Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC FTF after kaboom

Hello, 

first post! I started having FTF issues in my PCC after trying some hollow points. On the hollow point the round did feed, but a sloppy feed at that. That round did kaboom, and I’m suspecting that the bullet hit the ramp in such a way as the push the bullet further into the case. 

I did inspect the firearm further and didn’t see any cracks or signs of further wear. 

However, ever since then the gun hasn’t been able to load anything, even fml ball ammo. 

I did install the taccom ramp and still having issues. 

Im wondering if it’s necessary to get a whole new barrel and bolt combo? 

Also the only mod to the gun is a 308 carbine buffer, but beyond that the gun is as is. (It’s an ATI milsport). 

Thank you for your time! 

C2D5EEB5-79CE-4996-B357-5DD04E4456D6.jpeg

Are you 100% sure there isn't any brass left in the chamber? I've had a few case head separations recently where the head came off and left a ring of brass in the chamber. In my case, it was a bad batch of factory ammo.

If you separate the upper and lower, then remove the bolt you can hold the barrel vertical and "plunk" test by dropping a round in the chamber. If you have a ring of brass that would explain why you can't chamber another round.

I got the remaining ring out by threading a 3/8-24 tap into the brass, then tapping it out via a rod from the muzzle. After clearing it I've had several hundred rounds of trouble free performance, and that was after 3 severe case head separations.

2 minutes ago, MikeRush said:

Are you 100% sure there isn't any brass left in the chamber? I've had a few case head separations recently where the head came off and left a ring of brass in the chamber. In my case, it was a bad batch of factory ammo.

If you separate the upper and lower, then remove the bolt you can hold the barrel vertical and "plunk" test by dropping a round in the chamber. If you have a ring of brass that would explain why you can't chamber another round.

I got the remaining ring out by threading a 3/8-24 tap into the brass, then tapping it out via a rod from the muzzle. After clearing it I've had several hundred rounds of trouble free performance, and that was after 3 severe case head separations.

Oh I never even thought of that. Thanks!! I’ll try that out in the morning! 

3 minutes ago, thermobollocks said:

I've had that exact same thing happen to me -- I'm curious if it can be narrowed down to any specific root cause, like .mil brass with the stab crimp, or if it's just a result of overpressure from any of the several ways you can produce bad ammo.

and some other threads ;)

So I’m quite sure it’s a lost case that’s stuck into the wall of the chamber. I’ve tried using a carpenter bolt and so far no luck. Gonna pickup the project again tomorrow and if no more such luck I’ll look at getting a smith to remove it...

thanks all! 

yep this happened to me with Blazer aluminum and the aluminum case seemed welded in place, looked just like a clean chamber.  I wasn't too worried about hurting the cheap barrel, so I used a round file ( with forward part safetaped) and it grabbed it and pulled it out. I wouldn't do this on a high dollar barrel or with any more effort except a light stab and pull