Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses recommendations

Wrathen

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I tried ESS early on and found the lenses to get scratched or dull after a season of use and cleaning.

I actually bought a second clear lens thinking I must have gotten something on the originals.  They always seem like I'm looking through a thin film of something.  I wipe them with a soft cloth and they're fine for a while, then I'm looking through a haze again.  It's almost like the haze on the windshield of your car from the dashboard plastics outgassing.

Bought the Rudy glasses through the link at the start of the thread.  I went with the Magster version in the link as well, with the ImpactX, photochromic, clear to laser black lens.  After I placed the order I received a confirmation email with a 50% off my next purchase coupon.  I went back to try and order a set of clear lenses but they were sold out, and since the Magster is being made obsolete they won't be re-stocking them.  So instead I added the ImpactX, clear to laser brown HDR lens as I am a fan of the ESS Copper HD.  I almost switched to the Rydon with the clear to red lenses, but figured for about $12 difference, I actually get two lenses with the Magster so stayed with those.

Took me a while to decide, there are so many options.  Ultimately I had an overload and just went with the Magsters.  They're similar enough to the Rydon and on sale were only $164 with the ImpactX lenses.

I should call and see about getting the Rx inserts before those aren't available, but I think the girl on the phone was pretty busy.  She was very helpful and pleasant when I called to add the second lens set, but she sounded very rushed.  I didn't want to keep asking her questions about additional items that I likely wouldn't have added today anyway.

As always, thanks for the help!  I have to stop coming here.  I swear it ends up costing me money every time.

58 minutes ago, clw42 said:

I actually bought a second clear lens thinking I must have gotten something on the originals.  They always seem like I'm looking through a thin film of something.  I wipe them with a soft cloth and they're fine for a while, then I'm looking through a haze again.  It's almost like the haze on the windshield of your car from the dashboard plastics outgassing.

Bought the Rudy glasses through the link at the start of the thread.  I went with the Magster version in the link as well, with the ImpactX, photochromic, clear to laser black lens.  After I placed the order I received a confirmation email with a 50% off my next purchase coupon.  I went back to try and order a set of clear lenses but they were sold out, and since the Magster is being made obsolete they won't be re-stocking them.  So instead I added the ImpactX, clear to laser brown HDR lens as I am a fan of the ESS Copper HD.  I almost switched to the Rydon with the clear to red lenses, but figured for about $12 difference, I actually get two lenses with the Magster so stayed with those.

Took me a while to decide, there are so many options.  Ultimately I had an overload and just went with the Magsters.  They're similar enough to the Rydon and on sale were only $164 with the ImpactX lenses.

I should call and see about getting the Rx inserts before those aren't available, but I think the girl on the phone was pretty busy.  She was very helpful and pleasant when I called to add the second lens set, but she sounded very rushed.  I didn't want to keep asking her questions about additional items that I likely wouldn't have added today anyway.

As always, thanks for the help!  I have to stop coming here.  I swear it ends up costing me money every time.

Yeah cheap lenses will get bad without you even notice it. Since I drop, throw, lose glasses doing yard work etc I just wear $8 safety sunglasses for everything but shooting. They last a long time before the break but they quickly get blurry from being wiped clean regularly. I buy them by the dozen on amazon and change them out regularly. Every time I put on a new pair things become so much clearer. ESS do th same thing it just takes a little longer.

With Rudy I just swap out lenses every few years for $25.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Yeah cheap lenses will get bad without you even notice it. Since I drop, throw, lose glasses doing yard work etc I just wear $8 safety sunglasses for everything but shooting. They last a long time before the break but they quickly get blurry from being wiped clean regularly. I buy them by the dozen on amazon and change them out regularly. Every time I put on a new pair things become so much clearer. ESS do th same thing it just takes a little longer.

With Rudy I just swap out lenses every few years for $25.

Well that's interesting.  Since I bought something that they're making obsolete, I wonder if I'll be able to get new lenses if/when the time comes.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I would get that verified before they ship. Lifetime replacement don’t mean much if they are not made anymore

Looks like they're covered.

" The Rudy Project Replacement Lens Guarantee (RLG) covers all lens damage (e.g., scratching) from use or activity on all RP Optic, Polar 3FX or ImpactX Lenses made by Rudy Project and on products that are in the current year's Product Catalog. "

I got confirmation by phone as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, I had my eye exam. I found out that I needed to wear readers now at 175. My distant vision is still 20/20 but anything 3 feat or less is blurry. 

When I’m shooting and wearing my regular Oakley glasses, the front sight is blurry but the target is clear. However, when I wear my readers, the front sight is clear but the target is blurry and anything past 3 feet with my readers on is very blurry. So I told my optometrist that I needed a pair of shooting glasses which has magnification for my dominant eye (right eye) so I can see the front sight clearly and none for my left eye so I can see the target clearly. 

He did some more tests for both eyes and determined that 100 magnification for right eye and zero magnification for left eye is the best combination I can have. I took the prescription and ordered my shooting glasses with Oakley since I get a substantial discount at Oakleysi.com. No more problems seeing the front sight and the target clearly and I’m very happy.

7 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

I shoot in my glass lensed costa!  I wear them every day at work and a year and a half later they are still exceptionally clear.

Well of course they are clear. They are glass. They are also doing nothing towards safety. We had 2 cases where they shattered on impact. They are banned from our work sight. I won't shoot in them. 

1 hour ago, tcazes said:

Well of course they are clear. They are glass. They are also doing nothing towards safety. We had 2 cases where they shattered on impact. They are banned from our work sight. I won't shoot in them. 

I build houses for a living...they have been dropped to the concrete countless times and even hit with splatter at the range and haven't budged and I won't wear anything else.  Sounds like I would change job sites.

6 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

I build houses for a living...they have been dropped to the concrete countless times and even hit with splatter at the range and haven't budged and I won't wear anything else.  Sounds like I would change job sites.

Yea no thanks. If they were actually impact rated that's one thing but they simply aren't. Too many just as good if not better options out there

I guess my choice is a bit down budget from most of the suggestions but here goes.

I have the Top Focal kit from SSP eyewear. I have a 1.0 correction in my dominant eye that takes away the double front sight I see due to astigmatism.

They do have a Z87.1 +2015 impact rating. I feel protected and can see my front sight clearly. 

Haven't had them a long time but hoping they hold up.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...