

4 hours ago, Fancygunz said:

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have the LOK G10 "palm swell bogies" which are extremely grippy, so I don't have any issues with my strong hand. I need to re-grip my weak hand because it's skin-on-skin and the recoil makes it slip. I don't think it's a matter of strength.

I could put on some kind of rubber wrap but then I lose the benefits of the G10 grips. Maybe I can try a grip enhancer on my weak hand. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jayson can custom make grips for you. Just send him an email. I strongly recommend chalking. My hands sweat profusely during the summer, and i have to use chalk to handle skin-skin slippage.

I’m 6’4” but my hands are larger than my brother who is 6’10”. I have very large hands and fingers. Holding a CZ with palm swell grips my fingers still almost touch the base of my palm and there’s no way, even with over sized grips that there is going to be much space for my support hand to touch the grip. So after a ton of experimentation with both grip styles and grip sizes i have found that i get the best recoil control with a standard size grip, rock hard strength with the support hand (get some captains of crush 1.5 grippers on eBay) and then place the index finger of your support hand on the textured front of the trigger guard of your CZ (that’s what the texture is there for). This is the same grip that Eric Grauffel uses to win all his ipsc championships and it works really well for those with larger hands.
I also shoot a large frame tanfo, which also helps.

2c52bc6f71eebeda04e4ba658c81b814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have “larger than most” hands that can cross index finger and thumb around the grip. I am trying to find larger grips for my RIA double stacker. Not much out there, so next thing will be the bondo build up. I know the approximate shape because I tore off little pieces of blue masking tape and layered them up anywhere they felt right on the gun. About 1/2” deep on the backstrap to get l.o.p. right. Going to need a lots of bondo to do it right.