Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I just purchased a Ruger PC. Wondering how much difference a compensator makes on a 16 inch barrel. I am looking at the taccom two port comp.(2 oz) Anyone do any testing to see if one comp works better than the other? Dose anyone think  there would be an advantage to cutting the barrel down to 13 inches and then using the taccom 3 inch comp. (2.9 oz) 

Let me know what has worked best for you. 

Thanks 

General consensus has been that a comp does little for 9mm PCC performance other than making it louder and cooler looking.  At least on the AR9 platform.  I personally just use a thread nut now on my mine to avoid adding more weight.  I would be surprised if the Ruger were any different.

So all these people running $100 comps are just making the barrel heavier. I like the looks of one but there must be some bennifit. Or maybe not?
9mm + 16" barrel. Not a lot of energy left over to make a comp work. Search the forum and you'll see a lot on it. If the barrel is threaded u can buy one off ebay for $25 to judge for yourself before making a larger investment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've gone from 134 PF loads to 145 PF loads and see an improvement in dot movement. 

I do not know why it improved but it may be associated with the inexpensive comp on the end of the barrel.  Its a Miculek knock-off with two small (around 1/16" diameter) holes on top.

When I get some spare time at the range I plan on pulling the comp and see if anything changes, but that will be a month or so out.

I actually put comps on my PCC to blow a little additional noise back at the timer.  For that, its been successful.

When I had a .45 built for PCC, the SOs were complaining that it sounded suppressed and that the timers had a hard time picking up the last shot. So I put a comp on it to help with that. With the little gas expended with the .45, the comp does little more than make more noise for the timer. But that’s my experience. YMMV

On 4/20/2018 at 1:34 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

I just purchased a Ruger PC. Wondering how much difference a compensator makes on a 16 inch barrel. I am looking at the taccom two port comp.(2 oz) Anyone do any testing to see if one comp works better than the other? Dose anyone think  there would be an advantage to cutting the barrel down to 13 inches and then using the taccom 3 inch comp. (2.9 oz) 

Let me know what has worked best for you. 

Thanks 

Tried a comp ... it made zero difference so I sold it.  See if you can try one before wasting your money.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:51 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

So all these people running $100 comps are just making the barrel heavier. I like the looks of one but there must be some bennifit. Or maybe not?

Yep. 

The only benefit might be an extra three ounces, or so, of weight on the muzzle end.

Remember. Spending a hundred bucks on a comp, and then telling everyone that it doesn't work, is a hard pill to swallow. But they are cool. 

I dont have experience with the Ruger PCC but I do notice a difference in the followup shot on my CZ with the factory comp unsing my +P reloads if i am using factory standard pressure 9mm then the comp dosnt seem to do anything other than be loud.

• 3 months later...

I have that Taccom 2-chamber compensator on my Ruger PCC and the effect on muzzle jump is pretty much negligible.   However, my load (4.0 of TG and a 125 gr Blue Bullet RN) doesn't generate a large gas volume so it's not a real good test.

One warning, be careful how you install any muzzle device on a 9 mm barrel threaded 1/2-28 as the wall thickness under the threads is pretty thin.  Don't torque it heavily while "clocking" the device.  I used a crush washer but sanded it down until the comp oriented properly with only a few degrees of rotation after it got hand tight.