Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upcoming Articles/Interviews

February 25 thru 28, I'm going to be in Arizona taking a four day class from Matt Burkett. I have an assignment from Front Sight, while I'm there, to interview Brian Enos, Matt Burkett, and Don Golembieski, and write them up, each in their own article. BTW this all came out of my reading j1b's comment on how we (USPSA) aren't taking advantage of the great, interesting personalities available in the sport, publicity-wise.

So, what questions would you guys like me to ask these guys during the interviews? What questions would you like answered, what stories told?

P.S.

My article on the Factory Gun Nationals is on the stands this month in Gun World, if anyone's interested.

In order to compare apples with apples, some of the questions need to lay a foundation.

Back ground info: age, shooting background

what got them interested to the point of starting to shoot competitively.  What peaks their interest now, about shooting?  If they were starting now, compare and contrast what they did then as to what they would do now.  The 3 things which helped them most to achieve what they have during their careers.  When they hit a slump how do they get out of it.  Pre match routine, pre stage routine during the match.  What are their short and long term  1 yr vs 3 yr goals.

Just a start, I will add more later.

Why shoot competitively?  Why not some other sport (golf, tennis, bridge...)?  What's different about shooting that made them stick with it?

What drives them nuts about shooting or the shooting community?  What's their biggest rant?

What drives them as competitors?

If they could only one blaster to compete with, what would it be?

How do they compare the GM's of today vs. the GM's of yesterday?

What single piece of advice can they give to a new/novice shooter?  ...to a B, A or M class shooter?

If they could change one single thing about USPSA, what would it be?

Other than USPSA/IPSC, what is their favorite shooting sport?

What other sports (non-shooting) do they find challenging?

What is their favorite caliber and why?

Favorite Area Match?

Favorite Nationals (any year) and why?

Quote: from Duane Thomas on 2:18 pm on Jan. 20, 2003

So, what questions would you guys like me to ask these guys during the interviews? What questions would you like answered, what stories told?

Lol...I thought we covered all  that on these forums

What I would like to hear is who were their influences to get into the sport, and who they see as the best and brightest up and comers.  Also, Brian has shared some interesting thoughts on what changes/improvements he would like to see in USPSA.  Why not share some of these thoughts beyond the Enosverse boundary, and would also like to hear Matt and Don's take on that subject.

DT- First off, *superb* job on your FGN "Gun World" article!

Regarding the AZ interviews; make certain to ask those cats a ton of questions about Robbie….they love that ;)

Seriously, I would like to see you cover more of the current hot-rods for the Front Sight next. People who I think would make great articles (and who have been completely neglected by FS) are Phil Strader, Adam Popplewell, and Max Michel. They all have interesting side notes. For example, Adam is a Veterinarian. Phil, as you probably know is freakin’ hilarious and an incredible personality.

People would like to know where they came from, and how come they can spank the legends. And in the case of Adam and Phil, how did they get to be contenders with out factory support or major sponsorship. You can do it!

Have fun in AZ!

I only want one question answered, Duane...

Why can't I go with you?

Seriously, I would like details on:

1. The most intense training regime they ever sustained

2. The most beneficial training regime they have used.

3. The breakdown of a typical live fire session.

4. The breakdown of a typical live fire session.

Oh yeah, ask Matt how far the target was on the .71 reload...

SA

Duane

I thought one of the best interviews I ever read was in the first article of GunGames with Robbie. It covered success and failure, Insight and controversy. There were so many components to the article that made it fun, and it was great to see (for those that don't know him) that Rob is just a guy like everyone else.

I don't know how much you watch golf - but the thing about the golfers that offers so much appeal is their personality. Tiger has so many different phases and personas. David Duval is so intense but has struggled so much - his interviews reflect so much humility. Sergio is so cocky, Phil Mickelson is so . . . well . . . so unwilling to admit defeat. I think the thing about the articles that are so cool is the components that got them where they are, and the aspect that they are people and have personalities. Those are the types of articles I would like to see.

I really appreciate you giving me credit for the idea - you're the one running with it though. Credit should never be given to the guy with the idea - it should only be given to the guy that makes it happen. My hat is off to you!

JB

"DT- First off, *superb* job on your FGN "Gun World" article!"

T, you are, as always, too kind.

BTW guys, for anyone's who's interested, the Sigarms Quarterly is about to come back. I've got two articles in the first issue. One,  "SIGs in Competition," covers IDPA's Stock Service Pistol and USPSA's Production divisions. The second is an interview with David Olhasso. The article's already been written - went in the mail this past Friday. It turned out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.