Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From the IPSC Global Village

Agenda for the IPSC General Assembly:

30) 2008 World Shoot XV venue

Candidate: Indonesia

24. Motion

That World Shoot XV in 2008 be held in the Region of Indonesia.

It appears that Indonesia is the only applicant..., usually they are submitted in advance, so either no-one else wanted to host it or they have not yet submitted their proposal.

Is there a reason the USPSA has not applied?

Is the USPSA the largest "member" of IPSC?

Sure would like to try a "World Shoot" but the $$$$$$, would have to skip everything that year and save up the $$$$$$$ or maybe the two years between World shoots :angry:

Hopalong

The WS in Florida was in 1986 and TGO won.

I believe there were a lot less shooters at this time than today !

I saw a video and it was held on a local Sherrif's range, can't remember which.

I would have thought much countries would have offered to host the WS, plus it would have been logical if an european country had hosted it.

I asked some Orlando folks and they said the 1986 World Shoot was on a Sheriff's range that was closer to I-95 than to Orlando.

2 out of every 3 WS matches take place at least 1000 miles from any indoor plumbing so that disqualifies the USA except for once a decade. Be nice if this decade had one though.

I believe the "life rate" in candidate country is a big point.

If my memory is right, Denmark proposed to host the 2004 Europeans, but it seems that the cost of life was one of the major factor for the Europeans to go to Czech republic.

I love 3 rd world countries

The list so far includes:

Venezuela

Uruguay

Argentina

Mexico

Bahamas

Jamaica

Morocco

UAE

Qatar

Iran

Parts of Spain :)

Most of Portugal :)

Teneriffe

South Africa, staying out of the cities it is 3rd world

Zimbabwe

Malayasia

Thailand

India

Indonesia

Philippines

Oh hell, there are some others, I just can't remember, but they were all fun, save India :ph34r:

1000 rounds for the match and 1500 rounds to get to and from your hotel. Where else can you get that kind of warm up. I'm sure the cost of hotels in cheaper in some of these holes but so is the cost of life!

Actually from past experience I can tell you that the cost of the hotels is not that cheap. I have stayed at Hotels in Philippines, Brazil, Sweden, Germany, Greece while shooting in Europeans or World Shoots and the cost is about the same wherever you go. The reason is that the hotels where shooters tend to stay are the higher quality ones (for security reasons), you can get rooms in similar quality hotels in USA for less money.

With the low value of the dollar at the moment it is quite likely that someone visiting USA from Europe would find a cheaper and better hotel in USA than they would in Ecuador..

Any World Shoot is a $3000 affair, no matter where it is...

Thread drift:

Shots? We need shots?

CDC recommended vaccinations for "tropical South America" (plus other good guidelines re: what to bring, what to wear, what *not* to do)

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/tropsam.htm

Malaria and Yellow Fever recommendations

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/y...ssNav=browseoyb

A comprehensive vaccination chart from IAMAT

http://www.iamat.org/pdf/WorldImmunization.pdf

BTW - IAMAT is a great resource - their charter is to provide medical assistance to travelers, they are a great resource for finding an english-speaking western-trained doctor when far from home (sorry to sound so "ugly American"), and... membership is free.

Bruce

Shots? We need shots?

My mother was pestering me to get Hepatitis-A and tetanus shots for Cancun. Maybe I should have.

We don't need shots. I went to the travel clinic and they loaded me up. An overdue tetanus here, extra MMR there (nowdays you're supposed to get two), yellow fever over on the other arm and the first year's worth of Hepatitis A. Plus pills for typhoid and malaria. None of this is actually required unless you're coming from another yellow fever country, and the word is the city of Guyaquil is technically not on the bad part of the yellow fever and malaria maps. There's a little white circle in the middle of the grey zone that says 'Guyaquil' on it.

Some of this is also due to my trip to Peru later this year and some of my other planned gallivanting around central america-- might as well get a two-fer.

Then there's all kinds of fun things you can still get that can't be vaccinated for like Dengue, Chagas, Cholera, etc, etc.

Oh yeah, you're supposed to get shots 4 weeks before going, so go now or don't bother.

mm... Typhoid..

The vaccination is not mandatory, but this is recommended, especially yellow fever. I just did some of them (Hepatitis A, Yellow fever) and I'm gonna do some more (Typhoide and one other I just can't remenber). But you have to plan it in advance. Because there are some later effects.

You also have to take care about food, especially fruits, water...

Nice country ! ;)

spook, I'm staying in the Sheraton with ong45. Gotta make sure we meet. Probably easy to find you on the range with a revolver, right?

Cool! You will be the first US-based benos members I meet in person. Yeah, I'll make sure we meet. Can miss. I'm 6'2", with benos' posture, carry a wheelgun around. I'll be the one screwing up the reloads...;)

Looking forward to it! :)