Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's it take to remove the Rear sight on a shadow 2?

kmanick

s it just those 2 locking bolts at the front? I just got one of the CZ custom Shop Dovetail Optic mounts and would love to try it
but I need to know what I'm getting into, do I need a sight push? does the elevation screw need to be removed as well?
I'm hoping this is very simple as I will be putting the rear sight back on fairly quickly, if I like this I will be buying another shadow 2
to use the optic on full time. 
thanks
Nick

I used a hammer and punch to remove the sight on my SP01.  The old sight eventually got removed and new sight installed but it wasn't pretty or easy.

When it came time to replace the sight on my TS, I used a $50 sight pusher. One of the best gun related tools I've purchased!

VTUPRS-w.jpg

I would really recommend a sight pusher. I also recommend spending some money & getting a good one because it will work on many different guns and many different platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

My Shadow 2 was shooting 5" to the left at 25 yards, so I needed to move it a little.  My rear sight on my Shadow 2 was so tight, my universal sight pusher wouldn't budge it.  Because of the shape of the slide (angled top), there wasn't enough bearing surface to keep the slide from twisting in the sight pusher.  I finally had to put it in a vice and pound the shit out of it with a hammer and punch just to move it 1/32".  And, yes, I removed the set screws before I started.  I may be in the market for a better sight pusher.  Muncie21, do you know if the sight mover you have pictured would work on the Shadow 2?

1 hour ago, Almo said:

My Shadow 2 was shooting 5" to the left at 25 yards, so I needed to move it a little.  My rear sight on my Shadow 2 was so tight, my universal sight pusher wouldn't budge it.  Because of the shape of the slide (angled top), there wasn't enough bearing surface to keep the slide from twisting in the sight pusher.  I finally had to put it in a vice and pound the shit out of it with a hammer and punch just to move it 1/32".  And, yes, I removed the set screws before I started.  I may be in the market for a better sight pusher.  Muncie21, do you know if the sight mover you have pictured would work on the Shadow 2?

That's the sight pusher I use on my Shadow 1. It has adjustable contact pads to locate the slide at different heights. I don't see why it wouldn't work on an S2.

2 hours ago, Almo said:

Muncie21, do you know if the sight mover you have pictured would work on the Shadow 2?

It's not designed around one particular frame/design, so it includes attachments to allow for different sights & frames.  While I have not personally used it on a S2, I have on both TS and TSO pistols.  With the adjustability built into this thing, I'm pretty confident it would work on a S2. 

My concern was the shape of the Shadow 2 slide - basically triangular with no real flat vertical surface to push against.  It twists in my universal sight mover.  Has anyone had experience with a sight mover that definitely worked on the Shadow 2?

I used the MGW Sight Pro to change out my S2 rear sight. Didn’t want to hammer out the rear sight in case I wanted to reuse it later. Had to heat up one of the set screws because of thread locker. After that, the rear sight was very tight and I was glad I got the sight pusher. The sight pusher I have can be mounted in a vise so it will be easier to remove and install the rear sight. 

I think that a lot it depends on the gun. On my Shadow Canadian, I just had to remove the screw and it would just tap out. With my regular shadow which is the same sight and frame, it would not come off no matter how hard I tapped. I got a sight pusher, and even using that it was very difficult to remove the rear sight,  it idid end up coming off though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Sight-Tool sight mover and it worked pretty good.  It really holds the slide in place and keeps it from twisting.  Setting it up is fairly involved, but not too bad once you're used to it.  One thing they don't tell you in the instructions, that is very useful when changing the direction you're pushing the sight, is that you can remove the pin holding in the silver bar that the pusher rides on, withdraw the bar, and put the pusher back on in the opposite direction.

The two lock screws are a friction fit.  So, unless you had them so tight that they formed dimples, you'll have to zero it.  You wouldn't want that because, if you had to move your sight to get it adjusted, you wouldn't want it slipping back into the old position.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:55 PM, dansedgli said:

Hammer and punch for me. Had to hit it hard to get it out the first time.

I've swapped over the CO mount twice now and install and removal is much easier for both the sight and mount.

How did you like the co mount I'm currently in the contemplation of running that or getting the slide milled.

NoA sight pusher tool will get the old one out no problem, and will push a properly fitted sight in place just fine.

But if you are going to be installing new sights yourself, you really need a basic set of files and a punch (brass, aluminum, or nylon tipped) 

Some new sights will drift right in, but some need to be fitted a little (or a lot)

It's not hard and just takes patience to do a good job. The new sight should be a softer metal than your slide, so a sight pusher makes it easy to press too hard and tear up the new sight- so if you go that route, just be careful.  Dawson has some videos: